U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 09:23 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,089,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
I think the problem here is everyones assuming these cats "hide" they don't...
they instead have the ability to go invisible!

I cant tell you how many times ive frantically searched EVERYWHERE only to return to the couch and find one of the cats fast asleep because his cloaking devise ran out of power!
Thats it, I've got it! Remember the old Star Trek series, the original one? The Romulans and Klingons had cloaking devices. Our cats must therefore have formed an alliance with them and obtained the technology, or else are really altered members of those empires. Calling Captain Kirk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 07:11 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,606,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Thats it, I've got it! Remember the old Star Trek series, the original one? The Romulans and Klingons had cloaking devices. Our cats must therefore have formed an alliance with them and obtained the technology, or else are really altered members of those empires. Calling Captain Kirk!
LOL that must be it! Thanks for telling us!

Old 12-23-2013, 11:38 AM

295 posts, read 719,225 times
OMG CD totally failed me. I typed up a post and *poof*.

She was hiding in the one room I SWORE she couldn't get into!

She's back to gracing us with her presence and allowing us to pet her as she wishes!

I was told to NEVER say never regarding kitty hiding spots!

Old 12-23-2013, 11:39 AM

295 posts, read 719,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Foolproof way to locate your cat;

1. Pick a starting point.

2. Make a complete circuit through the house, checking ALL known beds, hidey holes, etc..

3. Repeat and check ALL tiny enclosures that said cat could never fit into.

4. Continue calling cat by name while searching, and be sure to disguise the worry in your voice.

5. When you have exhausted all possibilities and have not found the missing cat, do not panic.

6. Return to the original starting point. Stop, turn around and look down.

7. Your cat will be sitting there looking up at you, wondering what it is exactly that you want.

All kidding aside, give her some time to adjust to her new surroundings. When she's more comfortable, she'll stop hiding.
LOVE 6 and 7! Lol!!!!!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:24 PM

7,844 posts, read 10,147,526 times
We were in a hotel once in Portland, Maine and my little calico was with us (she went everywhere we went). Couldn't find her, well, geez, it's one room. Where did she go? The room had large windows from the ceiling to the floor, whole wall of them and she was behind the long, tall drapes, fitting in like part of the drape. Weird the places they go to be unseen. They do have a knack for it.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:27 PM

96 posts, read 269,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
I think the problem here is everyones assuming these cats "hide" they don't...
they instead have the ability to go invisible!

I cant tell you how many times ive frantically searched EVERYWHERE only to return to the couch and find one of the cats fast asleep because his cloaking devise ran out of power!
This! I couldn't find one of my cats and was searching all over the apartment. Looked in all the rooms, cabinets (she knows how to open the doors), under furniture. 20 minutes later and I'm freaking out thinking she must have slipped past me when bringing groceries in. I go sit down on the unmade bed and start crying. All of a sudden, there are gold eyes in the blanket. Sleeping black cat and black blanket = invisible kitty.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:40 PM

537 posts, read 941,609 times
When my boyfriend moved in, he brought both of his cats. I have never had cats before, so it was a new experience not seeing them for the first two days. We also have mostly raised furniture, so they're great at hiding underneath couches and beds. One cat loves our pantry.

For the longest time, both cats only liked the bedroom and if we opened the door, they immediately started hiding. One of them was so adorable and would run out for a moment, get too scared, and then run back in. After a couple weeks, they both come and go as they please. I think they're loving the extra space. One even acts like a dog and runs around fetching!

Old 12-23-2013, 02:44 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Have you looked behind the washing machine and water heater? How about the stove?

You'd be amazed where they can hide.

We had a cat once who would get into an open cabinet but she would not get out. She would sit in there patiently for hours waiting for someone to open the door.

Leo hides under the dresser. How a full grown cat can squeeze himself into an area that is three inches tall is beyond me.

Keep looking.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-23-2013, 02:59 PM

51,209 posts, read 50,499,962 times
I have a blind cat who, when we first took her and her sister in, disappeared for two days. We finally found her way in the back of a low shelf at the bottom of the basement stairs.

When I moved to a temporary apartment, she hid under the bed for a couple of days, and then when I moved to the next temporary place, she went into a closet for a couple of days. I found her after about half a day of searching, but she didn't want to come out.

Then I moved for the last time to my condo where I now live. When I brought the cats in, I watched her flatten herself and slide under the couch. I never would have thought she could do that if I didn't see it myself. The couch had been in our previous house the year before, and I'd had it in storage while I searched for my place. It must have seemed familiar to her, because this time, after only 45 minutes, she came out and started walking through getting the lay of the land (it's always kind of amazing to watch a blind cat find her way around "memorizing" her territory), and then she was home. It's like she knew we were finished moving and this was our permanent place.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:17 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,326,380 times
We still haven't found Callie's hiding spot. She simply vanishes for hours at a time. Then suddenly - there she is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats