U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 12:39 PM

537 posts, read 945,182 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

Since moving in, my boyfriend and his cats have been doing great! The first couple days were spent in hiding but since then, they enjoy the extra space.

Here's the problem: before moving in and until Friday night, both cats were indifferent toward each other. The female, Niko, is very dominant and prefers to be left alone. The male, Dippy, is very friendly (a bit skittish) but loves to play with Niko even though she warns him frequently. She is a lot smaller than Dippy, and Dippy tends to play a little too rough, so she just finds another spot to hang out.

For a while, I was surprised at how well they were playing together. My boyfriend always mentioned that Niko didn't like playing with any of the cats. For a while, they were running around, sitting with each other on the couch, and being cordial with one another. Starting Friday night (around 1:00 AM), I heard a loud scream (it sounded almost human), and they were both chasing each other and fighting.

On Saturday, no matter what, the moment they looked at each other, they started growling and hissing. We looked online and received a lot of different feedback, and I'm not sure what to do.

Currently, both of them are not in contact with one another. We keep one in he bedroom and the other in the living room. They both have access to food, water, and the litter box. I'm just sad, because I can hear one crying if they're not with one of us.

Their attitudes toward me and BF have been the same. They're still cuddly and sweet and for the past day, they'll see each other when we have to exchange them and act indifferently.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Is there any way to get them to be in the same room with each other? I'm not sure if they're feeling jealous regarding how affectionate we are to both of them or if they are now experiencing territory issues.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 10:51 AM

2,068 posts, read 1,780,822 times
I'm surprised no one has responded to you!

These are early days, and the cats will need more time to adjust to each other, not to mention a new person in the house. Give them time to acclimate. Also, you might consider using a Feliway diffuser (it emits a happy pheromone) or adding Rescue Remedy to their water.

Try feeding them at opposite ends of the room, or on either side of a door. Play with them together with interactive toys like wands. Take it slowly. And whatever you do, don't leave them together unsupervised until they are fully used to one another!

Old 01-02-2014, 12:02 PM

5,082 posts, read 12,604,692 times
Some times a couple of mine will get into a spat over some kind of cat issue.
I use Feliway in the pump container and spray it where they rub their faces, like on the door jams.
This usually calms things down.
I tried the Feliway in the plug in diffuser, but It didn't seem as effective as spaying it directly on the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats