U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 12:28 PM

295 posts, read 719,225 times

Advertisements

I have found a treat, now dubbed 'kitty crack', that gets her to sprint out when she hears the bag being opened.

YESSSSSSSSS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 12:40 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,349,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
It is amazing where they can find a spot to hide. I once lost a four month old kitten for over a day. I found her in the bottom of a chair. The bottom of the chair had a piece of cloth covering the springs, with about two inches between the cloth and the springs. There was a small tear on one side, maybe three inches wide. Sure enough, I look under the chair and saw a bulge hanging down. The kitten had gotten inside and apparently enjoyed it in there. Another time she managed to get up on to the duct work in the basement. I never did figure out how she got up there.
I adopted my cat as a kitten 14 years ago at 5-6 weeks old. After a couple of days, she hid in my bed's boxspring under the lining. I was tearing the house apart looking for her and had looked under the bed several times for her but did not notice the small bulge. I was sure that she had somehow gotten outside the house and I would never see her again and I was in tears. That little stinker!

Old 12-30-2013, 02:03 PM

20,596 posts, read 15,424,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When I read the part in bold, I envisioned the cat hiding ON you, like when my glasses are on top of my head and I walk around looking for them.
HA! Yah, bad writing...and to think I get paid to write for a living. Oh well.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:19 PM

3,070 posts, read 4,172,071 times
We had left a door open in the downstairs that had an open ceiling. Sure enough our young kitty had climbed up into the ceiling and ran all over inside the walls! She started meowing her heart out when she was lost. So we turned the light on in the open ceiling room and shook food. She finally came to the wall and let us get her down. Sheesh.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:49 AM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
Years ago at our old house we had 2 indoor cats. One day we came home from work and couldn't find one of them. We looked everywhere, for hours, and were stumped. Then we heard faint meowing but couldn't locate the source! It was loudest in the kitchen so I was standing there calling her name when I glanced out the window and saw the neighbors cat sitting on the fence and staring down at something on the side of my house. I went out there and found my cat, under the house, howling at the screened crawl space door. To this day I have no idea how in the world she got there. The only thing I could think of was that there must have been a small place somewhere in the garage that she squeezed into and it led to under the house (like a hole in the drywall or something). We had a kitty door to the garage because we kept the litter box there. But even though we checked it all out when we moved, and the garage was empty, we never did find what she did.

One of my current cats hid under a dresser that has a decorative scalloped bottom with a very narrow lip of wood on the inside (above the scalloped part but under the bottom drawer). You can look under the dresser but you won't see that spot unless you look under it from BEHIND...and it's against a wall. I found her once she got bigger and her tail started hanging down!!!

And once when we brought a new kitten home we put her down in the living room and she immediately crawled up into a wall heater, which was so low to the ground I didn't even know it had an opening in the bottom....CATS!!! Thank goodness I saw where she went!

Last edited by Ceece; 12-31-2013 at 12:59 AM..

Old 12-31-2013, 01:46 AM

6,495 posts, read 2,237,845 times
Look around on top of high places, like the refrigerator or closet shelves - cats like to look down on everyone (not in an insulting way, but physically looking down) as it makes them feel safe and in control. Also, check between your mattress and the headboard area, also spaces around bed trundles. Good luck!

Old 12-31-2013, 08:00 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,606,947 times
Orion is 13 lbs, and has a lot of white on him. We have a two bedroom place with few places to hide but he disappears on a regular basis. The other two who are dark, Joe is almost completely black and Scooter's a tabby never disappear. I have never discovered where Orion goes although I've looked. I tell people there's a rabbit hole somewhere and he goes down it after Alice =)

Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 AM

9,918 posts, read 19,683,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
I have found a treat, now dubbed 'kitty crack', that gets her to sprint out when she hears the bag being opened.
Temptations is the crack around here. So far it's been the only one that both cats will eat and really go crazy for. One cat is less picky and will eat freeze dried treats and chewy cat treats like Zukes or Buddy Biscuit. But so far it has only been the one who will eat those.

Still, both typically will come out of wherever if I shake a treat bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats