U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 08:08 AM

4,201 posts, read 12,133,430 times

Advertisements

adribach - I'm agreeing with everyone that a vet check is necessary when there's a sudden behavior change to rule in or out some sort of medical condition.

In the meantime, since it seems touching or the appearance that a touch is coming is what sets off your cat, your daughter may try this: not moving if he approaches her or just letting him sit on her lap if he jumps up. For whatever reason it sounds like he doesn't mind sharing the same space, but it's the "reach out" or forward motion toward him that he reacts to.

If it turns out not to be medical and is behavioral, there could be a variety of reasons of why he hisses and swats just your daughter. These reasons can be caused by something that occurred when your daughter just happened to be nearby and he associates her with the reason even though she did nothing!

If it is behavioral then the "treatment" is to help the cat associate good things with your daughter like treats or play. Initially I wouldn't recommend that she hand him a treat, but to place it on the floor near her and let him come get it. With play, use a feather/toy on a fishing pole so that the toy becomes an extension of her arm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 12:10 PM

5,048 posts, read 6,413,524 times
So he was with your bf's kids for about a year. Then you got him and have had him six years before he started hissing at kids a year ago.

I between there you say you kept him for a year before they (someone) moved out of state....

What I'm wondering is, did he stop being around kids after that first year.

And when did he start to see kids again?

Maybe he's just not used to them anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or