U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,628,513 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have had several cats my whole life. I am currently 27 and live on my own. I think a cat would add good company and it can be dependent enough while I am at work (normal M-F 8:30-5:30 hrs). I left the nest 2 years ago and left behind a few family cats. I was holding back getting a cat of my own because I felt as if I was "replacing" the pets I left behind. Is this a normal feeling? Should I go ahead and adopt a cat or kitten?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 05:17 PM

9,871 posts, read 6,324,102 times
I think that any reason is a good reason, to give a homeless animal a home. As long as you're prepared to do whatever it takes to provide for them. When you had cats in your previous family home, were you the one to feed them and scoop their litter boxes? Are you prepared to do that every single day? Do you have enough stable income to make sure you're stocked on food and litter as well as the ability to get them to the vet if they become ill or injured? If you're realistically ready for these things, and also if you've looked into the terms of your lease on that apartment and you're allowed to have a cat and possibly prepared to pay a pet deposit if required...I say go for it!

The one mistake that young people often make when they get out on their own is to get a pet when they're not really ready to provide it with a proper forever home. The instabilities of youth can all too easily render an animal homeless as a result. That happened (more or less) with me, among the numerous other mistakes I made at age 18-20...and I didn't have another pet for over a decade after that, because I swore that I'd never, ever let another animal down that depended on me for care. It's a serious commitment. Your heart can be in the right place, but if your lifestyle or wallet isn't...you wind up with a broken heart for you and a destroyed life for the animal.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:48 PM

7,997 posts, read 6,764,064 times
I have had cats all my life including two sister/litter mates presently. All that said, they will be my last. Pets are lovely, but get to be pains in the butt.

If you insist, then I say adopt an older one whose alternative might be to be put to sleep.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:00 PM

5,294 posts, read 8,260,674 times
1) You bring the "pets you left behind" into your home. If you can't do that someone else considers them THEIR pets and they are in good hands.
2) You give a good cat a home and enjoy its company.

Timing2012 - Wow. Everything on this earth is dirty, cats are probably the least dirty animal around. Yes, there are germs and feces on cats but then again there are germs and feces on children, shopping carts, bathroom doors, money .....yada yada yada.....

My cat adoption story is funny. I was driving home from work one day going 70 in a 55mph zone. A state trooper pulled me over and wrote out a ticket. I kept hearing little "meows" while I waited. As he pulled off I got out to investigate. Two little grey tabby cats were in the field where I pulled over (it was the middle of nowhere). I was able to get one of them but the other was playing games. The trooper drove by again and stopped. He helped me catch the other kitten. I brought them home and the six dogs I had at the time loved them. They have been great friend ever since. I named the "Chairman Meow" and "Flea Taxi"......

Old 12-26-2013, 07:06 PM

15,773 posts, read 9,744,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Troll alert.
No, more like IDIOT alert. I'd tear into him/her but they are not worth my effort.

As for the subject at hand.......I agree with the comments about being ready in your life to make a serious commitment like this. Life when you are 27 is not like life when you are 37, or 47. Younger people are more on the move and less stable in their affairs. Not saying ALL 27 year olds are like that, but I think the majority are.

You haven't established "roots" yet, and that is what a pet needs. That kitty will be depending on you for the next maybe 15 years or so to provide a solid home for it, with love, food, health care, and companionship. You will probably have it until you are in your 40's, so that is one serious undertaking.

As for the troll/ idiot comments about a cat not fitting into an apartment, we live in a two bedroom apartment with 3 furry roommates, and our home is spotless. It does take work and a lot of understanding when kitty makes a mistake or has some issue like a fur ball. But that is simply part of sharing your life with a pet.

My reasons for being so negative about a young, unattached person adopting cat is that quite often someone just like them moves out of our complex and decides kitty no longer is convenient to have, so kitty ends up a stray, kicked out into the outdoors to fend for themselves. That is how Daisy came to live with us 7 months ago, we found her sitting next to our car in the parking lot, all alone and afraid.

But there are lots of young people who do have pets who are responsible, loving parents to their pets, you just have to ask yourself if you are that person. I hope you are and that you save some poor little guy from the shelter and give them the kind of home they deserve.

Don

Old 12-26-2013, 07:29 PM

4,984 posts, read 5,483,505 times
I second the comment about older animals.

Kittens need a lot of interaction and socializing. They can really tear up an apartment while you are gone. An older cat (3 years and older) will do a lot more snoozing and looking out the window (if you provide a nice indoor cat tree) and be more of a companion if you take your time and look for one who enjoys snuggling on the couch.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:04 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,178,767 times
Definitely an older cat. When I divorced my first husband, he asked me to go to the shelter with him to help him pick out a cat. (He was missing my cat I took with me.) He picked out an adult orange tabby, and they were amazingly close. He was younger than 27 and never had cat experience until he lived with me and my cat. You have experience. Just make sure you can commit to a cat for its life, and that you can ensure that you can find housing that allows cats. Having a pet should be a lifetime commitment. They depend on you. If you're able to commit, I see no reason to not get a cat.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:25 PM

15,773 posts, read 9,744,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
Don Don Don....you're probably a sub-three digit IQer who doesn't have any advanced degrees or significant life achievements.
At least I am not stupid, like some people, who come onto a cat lovers forum and spew garbage contrary to the purpose of that forum. I have reviewed some of your posts on other subjects, and have concluded you are one of those 12 year old trolls who simply comes onto a thread to stir trouble. Probably to compensate for some of your "shortcomings", if you get my drift.

Don

Old 12-27-2013, 02:08 AM

832 posts, read 1,317,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hi,
I have had several cats my whole life. I am currently 27 and live on my own. I think a cat would add good company and it can be dependent enough while I am at work (normal M-F 8:30-5:30 hrs). I left the nest 2 years ago and left behind a few family cats. I was holding back getting a cat of my own because I felt as if I was "replacing" the pets I left behind. Is this a normal feeling? Should I go ahead and adopt a cat or kitten?
Yes, you should adopt a cat or kitten. Make sure you take your time picking one who is calm. It's usually better to wait until they are adults. I think a kitten needs playmates and will get bored easily. I just adopted a new cat last week; I really lucked out because she sleeps almost all day but she is also very affectionate. I don't think getting a new cat is like "replacing" your other cats. They are all different, just like people. Growing up with cats you would be a good cat owner because you won't be surprised by the yucky stuff that comes with cat ownership, like hairballs on the carpet when you get home or a stinky litter box. That's another thing too: make sure you have enough money in your budget for cat food and litter on a regular basis (of course along with vet bills, boarding, toys, etc.).

Old 12-27-2013, 09:57 AM

9,871 posts, read 6,324,102 times
Just to be clear, I'm certainly not talkin' smack about younger people as pet owners as any kind of a rule. Merely the fact that you came here and posted means that you're mulling it over, if you were the really flightly kind of very young person you wouldn't have bothered, you'd have just rushed out to pick up a cat because the whim struck ya. My comments were just to point out all the stuff I could think of that you want to maybe checklist, to make sure you're ready. And honestly (it slipped my attention your specific age, I just grabbed onto the gist that you were a 20-something in your first apartment)...27 really isn't THAT young. I mean, your brain's done cooking moreso than a 19 to 21 year old. Your judgment of your own situation is probably more sound.

Probably the biggest caution I want to underline, out of everything I said, is to make sure you're cool with the policies of your landlord. Do NOT get a pet if you're not supposed to have one. That is asking for trouble. If you're not allowed a pet, then wait until your lease is up and then move someplace where you can.

Also, while I do think that an older kitty is a nice choice for all the reasons stated above, a kitten might work out too, as long as they were at least 5-6 months old...by that point, although they might prefer the company and you'd definitely need to provide lots of toys, it's not the end of the world if your cat is home alone while you work. At least my cat was fine, with all of the family out for the day, during the week. He was 5 months old when we got him. He's kind of a timid cat sometimes, so I think it may have even helped him become settled, to have the house quiet to himself for stretches of time at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or