U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 03:14 PM

5,876 posts, read 11,764,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You are confusing Foster Children with domesticated house cats. We have had cats for the past 45 or so years and none of them have been outdoor cats. They all had access to a screened porch or lanai and all of them had GREAT lives. They were well fed, medically cared for, had every luxury we could give them, lots and lots of love and attention, and a SAFE environment.

By contrast, I feed some feral cats every night at my shop and those poor animals have a horrible life. They seem to last about a year or maybe 3 if they are lucky, and they will never know the secure environment we cat lovers provide for our much loved tabbys. My heart aches for them. We have one right now, Mama Cat, who comes every night, and when we leave the shop she looks very confused and sad because she has to leave the blanket we put on the floor for her and she has to go back to the "freedom" you describe. If the hawks don't get them cars do, or sometimes even mean people who think it is cool to shoot them to get rid of them.

I think you are also confusing house cats with captive animals that live in a zoo. Ours are nowhere near that in any way.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 03:30 PM

20,668 posts, read 15,452,059 times
Those who say it's cruel to keep cats indoors...I have six, used to have seven. Only one WANTS to go outside. One. The rest of them run away from the door when I open it. The one that wants to go outside, she will get to every so often, on her harness.

She's white. She's cute. Everyone who sees her, loves her. There is no way I will take the chance that someone would steal her. Plus, she doesn't blend in well with the territory...so how would she be able to hide from predators or other wild animals? It's not abusive, or neglectful, or cruel to keep cats indoors. They are spoiled rotten. I am renting a much larger place than I need...for them! I got a place with two bedrooms, and upstairs and downstairs not because I need that room. I don't. I didn't have any furniture when I moved. All I use is my bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen. The rest of this house? It's for the pets.

They do not live a cruel life.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:45 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,371,776 times
There are too many variables in this one.

For instance, if he's "letting" the cat out, or putting it out?

I've had cats with outdoor access all my life and if kitty is begging to go out there I would find it very difficult not to let her go.

My own girl hangs inside with me 22/24 but those other two hours are her playtime. She's never come to harm even though we've lived at several addreses.

So....does kitty beg to go out?

And how much trouble will an elderly cat get in?

PS I am assuming you don't live in a mountain shack, just ordinary burbs.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:59 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,044,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
PS I am assuming you don't live in a mountain shack, just ordinary burbs.
A mountain shack would be safer than ordinary burbs.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:20 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,506,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
A mountain shack would be safer than ordinary burbs.
Quite possibly true. Our cats go out into the screened-in porch when it's not too cold. When we were in Tucson, they had free access to our patio, which was very secure (house on 3 sides, 20-foot wall on fourth side). With kids and dogs and coyotes and traffic and and and ... I would never let our cats roam freely. They've been protected since they were rescued at 4-5 weeks old.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:01 PM

442 posts, read 464,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I have outdoor cats but I think it's incredibly naive to think that a cat that's lived 10 years inside would be OK as an outdoor cat. Am I reading you right that you think it's OK to leave a cat out at night and just cross your fingers? Are you really equating having an indoor cat to abuse? Do you know what the word abuse means?

OP, I'm a guy but I agree with everyone else who says dump the boyfriend. It's your place and your rules. If he can't respect that it will just get worse over time.
I have a 22 year old son we let out to. Even when he was little he played in the yard. And we crossed our fingers! yes, it's life...

As for a cat, we've had two that were abused before we got them. Both were indoors 95% of the time, and both had crazy cat owners that "thought" they were protecting them. All lived an aged life. But as we wouldn't treat our children that way, we don't treat our animals that way either Yes there is a difference between humans and animals so you can only go so far...we couldn't afford to pay for one cat who got cancer but he was like 20 years old by then. An orange cat.

The only time we kept a cat indoors was for aweek until someone killed a racoon. Huge racoon that was going after cats & dogs. He would scratch them then it would get infected. So we chose to keep our cat inside except while we watched him outside. Even put up some netting over our fence because we were too afraid of the Racoon, not that it was needed but it never hurts. Otherwise I was raised here and most cats do just fine. Even those abused by others who weren't used to the outdoors. It's a shock even to their little eyes at first..so sad people do that to animals but the world isn't going to get better soon. We've also been a part of a fostering organization for animals in our town where we've had various cats, generally one at a time....if they get along with our cat(s).

Old 01-01-2014, 07:14 PM

442 posts, read 464,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You are confusing Foster Children with domesticated house cats. We have had cats for the past 45 or so years and none of them have been outdoor cats. They all had access to a screened porch or lanai and all of them had GREAT lives. They were well fed, medically cared for, had every luxury we could give them, lots and lots of love and attention, and a SAFE environment.

