U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 10:19 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,721,167 times

Advertisements

My indoor cats have plenty of space to run and play and they get lots of natural sunlight cause they find sunny places to nap and we have cat trees set up by windows. In addition we have a nice screened in porch for them in good weather.

Anybody who equates indoor children with indoor cats simply is not capable of understand the whole indoor/outdoor conversation. that is very sad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 10:42 PM

442 posts, read 464,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My indoor cats have plenty of space to run and play and they get lots of natural sunlight cause they find sunny places to nap and we have cat trees set up by windows. In addition we have a nice screened in porch for them in good weather.

Anybody who equates indoor children with indoor cats simply is not capable of understand the whole indoor/outdoor conversation. that is very sad.
Please address my post with your spiteful put downs that I am "not capable"

No where were children and cats equated except to honor them as living beings.

And we've had plenty of older cats who did just fine outside, even WHEN they've been abused aka forced to remain inside for years.

They had a chance to smell the fresh air, roam as cats do to follow their natural borne instincts. Even if that is only for 5 minutes, it's better than a life-time of abuse.Install a cat door, let them come and go as they choose. It's their right. No guarantee they are going to die, but sometimes it happens. That's no excuse to abuse

To abuse a cat as if that is somehow better than it's death is of a sick mind.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:50 PM

[quote=Three Wolves In Snow;32829863]Those who say it's cruel to keep cats indoors...I have six, used to have seven. Only one WANTS to go outside. One. [quote]
Jaycee Lee Dugard didn't go outside either, even when she had the chance. Her brain was very sick, she didn't realize she had that chance from being locked up for so long. This means nothing. A cat will eventually roam outside on it's own time. I've never had one that didn't, unless they've been abused so badly they have some type of unnatural hinderance to what comes natural to Cats. To what is natural.

There may be some pretty heavy abuse in their history. It could have caused permanent brain damage. Because no cat is naturally afraid of the outdoors.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:01 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,821,589 times
*blink blink* WOW....
realy?! to equate a indoor with abuse and brain damage is INSANITY...
and I know insane well...
how do you explain a 6 week old kitten raised in a barn, being brought into a house as a pet and CHOOSING not to go outdoors despite acess to a cat flap and a regularly open door from the age of 6 weeks (and prior to that being born and raised by a purely outdoor cat in a 3 sided barn

yup obviously brain damaged from being FORCED to be inside...for the whole week it had to stay indoors while it got its shots and big enough to be and recover from the spay surgery at 8 weeks old

As a side note as someone very very familiar with both mental disorders AND brain damage the 2 are completely different and even the strongest mental abuse doesn't cause "brain damage" brain damage is caused by physical trauma not mental...

its also natural for dogs and cats to breed at every available heat cycle...do you allow that too?, I mean I'd hate to think youd be causing "brain damage" by restricting THAT natural instinct too...

Old 01-01-2014, 11:21 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,122,058 times
Someone is taking this topic too seriously.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiawomann5 View Post
Jaycee Lee Dugard didn't go outside either, even when she had the chance. Her brain was very sick, she didn't realize she had that chance from being locked up for so long. This means nothing. A cat will eventually roam outside on it's own time. I've never had one that didn't, unless they've been abused so badly they have some type of unnatural hinderance to what comes natural to Cats. To what is natural.

There may be some pretty heavy abuse in their history. It could have caused permanent brain damage. Because no cat is naturally afraid of the outdoors.
You're a bit confused. Jaycee actually lived outside in the backyard. She didn't leave because she feared for her life, not because her brain was damaged from lack of sunlight. But this has nothing to do with cats.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

its also natural for dogs and cats to breed at every available heat cycle...do you allow that too?, I mean I'd hate to think youd be causing "brain damage" by restricting THAT natural instinct too...

Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're a bit confused. Jaycee actually lived outside in the backyard. She didn't leave because she feared for her life, not because her brain was damaged from lack of sunlight. But this has nothing to do with cats.
She lacked vitamin D due to the lack of sunlight of her confinement.
Her kids were worse as she got to go outside at least, -AND- in the house part of the time. She helped run his business many years after her kidnapping.

The lack of Vitamin D affected her children much more though
they all suffered from complications due to that. Whether in a house, or in a tent, that's just symantics.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:33 AM

Quote:
She lacked vitamin D due to the lack of sunlight of her confinement.
Her kids were worse as she got to go outside at least, -AND- in the house part of the time. She helped run his business many years after her kidnapping.

The lack of Vitamin D affected her children much more though they all suffered from complications due to that. Whether in a house, or in a tent, that's just symantics.
Heck, I'm outside all of the time, and I'm Vitamin D deficient. Milk is fortified with Vitamin D because most people can't get enough from the sun. It's one of the most common deficiencies. Many people have it simply because they don't drink milk due to not liking it. Cheese doesn't have vitamin D in it, btw. I'm certain their vitamin D deficiencies were due to a poor diet more than anything else. You can't blame it all on limited exposure to the sun.

Regardless, cats don't get their vitamin D from the sun. Their bodies don't absorb vitamin D like humans that way. Their vitamin D comes only from their diet, and cat food is fortified with it.

Quote:
Vitamin D and Your Feline Friend

Your cat, on the other hand, does not process vitamin D in the same manner. Because of her beautiful coat of fur, her skin and body are not designed to synthesize vitamin D. A 1999 study published in “The American Society for Nutritional Sciences” looked at vitamin D and sunlight exposure in kittens. During the study, the kittens ate a vitamin D-free diet and exposed to either direct sunlight, ultraviolet lamps or kept indoors. All three sets showed similar declines in vitamin D levels. The kittens in the sun and ultraviolet lamp groups then had a section of their fur removed to see if the coat reduced vitamin D synthesis. There was no change, showing that cats simply do not synthesize vitamin D in the same way. Their vitamin D comes from their diet.

http://pets.thenest.com/cats-absorbi...sun-10489.html
So, you're going to have to come up with another overly passionate argument for why people shouldn't keep their cats inside.

Last edited by Hopes; 01-02-2014 at 02:43 AM..

Old 01-02-2014, 03:27 AM

20,731 posts, read 15,483,817 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Those who say it's cruel to keep cats indoors...I have six, used to have seven. Only one WANTS to go outside. One.

BS. I've had them since the fricken minute they were born. You best pull back on that statement.

The one who does like to go outside is the one who was abused. I won't tell the whole story, and it wasn't like she was being thrown around or beaten, but she was definitely abused. Yet, she likes to go outside. In other words, you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Tell PETA that they are wrong and need to change the verbiage in their little hate pamphlets.

You are just like the OPs BF. You disrespect the wishes of the people here, and tell them how wrong they are. The fact is, this was never a debate about is it cruel to let cats outdoors or not, it was about a BF not respecting the wishes of the cat owner. Saying pretty much the same words as you, that the cat liked it.

You miss the point, you disrespect the OP, and anyone else on here who chooses to keep indoor cats, because you think that you are the authority on cats. Wrong. You are not. Why don't you contact the ASPCA on all of us since you think it's so abusive. Please record the phone call and post it here so that we can all enjoy a good laugh. Well, except you.

Ugh, why am I having to fix your coding errors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or