Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:37 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,539,236 times

Advertisements

Since I've budgeted for the cleaning on my 4 yr old cat (but unsure it is safe & even needed at this time, thus could skip it now... maybe) should I pay $18/month to sponsor an animal rather than do unneeded surgeries (any cleaning is surgical w/ cat under meds, etc.)?

Anyone help me decide. I know this is trivial, but to me I'd like to help out if I already counted on losing this $ on kitty health & well-being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 01:16 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,823,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Since I've budgeted for the cleaning on my 4 yr old cat (but unsure it is safe & even needed at this time, thus could skip it now... maybe) should I pay $18/month to sponsor an animal rather than do unneeded surgeries (any cleaning is surgical w/ cat under meds, etc.)?

Anyone help me decide. I know this is trivial, but to me I'd like to help out if I already counted on losing this $ on kitty health & well-being.
For one, I would highly suggest researching the ASPCA before donating. Personally, I would not donate to that organization.

But why do you say the procedure isn't needed? Wouldn't your vet be able to tell you if it was needed or not? A 4 year old cat can have painful gums, neck lesions, or other dental issues that need to be attended to. JJ did at that age (while both Robin and Heather had much better teeth- it's genetic to some degree).

If it were me and I did decide not to do the procedure, I would be hanging onto that money in case an emergency happened with the cat.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:07 AM

3,603 posts, read 9,016,997 times
If you are in the financial position where you need to choose between caring for your cat and a donation I would take the money and put it in an account for vet emergencies.

If you want to help out a shelter, maybe you can contact your local shelter and see what would be useful to them. Ours has a monthly need list that includes things like litter, blankets, food, trash bags, I keep an eye out for these things and pick them up as I see sales. You could donate to them and keep it local rather than spending $216 a year that doesn't go fully to an animal in need.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 AM

3,712 posts, read 10,986,643 times
for what it's worth - I agree with the others. ASPCA (and many local chapters) don't have the greatest track record, I won't donate to them either. I would keep the money and put it into your own cat's health. Dogmama had a nice idea too: if you have a local shelter whose practices you agree with, they can always use items. I've been donating towels and cat beds and food to my vet (who does a bit of fostering work).

Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post

Well, you already missed the end of year cutoff for a tax deduction in 2011 although that may well not matter in your case.

I would say if you've budgeted for the cat's health, you might want to keep it earmarked for that in case of some other medical issues. The teeth cleaning may well not be needed (seems to be genetic, mine hasn't needed her teeth cleaned in 15+ years), but something else could come up.

Or, split the difference. Make a smaller one-time donation for now. I would advise you like the others have said to research a good org to donate to. The large national orgs IMO are best mainly at promoting themselves. Directly to a local shelter would be the most efficient. Depending upon where you live there might be multiple choices, and you may wish to learn more about their programs, etc. before making such a decision to donate.

Don't get caught up in the names of local shelters, though. Just because a local shelter has SPCA or Humane Society or whatever in its name does not mean it is in any way affiliated with the national organizations of the same name. Many are not, and donating to those national entities does not necessarily help any local shelters.

It's great to help other animals in need, but I'd say first make sure you retain the means to care for your own cat. You can also donate time to a shelter, if you have time and a shelter near you with an active volunteer program.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,231,199 times
Re: Dental care. Routine checkup yesterday - all is well except recommendation for dental prophy under anesthesia. $350 bill expected. Ouch. My healthy 4-yr old cat is costing me more in wellness vet visits and revolution than my own healthcare. I guess I should be thankful for my own good health.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:29 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,508,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
If you are in the financial position where you need to choose between caring for your cat and a donation I would take the money and put it in an account for vet emergencies.
Having gone through 2 sets of lymphoma, one mystery illness, and another boy with CRF/HCM - I strongly recommend starting up a vet bills savings account.

I recommend sharing your time with some local organization, or volunteering to drive elderly or physically challenged pet owners to the vet.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,893,319 times
What problems have you people found out about the ASPCA? I've read and heard both bad but mostly good things about this org.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:53 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,348,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
for what it's worth - I agree with the others. ASPCA (and many local chapters) don't have the greatest track record,

WCH: Just to clarify. No such thing as chapters. The ASPCA is a single organization in New York City. There are many groups that use SPCA or Humane Society as part of their names but none of them are connected with the ASPCA or HSUS, every group is totally independent and money donated to those two big name groups does NOT benefit local groups.

Movin - I would suggest that you create an emergency fund for vet care and then when you feel you have a comfortable amount set aside find a good local rescue - maybe one that is all volunteer with no paid staff to donate some money to. And some time if you have it. Lots of things that can be done from home - make stuff for their annual craft sale, bake pet and people treats, help with website, facebook, help with emails etc.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:41 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
WCH: Just to clarify. No such thing as chapters. The ASPCA is a single organization in New York City. There are many groups that use SPCA or Humane Society as part of their names but none of them are connected with the ASPCA or HSUS, every group is totally independent and money donated to those two big name groups does NOT benefit local groups.
That is correct. The most efficient donations are typically directly to a local shelter. Donating to a big national org may or may not result in much useful happening locally or nationally, but donating to a local org nearly always has a useful local result. There are exceptions; the real key is to thoroughly check out what is happening before parting with your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats