U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 07:10 AM

2,050 posts, read 1,762,143 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if this cat is spayed/neutered? If not, those hormones could be at work--causing aggression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 08:15 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,606,338 times
If you're going to give the kitty a home you should take it to the vet ASAP. Get it checked for worms and have it spayed/neutered, that should decrease it's aggression. Some cats are 'mouthy' and will use their paws to gain attention regardless. We have a cat that will paw at us for attention, he doesn't hurt but will snag us with his claw once in a while. I had a cat that would use her teeth to grab my clothing when she wanted my attention, it was hilarious when she didn't grab my bra - seriously! She's snap it if she was sitting behind me and could get a hold of it. But most cats once they learn to trust you will not bite or scratch unless they are overstimulated, afraid, hurt, ill or trying to escape. My friend had an aggressive cat and discovered she had an undiagnosed seizure disorder, she never had an obvious seizure but once she started medication for them she was much less aggressive.

I so hope you and this kitty find your way through the adjustment time without further incident. It sounds like the kitty wants to live with you, not all kitties want to live with all people you know! They are selective, we have a cat that ran away from his home and chose ours. His owners got a new dog that he didn't like, he preferred our dog =)

Best advise is to give it time and have patience.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:20 AM

9,918 posts, read 19,678,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Jay, I agree with all the advice given to you .... and I'd add that I think YOU should see a Doctor to get a tetanus shot and probably the rabies prophylactic shots, as the cat obviously hasn't had the rabies vaccinations.

And don't weird out about taking the rabies prophylactic shots; they are not horribly painful as was true in the past. I know, because I've taken the series myself.

As I read in your posts, this now semi-feral cat has both scratched and bitten you. So you are at risk for rabies because of the possibility of the cat being in an early stage of rabies. This is serious stuff! Do an online search about it. Here's just one of the many I easily found:
Rabies - a fatal disease that affects animals and humans - learn more about rabies

That is actually probably good advice, although the part in bold is not necessarily true, not obvious at all. If the cat is examined and found to be spayed or neutered, then it would be reasonable to conclude that it was also vaccinated. It would mean either the cat was TNR'd at some point in the past (is one of the ears tipped? Sometimes this is done to make them easy to identify) or it was once someone's pet. The latter is perhaps more likely in this case given that the cat has taken to coming inside and giving attention to a person. A true feral I don't think would do that after only a few months, although every scenario and every cat is different.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:45 AM

Good thinking Macrina. I've had the rabies vaccination as well and can attest that the shots are not painful except the ones they injected by the wound. They are however expensive. Insurance will pay for them however, so that's something to check. Hadn't thought of that danger, sheesh. Rabies can go dormant and is a serious danger as I was told by our Animal Control and Health Department, the latter even had a fund to help pay for the vaccinations if my insurance didn't. They now give the shots in your arm so don't be concerned about getting them in your abdomen, that's no longer the case.

It most likely isn't a feral cat as it is allowing Jay to touch it, ferals don't do that in my experience. They are wary of human contact so it was someone's pet at some point and may have had some or all vaccinations. Your local ASPCA or Humane Society may offer low cost or free rabies vaccinations for kitty, check to see. We have vouchers here that cover all the basics for both dogs and cats that local vets accept. There are also low cost and even free neutering/spay clinics available. Just call the ASPCA or Humane Society I'm sure they'll be able to give you the information.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:38 AM

3,856 posts, read 4,276,729 times
I happened to get a tetanus shot a few months ago. I guess I can get rabies shots for this cat and myself. It might have had them already because it seems to have been someone's pet at one time. not only does it let me touch, it is the most affectionate animal I ever came across. Also it far prefers to be indoors. It never wants to go outside.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:55 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,577,145 times
Stop that silly "punishment".

Let the cat back in.

This time don't steal his blanket.

And keep your face away from his claws.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:42 AM

4,787 posts, read 8,752,051 times
This was obviously someone's pet. You would never get close to a true feral. However, the stress of having to survive on its own for a pet cat is severe. It will take many months for the cat to truly calm down and feel secure and safe.

Learn to speak "cat". Don't take things from the cat. If you want the blanket, food bowls, toys, etc. wait until the cat is not using them. Keep your face away from the cat. Face to face is an aggressive move in cat language unless there is total trust. This cat is not there yet.

The rabies concern is going to open a can of worms. If you tell a vet a stray cat bit you, they are obligated to report that. The cat may be taken and put down as they only way they can test for rabies is to kill it and test its brain.

If you tell them it is your cat and you have had it for months but never had it vaccinated, you may get an opportunity to quarantine it at your home or maybe at the vet's. Hard to say what scenario will happen.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:29 AM

Hmm, must be different depending on where you live. When I was bit by the stray they were going to quarantine the cat if we could catch it. They didn't mention killing it - were they feeding me a line? I guess that's possible? Or possibly they were thinking it was really my neighbors' pet? It did rub up against me so I'm sure it wasn't feral. Anyway, it's a good idea to get both you and kitty vaccinated to be safe vs. sorry. My vet said double rabies vaccinations are not dangerous, I had the same question about the bad boy who showed up at our door. He didn't have his shots and wasn't ill by the way, just a man hater, with good reason we think.

Since the kitty doesn't want to go out at all I'd say it has to be someone's abandoned pet. It could even be a lost pet, have you checked online to see? It might even be chipped, I'd have it scanned. Again, when the stray guy showed up I took him to Animal Control to be scanned although he wasn't neutered so I didn't think he'd be chipped and he wasn't. Turned out he was a stray someone had found and had been feeding with a bunch of other cats.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:14 PM

4,787 posts, read 8,752,051 times
I think what happens to the cat much depends on where you live and how you approach your relationship to the cat.

Look at what happened to the cat in " cat attacks lady" video. It was killed to test for rabies. It was certainly not truly feral. But maybe if someone had claimed it as owned, they may have quarantined it ??

Old 12-19-2013, 02:30 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,640,051 times
Please keep taking care of this cat. It may have been tossed for behavior issues but now has found a "home" with you. We took in our Lola and while we don't know what had happened to her in the past, she never got over her fear of people. As she got older, she did mellow, but we were never able to even hold her. For years, she hated it when we made her stay in the house during cold weather, but eventually was glad to have a warm home and food in her dish.

Take the cat to the vet asap for shots and a checkup. Acknowledge that the cat may never be cuddly or even seem appreciative. We felt that our Lola loved us to the best of her ability and that might be the best that you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats