U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:30 PM

1,279 posts, read 2,865,187 times

Advertisements

How attached cats are to their owners? (VIDEO) | Best Online Videos | EdisProduction.de

Does anyone here have a cat they think would behave otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 08:22 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,781,702 times
I'm glad you found this. I saw it the other day and lost it before I could post. I think it is hilarious. A real cat lover would not be surprised. Isn't that why we love them? they are so cool and discriminating and when they honor us with loyalty or affection we feel so special.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:44 PM

15,815 posts, read 9,762,375 times
They should tell us something we don't already know ! Some cats are more attached than others, for example, Lucky is always by my side. If I am on the couch he is laying on my lap or my arm, and if I get up he follows me. He is my cat. Chewy loves me but is my Son's cat 100%. If he is napping on my lap and he hears my Son come in he totally forgets about me and runs to great him. I am just a substitute when he isn't around.

Our newest kitty, Daisy, is very independent, but is getting warmer toward us. She now climbs up under the blanket when we are napping on the couch and snuggles on my feet. But I don't ever see her as being a lap cat like the other two.

Don

Old 12-18-2013, 10:29 PM

1,279 posts, read 2,865,187 times
exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm glad you found this. I saw it the other day and lost it before I could post. I think it is hilarious. A real cat lover would not be surprised. Isn't that why we love them? they are so cool and discriminating and when they honor us with loyalty or affection we feel so special.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:55 AM

5,886 posts, read 11,808,217 times
What a load of bull that video is. This just facilitates the fallacy that people who are too lazy to pay attention to their pets should get cats because they are "standoffish and independent". Most cats I know, if brought into a strange room with a strange person wouldn't even leave their carriers for at least an hour, before attempting to explore, let alone play with a stranger.

These kind of "studies" really make me angry.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:37 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,615,144 times
I agree catsmom. Right, how many cats are comfortable in a strange environment? Also, did you notice that the 'stranger' was not playing with the dog when the owner returned but was when the cat's owner did? That is not science, to be an experiment all variables must be the same. Also someone noted the sample was 20 cats, that's a very small number if correct. Seriously, what was this guy trying to prove?

I had a cat that jumped into my arms when I had been gone for a couple of weeks and another that turned her back on me when she was angry. They are truly individuals but they DO attach to their humans, it's just quite different from how dogs attach. Birds I imagine attach as well but I'd bet it's also different from dogs or cats. (I've never had birds except a baby sparrow that my former husband brought home and it attached to me as a food source!)

Cripes. It's a no brainer that cats don't attach like dogs but they attach. If you want a pet that will attach like a dog, then duh, get a dog. I have dogs and I love them dearly but I also love my cats because they're cats. Bleh, I'm on a rant, huh? Sorry, this really yanked my chain this morning. Ignore me please if it yanks yours.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:16 PM

580 posts, read 1,144,296 times
I actually appreciated the video, not because it's science or legit, but because I have often yearned for my domestic cat to be more loving and affectionate like I see in many videos posted on this site. To see the cat ignore the owner was something I'm very familiar with. Our other cat is a feral and I can't get close to her or she'll scratch and bite me, but she'll let a stranger pet her, and let's the vet stick thermometers up her butt mainly to get a fresh stool sample [smear], look in her ears, open her mouth and look at her teeth and I'm just amazed that after 8 years, she still will not let me touch her, she sleeps with my partner, gets brushed daily, is lovey and purrs, but me, no way. The only time she'll put up with me is when I feed her, then she'll allow a short pet or two. Overdo it and I get nailed. And she packs a punch. She has a surprisingly fast and hard bite stike. I love them both regardless, cats are just the neatest creatures and they always surprise me where we find them sleeping, our feral was asleep in the punch bowl yesterday we got out because we're having a Christmas get together, it is an upside down cake dish if anyone knows what that is, i.e., she had to be VERY careful getting in or it would have tipped over, she jumped out before we could take a picture, dam! Will have to make sure no one gets hair with their punch!

Old 12-19-2013, 08:03 PM

7,678 posts, read 5,150,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
What a load of bull that video is. This just facilitates the fallacy that people who are too lazy to pay attention to their pets should get cats because they are "standoffish and independent". Most cats I know, if brought into a strange room with a strange person wouldn't even leave their carriers for at least an hour, before attempting to explore, let alone play with a stranger.

These kind of "studies" really make me angry.
I totally agree. This so-called experiment proves nothing, at least to me. My 5 cats all show their affection to me in different ways and varying degrees, because they all have different personalities. None of them rush to greet me when I come home from work, nor have they ever. However, during the course of the evening, each one will come and demand their attention and 'quality' time with me. Some sleep with me on a regular basis, and some do only on occasion. Only 2 of the 5 will come out to greet a visitor to my home, and 1 will allow a stranger to pet her if she's in the mood. The remaining 2 will find an appropriate bunker and hide until the evil stranger is gone. Overall I spend a good portion of my time at home giving attention to all of my cats, most of the time at their request.
The idea that cats are aloof or 'low maintenance', and don't require love and attention from their humans is a complete myth.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:27 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,167,446 times
I think the experiment is bogus. Anyone who knows cats well understands the importance to a cat of his "Territory". You can't take a cat into an unknown territory and expect that cat to be anywhere near it's self. The cat in that room is not thinking about much else but WTF am I?????

Old 12-21-2013, 09:39 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,615,144 times
LOL lucknow, exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or