U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:00 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You like keeping an animal prisoner in your home? Where's the "love" in that?

I find it funny that pet owners supposedly unconditionally love their pets so much. Truth is people just like to control animals and use them for their own entertainment and emotional needs.

I side with your BF. Animals are just that...animals. Let the animal outside in nature. Animals were created by nature/God/whatever you believe with natural instincts. They can feed and defend themselves.
The real issue is the BF deliberately ignoring the OWNER of the cat,

This is an indoor cat, who has been indoors it's whole life, and does not know the dangers of cars, other animals, and could get easily hurt, frightened, or lost.

The BF is the problem here. This is not a discussion about indoor vs, outdoor cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,632,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
eh, cats like to be outside even if they are not used to.
I don't see a problem as long as someone is out with the cat in the fenced yard.
We have an indoor/outdoor girl and one indoor only girl.
The indoor only girl, that is her choice to stay inside, she has no desire to go outside. We could leave the door open all day and she would not venture out.
Our indoor/outdoor girl goes out when she wants and comes back in when she wants however, I do make sure she is inside before dark and before we leave to go out and about.
and I like to eat cheesecake every day but it is not good for me so I don't do it.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:12 PM

942 posts, read 1,176,638 times
It's pretty simply really - this is your cat and your BF should respect your wishes. You may want to take this as a sign of things to come. Keeping our fur babies indoors keeps them healthier, safer and much more likely to have a long and happy life.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:16 PM

9,744 posts, read 6,273,073 times
I'm agreeing with the majority here. I've got plenty of vitriolic responses I could spew in the general direction of a certain respondant, but I'll keep a lid on that.

Mainly I think the problem is that this guy came into your life and home and was like, "Oh, this animal you've cared for most of it's life? I make the rules about that now. You have no say in it." The disrespect and disregard for your wishes. Granted. Relationships never, ever work without compromises. Even the best ones. So if you want to keep this fella around, you get him to compromise. Get a harness and leash and make him agree to use it every single time, and/or have him build an enclosure. But stand up for yourself. You are absolutely within your rights to do so. And you need to get in the habit of standing up for yourself in relationships when something is important to you, because people who don't wind up being doormats for various abusers in the world. (Not saying he necessarily is one. Just don't set yourself up for a bad pattern.)

Old 12-31-2013, 02:16 PM

942 posts, read 1,176,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You like keeping an animal prisoner in your home? Where's the "love" in that?

I find it funny that pet owners supposedly unconditionally love their pets so much. Truth is people just like to control animals and use them for their own entertainment and emotional needs.

I side with your BF. Animals are just that...animals. Let the animal outside in nature. Animals were created by nature/God/whatever you believe with natural instincts. They can feed and defend themselves.
I don't know where you live sweetie but here in Highland Park (near downtown LA) coyotes roam and our cats don't stand a chance with them. It doesn't appear to me you know much about keeping pets so have no idea why you would post in a pet lovers forum. Please troll elsewhere.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:36 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,364,149 times
Has anyone else noticed that the OP seems now to be missing from this thread?

Old 12-31-2013, 06:56 PM

5,876 posts, read 11,750,970 times
Yes, I noticed. I belong to a very busy cat forum where there are not infrequently posts about boyfriends abusing/mistreating or other wise going against the wishes regarding the OPs cat (sometimes it's a girlfriend) and they want to know what to do. The reactions in that forum are similar to what we have here in this thread. Sadly, we almost never hear the end of the story.

Last edited by catsmom21; 12-31-2013 at 08:08 PM..

Old 12-31-2013, 06:57 PM

6,495 posts, read 2,239,005 times
You are not overreacting to the dangers that a cat faces being outdoors. Cats can get lost, run over by a car, get hurt by larger animals or get involved in cat fights, which can result in very serious injuries. Being outdoors, also exposes your cat to disease, of which one is very common among outdoor cats: Felv (cat Leukemia). Now, that your cat has had a taste of the outdoors and finds that he loves it, you may have difficulties keeping him in - you can't erase his feelings/memories being outside. I'm not a cat trainer, but maybe you can find a way to make the outdoors less appealing to him - some kind of psychological move, maybe put some kind of flooring/mesh that cats hate outside the first few feet of your door.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 PM

15,589 posts, read 9,657,290 times
It always bothers me when anyone who starts a thread never comes back on to acknowledge that people have spent their time to try to provide some answers or help. I think it is very rude of them. If you don't like some of the answers you are getting, don't post in the first place.

I see that so often where a person starts a thread then is never seen again.

Don

Old 12-31-2013, 07:52 PM

5,876 posts, read 11,750,970 times
My concern with these particular types of questions is why the OP didn't come back. Cynic that I am (based on personal experience) I worry that the controlling boyfriend has something to do with the OPs failure to return.

Other reasons may be...they forgot which forum they posted in, they got sick, they went away, they regretted starting the sensitive topic (because of repercussions when/if the boyfriend found out)....

I agree it's annoying and sometimes worrisome when they don't come back, but I don't agree that they should not have posted in the first place. For one thing, who knows how many other people will be helped by this thread, or any thread on any given topic. People who will never post at all, but experiencing something similar may see this thread and receive the help they need from it.

I don't begrudge the time spent offering help in these forums, even if I never hear the outcome, though of course I would prefer to know what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or