By contrast, I feed some feral cats every night at my shop and those poor animals have a horrible life. They seem to last about a year or maybe 3 if they are lucky, and they will never know the secure environment we cat lovers provide for our much loved tabbys. My heart aches for them. We have one right now, Mama Cat, who comes every night, and when we leave the shop she looks very confused and sad because she has to leave the blanket we put on the floor for her and she has to go back to the "freedom" you describe. If the hawks don't get them cars do, or sometimes even mean people who think it is cool to shoot them to get rid of them.

I think you are also confusing house cats with captive animals that live in a zoo. Ours are nowhere near that in any way.

Don
I am so glad to hear you feed the feral cats at night. Good for you! I wish there were more people like you. We love animals therefore don't believe in Zoos which are basically jails. As are homes, which is fine temporarily but obviously not for a wild animal in which all animals are. Even domesticated ones. Hence why we do not domesticate all animals, to do so would be dangerous

Believe it or not, these "feral" cats can be domesticated enough to be petted. Even the Animal Control guy didn't believe us but it takes time to earn their trust.

My husband worked nights cleaning parking lots with a big truck and he'd see the cats behind the department stores. He would feed them as did others. On breaks he even got one close enough to catch and brought it home. It took about 5 months but once the cat saw our cat being petted, my husband could tell she yearned for that also.

All cats are outdoor cats, all people are outdoor people too. But sometimes people become sick in the brain to the point their needs overwhelm the needs of the cat, so they attribute it to "protection" as an excuse. I am sure it's not always deliberate, we've gotten some chickens from a lady like that. She even started a humane organization and it shocked us to see these poor chickens in cages. There are laws agaisnt that now here in California. They MUST have a certain amount of space to run.

No living being should be denied the right to be outside. Animal or human. It's necessary for their eyesight, and to develop the vitamins needed for such. This is taught in Foster Parent classes and it is also reiterated concerning dogs and cats. Meaning if you abuse them, you can even loose your own Foster Children. Abuse is not tolerated.They don't say that but obviously have the power to do such.

As we know, there is no such thing as an indoor person or an indoor cat. So I won't entertain that, it's abuse.

Animals were meant to be outside, we all know this.

And it's difficult but to not abuse your boyfriend, husband or whatever means to talk things out. Not just kick someone to the curb as if they are a side of spoiled beef. You live with them, probably even have sex with them, and suddenly they mean nothing. This is a very sad thread but it shows a mentality that is prevelant in society. Me me me

We are here just a short time, let's be kind to animals and people Stop Abuse.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:55 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,563,268 times
Well, I have a relative who has indoor/outdoor cats, and 3 or 4 have either disappeared or been hit by cars in the last 15 years or so. It's not selfish to try to avoid that.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:07 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,044,931 times
In my childhood, our first cat was an indoor/outdoor. He was hit by a car. All of our cats were indoor only after that. That's why I think the suburbs are more dangerous than a shack in the mountains. I wouldn't be worried about Bobbles being outdoors in Vermont where roads are few and vehicles are fewer, but I'd definitely fear her life if she was outdoors in our suburbs where there are lots of streets and traffic nearby.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:13 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,799,230 times
im not pro or con the indoor outdoor debate, ive had strictly indoor cats, and its MUCH safer (I cant tell you how many cat road kill I see, wild animals, and fights with other cats...)
I currently have 2 indoor outdoor cats, but I live in the country on acreage and they HAVE to earn their meals by keeping the mice and rats (and squirrels) out of the livestock feed...EVERYONE has a job on this farm, even the little dogs!

ive met cats who were NEVER happy as indoor cats, and ive known cats who hate outdoors too (my parents ragdoll mix wotn even attempt to go outdoors...outdoors is yucky and always has been....)

BUT...it has NOTHING to do with the problem at hand.

1: this is an ELDERLY cat that the op has made clear has never been outdoors...cats don't do well with change and at that age this cat has NO road smarts...and you think a 20ft wall will stop em?! my tiny tortie can frequently be found sitting on my house roof! ive seen her scale brick like it was a cargo net and she can clear a 6ft fence in a single jump...
to ASSUME a cat with no outside experience will be safe outdoors is like saying we should allow dementia patients to walk around unsupervised next to the highway...

2: it doesn't matter what any of use belive about cats in or out or safety or anything else for that matter...
the op told her boyfriend the cat was NOT to go outdoors, the boyfriend disrespected that, multiple times and then decided to push responsibility off and treat her wishes like they didn't mtter....
thi has everything to do with a relationship issue and little to do with the cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or