U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 04:22 PM

51,202 posts, read 50,499,962 times

Advertisements

I lived in a rented house for five years and never found Mattie's hiding place. She would be gone all day and I would worry that she'd gotten out. Once I realized that the upstairs hall closet had a space behind the wall on one side in the back, but she couldn't open the door plus I looked for her there the next time she disappeared and she wasn't there. It was an old house so maybe she found a similar spot somewhere else.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 06:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I lived in a rented house for five years and never found Mattie's hiding place. She would be gone all day and I would worry that she'd gotten out. Once I realized that the upstairs hall closet had a space behind the wall on one side in the back, but she couldn't open the door plus I looked for her there the next time she disappeared and she wasn't there. It was an old house so maybe she found a similar spot somewhere else.
I spread the story that the cat that vanished was supernatural. She was the cat of my daughters and was dense and weird. The grandchildren like the story that their mother and sisters had a supernatural cat.

Present one we ignore. Big Maine Coon. He can get out of anything. Opens doors. Works drawers. Completely vanishes. Hides in the shrubs (but comes in to pee). Will go out the back door and appear later at the front.

Never misses a meal though...

Old 12-19-2013, 07:59 PM

7,588 posts, read 5,102,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
We moved into this house this summer and it's nearly twice as big as our old place and therefore, very sparse in furnishings right now.

We have never owned a cat and have convinced ourselves that "we've checked everywhere". Stories I am reading tells of cats who seem to vanish into thin air and reappear at their own will! LOL!

I will just keep making sure she's got fresh food and water in her bowls. My son scooped the litter box after school yesterday so we'll have to see when we get home today if she's used it.

ahhhhhh.
Foolproof way to locate your cat;

1. Pick a starting point.

2. Make a complete circuit through the house, checking ALL known beds, hidey holes, etc..

3. Repeat and check ALL tiny enclosures that said cat could never fit into.

4. Continue calling cat by name while searching, and be sure to disguise the worry in your voice.

5. When you have exhausted all possibilities and have not found the missing cat, do not panic.

6. Return to the original starting point. Stop, turn around and look down.

7. Your cat will be sitting there looking up at you, wondering what it is exactly that you want.

All kidding aside, give her some time to adjust to her new surroundings. When she's more comfortable, she'll stop hiding.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:15 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,606,947 times
I 'lost' my cat who was, um, maybe 8 at the time in my home as well. We were renovating and a repairman came with all sorts of things hanging from his belt. The cat was NOT fearful by any means but the man ran down the stairs and must have spooked our cat. We thought the cat got out because we couldn't find him. At 2AM my husband and I were outside in the freezing cold calling the cat. There was ice all around and we were thinking our neighbors were going to call the police. We finally gave up and went to bed.

In the morning we discovered dusty paw prints on the sheets. Ghost cat? Hardly. We had removed the ceiling in the attic. The cat had gone next door. We lived in a duplex and our kitty was so terrified he climbed up into the open ceiling and went next door. Our neighbor was terrified too! She thought SHE had a ghost! LOLOL Kitty returned home after a couple of days, dusty and cautious but ok. We left his food out knowing he'd sneak out to eat and use the litter box when it was quiet. We didn't actually see him for a few days though.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:18 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,089,357 times
One of the things about cats in general and my cat in particular that continues to amaze me, is how they manage to hide, when there really is no place to hide, and when you have looked everywhere and still cannot find your cat. After a frantic search and a growing feeling of panic, there it is, either snoozing peacefully or just sitting there with a whats-all-the-fuss-about look.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:55 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,197,499 times
I thought Miss Daisy had gotten out of the house! All 4 of us were looking for her shaking canisters of her treats and calling her. We looked everywhere in the house:basement, main floor, attic.....every cabinet, closet, both fireplaces - but no Miss Daisy. Then outside.. two of us took to the street and two of us back to the woods..........no Miss Daisy.

It was getting dark, crying I walked into the rec room and sat down on the piano bench.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see a basketball slowly moving away from the corner of the room!

It was Miss Daisy!!!!!!!!

I don't know how she did it, but she curled herself so tightly, she was completely hidden by that basketball!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:53 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,771,355 times
I think the problem here is everyones assuming these cats "hide" they don't...
they instead have the ability to go invisible!

I cant tell you how many times ive frantically searched EVERYWHERE only to return to the couch and find one of the cats fast asleep because his cloaking devise ran out of power!

Old 12-21-2013, 07:44 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,606,947 times
Lovely stories! Except for the fact that we're all frantic thinking, oh-my-gosh! the cat is missing! these experiences are hilarious. I've stopped making myself an emotional pretzel unless I SEE the cat go out the door or have good reason to believe he (they're all male) got out. I also don't try to figure out all their hiding places because they are alchemists and magicians I'm sure and guard their secrets from mere mortals. I am content to serve their whims and sit in awe while they allow me to pet them and take my reward with their head butts and purrs.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:59 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
We had a new kitten once, who we found, behind the fridge, right next to the motor. How would a kitten fit there? Why?

jasper! He once hid in a hotel room, behind a desk, in a shadow, by the wall. He blended into the color of the wood, wall, and carpet. Invisible! He had no desire to finish the car trip!

Jasper hides all the time, in piles of clothes, the closet, under the bed...he is around, but without fail, if I open a can of salmon, he will magically appear.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:19 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
We had a new kitten once, who we found, behind the fridge, right next to the motor. How would a kitten fit there? Why?
Why is because it's warm and reminds it of its mother.

Bobbles had a fondness for our internet router when she was little. Now she likes the refrigerator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats