U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 04:14 PM

5,082 posts, read 12,588,506 times

Advertisements

Orion2,

I didn't intend to get that wordy.

I have posted about my ferals many times on these forums, but this time was different. I got very emotional writing that post. It was like I was transported back in time and I could see, hear, and feel the moment.

I don't think it has anything to do with my writing style which is pretty much just loosely organized random thoughts and memories.

I have no idea why or how that happened, but I enjoyed the experience and the cats and me are glad you did also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 635 times
I have been feeding stray cats that have been around work way before I started working there. I started working there almost 6 months now and I feed them before I start work and when I leave work. They come running when they see me!! We just were warned from management NOT TO FEED THEM otherwise we would in trouble.! Are there any laws protecting them and myself? They keep the rats, and other animals away!! They already took away around 10 to 15 cats n kittens, one being blind!! Are there any laws protecting them and myself!! How can anyone do that!!

Old 02-09-2015, 12:47 PM

7,607 posts, read 5,111,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiek821 View Post
I have been feeding stray cats that have been around work way before I started working there. I started working there almost 6 months now and I feed them before I start work and when I leave work. They come running when they see me!! We just were warned from management NOT TO FEED THEM otherwise we would in trouble.! Are there any laws protecting them and myself? They keep the rats, and other animals away!! They already took away around 10 to 15 cats n kittens, one being blind!! Are there any laws protecting them and myself!! How can anyone do that!!
It depends on whatever animal control ordinances you have in your area. I can tell you that in my town, and also the city I worked in before retirement, if you feed any strays or feral colonies you are considered as 'taking responsibility or ownership' of them, and if there are more than legally allowed (4 in my town), you can be fined for 'harboring' them, and 'creating a nuisance'. But your bigger problem is with your employer. If the cats are on their property and they are telling you not feed them, then they are within their rights to do so and you are risking your job. Your feeding or 'harboring' the cats on your employers property could make them liable for any citations from animal control. Again, I'm only describing the way it is in my jurisdiction, and yours may be different. As far as I know, there are not any laws that specifically protect stray or feral cats. Sadly, in most places, the exact opposite is usually true.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:32 PM

29,609 posts, read 31,937,404 times
I know when I start feeding a stray it's a commitment. One was around as a neighborhood cat for 10 years. He slept in the yard and didn't like being in the house, although he would run in with my cats and immediately go to the door on the other side of the house to go out again..lol. He just stopped coming by last summer so he either died or moved with the people who's house he was at the most. I'll never know.

Another is with me now who didn't start out as a stray but was totally ignored by our neighbors who initially adopted him as a kitten. They put him outside and left him there when they didn't want to be bothered anymore. They took long trips and figured he'd find his own food and stuff. Eventually he did, at my house. Now he comes in at night to sleep, and spends his days outside doing whatever cats do under bushes. The neighbors moved and didn't ask about him. He friendly but not overly so, he rarely comes to sit by/on us but likes to be close, under an end table on a blanket we put down for him. It's been like this for a year now and I still haven't fully committed by taking him to the vet, but I know I will break down soon.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:37 PM

4,201 posts, read 12,127,716 times
jackiek821 -- see if your community has any other managed colonies which you can probably find out by getting in touch with a local shelter. If you can anonymously find out about animal control ordinances, I'd do that, too, as catdad7x suggests. I say "anonymously" since at this point you might not want to draw attention to yourself or your colony.

Perhaps it's just a matter of educating management, that a colony can exist on a property without adverse problems, and as you said, help keep the rodent population at bay. Maybe you'll even become a pioneer in a TNR program, especially if you can get a vet on board to do inexpensive spays/neuters. Depending on the business, it can be a public relations coupe when a company shows its heart (in this case showing a compassion for the animal kingdom of cats).

Management could either be heartless and just not want the cats around OR may have their backs against the wall because of laws and such (as catdad7x so well-described). Which do you think it might be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats