U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2013, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Yakima WA
3,858 posts, read 4,281,103 times
Reputation: 3155

Advertisements

Not to downplay the risk but I just read there have only been 50 rabbies related deaths among humans in the U.S since 1990, 2/3rds of those cases were caused by bat bites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2013, 07:48 PM
 
9,727 posts, read 3,445,686 times
Reputation: 10761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
For the past few months I have been feeding a stray cat and letting it in on cold nights. The cat has bonded with me and been affectionate. Lately it has taken my hospitality for granted. Actually it has become hostile. When I moved a blanket it was sitting on it bit me. Then yesterday for no reason at all it (not sure of it's gender) scatched my face hard. If the scratch was any closer to my eye it would have been a medical emergency. I kicked it out. That was 24 hours ago and to the cats surprise I did not feed it today or let it in. It's meowing and scratching on the window trying to make me feel guilty. It's almost working but I'm staying strong. I just look at the scratch mark on my face and I don't give in. Too bad the cat doesn't understand that you dont bite the hand that feeds you.

Am I being too cruel considering it's used to being fed twice a day? Is a cat capable of learning a lesson? If in a few days I let it back in will it make it a priority not to attack me? Or will a cat raised outdoors not change it's behavior no matter what?

Well, here is my opinion. lol I don't think an outside cat should be brought inside because it is wild. The cat is used to eating rodents and believe it or not that is a good thing! Leave it alone! Cats are independent and are meant to be outside. If you want an inside pet just get a dog.

The poor cat is probably traumatized and that is why it is acting out. Capiche?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 PM
 
Location: southern kansas
7,599 posts, read 5,108,665 times
Reputation: 16315
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Well, here is my opinion. lol I don't think an outside cat should be brought inside because it is wild. The cat is used to eating rodents and believe it or not that is a good thing! Leave it alone! Cats are independent and are meant to be outside. If you want an inside pet just get a dog.

The poor cat is probably traumatized and that is why it is acting out. Capiche?
Seriously?
I'm trying to figure out why I'm even responding to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2013, 05:29 AM
 
511 posts, read 691,106 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Sorry the cat hurt you but I think you and the cat have an expectation issue. The cat may think the blanket is his and was annoyed when you moved it so bit. If you were interacting with the cat when it scratched your face it may have been overstimulated. Cats will scratch and/or bite if overstimulated. They give subtle clues before attacking when overstimulated but even experienced owners can miss them, I did and got an infection when my cat bit me.

Cats do not understand punishment so I'm sorry to say yes you are being cruel to the cat by withholding food and shelter. They live completely in the moment and cannot make the leap between scratching and biting you and the withholding of food and shelter. It isn't trying to make you feel guilty either, it is trying to get its needs met as it has in the past and doesn't understand why you are ignoring it. If you give in it will thank you.

Cats can and will change but it is a slow, slow process. We had a cat that hated men. It would attack my brother although it would ask him to pet it. He would do it knowing he'd be scratched and/or bit because he didn't want it to fear him. Eventually the cat learned he wouldn't harm it and would sleep in his lap. The key is consistency, kindness and patience. You'll have to learn what the cat's boundaries are and the cat will learn and respect yours. They are intelligent, loyal and affectionate beings. I hope this helps.
So true! We have one that we took in off the street that I would never have dreamed would be the loving,lap cat he is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2013, 05:45 AM
 
511 posts, read 691,106 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Well, here is my opinion. lol I don't think an outside cat should be brought inside because it is wild. The cat is used to eating rodents and believe it or not that is a good thing! Leave it alone! Cats are independent and are meant to be outside. If you want an inside pet just get a dog.

The poor cat is probably traumatized and that is why it is acting out. Capiche?
So totally not true!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2013, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Ft. Myers
15,608 posts, read 9,664,364 times
Reputation: 34422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
So totally not true!!
How do we know it isn't true, has anyone asked the cat ? We make all these assumptions based on what we humans think an animal is thinking, but we forget they are an animal. We feel that just because we provide a safe environment for our cats that this is the ideal place for them to be, but maybe the cat would have other opinions if they could talk.

Have you ever seen your cats laying on a windowsill, looking longingly at the outdoors ? Or have you ever had a cat try to get out the door when it is open ? They just might be trying to tell you something.

I'm not saying a cat is better off going outside because I know there are hazards out there like cars, predators, and disease, but maybe Feral cats prefer being free because that is the life they have become accustomed to. On the farm where I grew up our cats were free to roam and they had a job to do, keep the rodent population under control...........same roll they have had throughout history. Only since we humans domesticated them have we turned them into our furry little roommates and not hunters.

I've tried, on several occasions, to let some of the feral cats I feed at my shop stay indoors on a cold night, and all of them went ballistic when the door was shut. They wanted out in the worst way. Even Mama, who lived in my office for 6 months, seems so much happier now that she is free again.

Just offering another point of view on the subject.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2013, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh area
9,918 posts, read 19,692,855 times
Reputation: 5072
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
How do we know it isn't true, has anyone asked the cat ?
As stated it was totally not true: "Cats are independent and are meant to be outside" "If you want an indoor pet, get a dog" Etc etc. Antagonistic troll post.

What you pose about feral cats is fine but please do not equate the two. You're talking about a cat born outside and not among human contact vs a cat born inside and always among human contact who has never been out.

Some realistic expectations may be important even with a stray former pet who has spent a lot of time outside. Some of them decide that being inside is fantastic and show little interest in going out. Others may not be happy without going out sometimes. But using that one aspect of cats to justify that they are all meant to be outside is irresponsible.

Given the interest in going in and interacting with the OP, there's a high likelihood that the cat in the OP's case is a stray former pet and not feral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Just offering another point of view on the subject.
I don't think I have a problem with your point of view generally. But here you're using it to defend an indefensible post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2013, 12:40 PM
 
Location: southern kansas
7,599 posts, read 5,108,665 times
Reputation: 16315
I partly agree with Don, that some cats who have never been exposed to humans and/or indoors may well be happier outside. But I don't think you can make that a blanket statement for all strays that you might encounter. It depends on the cat, his circumstances, his previous encounters (good or bad) with humans, etc., etc.. Some strays, even older ones, can be socialized enough to live with humans, but some will never accept human contact. I've seen it go both ways.
My problem with the earlier post was the "Cats are independent and meant to be outside" entry, which was just plain wrong IMO. It ticked me off and I responded perhaps inappropriately. I wish I hadn't as I hate to give trolls what they're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2013, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Big skies....woohoo
12,421 posts, read 2,790,368 times
Reputation: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Well, here is my opinion. lol I don't think an outside cat should be brought inside because it is wild. The cat is used to eating rodents and believe it or not that is a good thing! Leave it alone! Cats are independent and are meant to be outside. If you want an inside pet just get a dog.

The poor cat is probably traumatized and that is why it is acting out. Capiche?
Wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 11:15 AM
 
Location: FL
1,117 posts, read 1,608,248 times
Reputation: 1451
When I was in the military we had a saying about opinions, they're like parts of anatomy...however, we do need to respect them even if we disagree and I know we can do that without being disagreeable. Seems the post was intended to be like yelling 'fire' in a dark theater and the more attention we give it the more positive reinforcement the op gets resulting in more posts.

Some cats prefer to be outside, no doubt. Both Joe and Scooter would like to go out although they've been indoor cats most of their lives. Orion on the other hand only wants to go out if I'm with him. Depends on the individual cat, just like humans, I hate the snow although I grew up in the north and was acclimated to it. Some cats that were outside cats will happily become indoor only while others like my guys who never were outdoor kitties will yearn for the freedom (and danger) of the great outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top