U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 05:38 PM

305 posts, read 387,363 times

Advertisements

How do I know? You could never get eleven cats to pull a sled through snow, no matter how small the sled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 05:56 PM

15,533 posts, read 29,261,945 times
I have a cat, Norvell, who came to us as a stray. He is wicked smart insofar as survival is concerned. We have a towel that has a picture of a [realistic] rabbit embroidered on it.

Last night I was taking a shower and Norvie was staring at the towel doing the back and forth head thing and reaching out to grab the towel. I realized after a few minutes that he KNEW that was a rendering of a rabbit.

Of course, it wasn't moving so he lost interest pretty quickly, but I was quite impressed that he was able to see the rabbit in the towel.

Yes cats are very smart (well, some of them). My other cat, Nimmy couldn't find his way out of a paper bag.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-23-2013, 06:23 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,044,931 times
The jury is still out on Bobbles.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:18 PM

60 posts, read 93,568 times
I like to give my cat Alexis a challenge when it comes to giving her treats, so l get an empty egg carton and place them in it, she tries to get to the treat but her mouth doesn't reach, so she presses her paw real hard on it and then licks her paw to get the taste, I think that's pretty smart , of course after that she does manage to slide the it out and eat it, can't say if that's being smarter than a dog though

Old 12-23-2013, 08:28 PM

4,627 posts, read 7,210,684 times
Cats RULE, Dogs..........drool.

And I've had both.

Door is shut... dog would scratch and whine.

Cat would figure out a way to open the door.

Cats know better than to eat poop!

Old 12-23-2013, 08:31 PM

42,262 posts, read 49,821,133 times
My dogs never ate poop and can easily get though a door.

Cats are more...instinctual. I would bet on them to survive in the wild vs a domestic dog.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:20 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,609,678 times
LOL I was thinking yesterday that cat owners are funnier - I'm on both boards and find that posting here is well, more lighthearted. So my vote is for kitties, no logik necessary cause kats just know better, LOL (Sorry puppies but I think the kitties win - probably because they are sooooooooooo patient.)

Old 12-26-2013, 03:07 PM

9,824 posts, read 6,291,602 times
You just can't talk about relative smarts in different animals, because "smart" for an animal is the entire brilliance of its evolutionary design, which is specialized for precisely what it was needed to do.

Take two guys, one, say, a brilliant lawyer with a head full of cases and precedents...the other guy a computer technician who dreams in code...one cannot do the job of the other, and to imply that either is less than smart because of this would be absurd.

The cat is a pro at being a cat. A dog doesn't know how to be a cat. The dog is an expert at dog stuff. Even the eating of poo has a genius place in the evolution of the dog, if there are nutrients in it that the dog can use. They evolved as working helpers to people who were trying to survive, and they serve as such in amazing ways. I prefer cats, but would never imply a lack of intelligence in dogs. But a dog...is only as intelligent as you train them to be, because we did force their evolution (breeding) to be highly dependent upon us for commands and input. A cat's intellect may be in some ways relatively basic, but it's more natural. Here's smart design for you: the cat has developed the ability to make a crying meow which is similar in pitch to the sound of a human infant's cries. This encourages people to look after its needs with greater urgency. Ever wonder why more females are perhaps drawn to cats than males? Maybe this has something to do with it!

Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM

7,628 posts, read 5,118,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
You just can't talk about relative smarts in different animals, because "smart" for an animal is the entire brilliance of its evolutionary design, which is specialized for precisely what it was needed to do.

Take two guys, one, say, a brilliant lawyer with a head full of cases and precedents...the other guy a computer technician who dreams in code...one cannot do the job of the other, and to imply that either is less than smart because of this would be absurd.

The cat is a pro at being a cat. A dog doesn't know how to be a cat. The dog is an expert at dog stuff. Even the eating of poo has a genius place in the evolution of the dog, if there are nutrients in it that the dog can use. They evolved as working helpers to people who were trying to survive, and they serve as such in amazing ways. I prefer cats, but would never imply a lack of intelligence in dogs. But a dog...is only as intelligent as you train them to be, because we did force their evolution (breeding) to be highly dependent upon us for commands and input. A cat's intellect may be in some ways relatively basic, but it's more natural. Here's smart design for you: the cat has developed the ability to make a crying meow which is similar in pitch to the sound of a human infant's cries. This encourages people to look after its needs with greater urgency. Ever wonder why more females are perhaps drawn to cats than males? Maybe this has something to do with it!
Well said, and I agree with you.
Years ago I heard or read somewhere that cats only meow for humans benefit. Over the years of observing my cats here at home I noticed that that is indeed the case. The only exception would be very young kittens meowing for their mother's attention, which pretty much stops after they're weaned. Perhaps meowing for humans' attention is an extension of that kitten behavior.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:24 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,609,678 times
I think if dogs had opposable thumbs they'd be on the couch next to us posting on CD. Cats on the other had would be out running the world. I'm unsure if that's a matter of smarts, motivation but trying to compare them is like trying to compare dirt and water, mix 'em and ya get mud. Just like my metaphor, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or