Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:05 AM

297 posts, read 841,621 times

Advertisements

We adopted a 6 year old cat on 12/9. By day 2, she came up to the main floor (from the family room) and explore a bit.

On day 3 my (teen) kids couldn't find her. They searched every room. My husband went home and searched. I went home, opened all the closet and bathroom doors, etc and within 3 minutes, she was sitting at the top of the stairs, looking ever so innocent She was hiding in a box in my husband's closet

By day 5, she was exploring the main bathroom and hang out in my son's bedroom.

This past Sunday and Tuesday, she slept in our bedroom.

Yesterday morning I saw her, when I got home and throughout the whole night, no one saw her. She wasn't in her usual hiding space and we tried looking for her.

I am now wondering if she found a new and better hiding space since we knew and would bring her out of the other one (we didn't know any better!! but I've been reading that they like their little secret spaces).

Today, I had my husband leave a little wet food out for her to hopefully coax her out. Anything else to do? I'm getting worried
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 10:48 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
Is she using her litterbox?- Is she eating? If she doesn't come out during the day, cats will usually come at night. She has probably just found someplace better to hide.

Let her hide and adjust for your home at her own pace. A new home and five new people, especially active teenagers, is a lot for a car to adjust to. Hiding is normal.

Just leave some wet food out for her so you an monitor that she is eating. Scoop her litterbox very frequently so you can tell that she is using it daily.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:32 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,921,461 times
ITA with willow wind--give her more time, at her own pace, to adjust.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:46 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
We had a cat hide in the boxsprings of a hotel mattress once. It was bizarre. My husband had to take the mattress off and nudge her out.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:56 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
They show up when they get hungry or thirsty.

Had one vanish when we set off the smoke alarm with the shower in a home we had just moved into. Searched house, neighborhood, notices etc. Middle of the third night she was there. Got us out of bed to feed her.

This was a completely unfurnished house where we were initially camping in the living room and master BR...so there were no places to hide. We figure she must have managed to get up onto a high pot shelf which required a leap of around 6 feet vertically. Either that or supernatural. She was a weird cat so that could be true.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:41 PM

We moved into this house this summer and it's nearly twice as big as our old place and therefore, very sparse in furnishings right now.

We have never owned a cat and have convinced ourselves that "we've checked everywhere". Stories I am reading tells of cats who seem to vanish into thin air and reappear at their own will! LOL!

I will just keep making sure she's got fresh food and water in her bowls. My son scooped the litter box after school yesterday so we'll have to see when we get home today if she's used it.

ahhhhhh.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:42 PM

and, thanks everyone

Old 12-19-2013, 02:47 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
eh,

Kitty will come out when she determines it is time to show herself.
She is exploring, has a nice hiding place where she can probably see and hear everything that is going on.

Leave food, water and her litter out.
She will eventually feel safe and secure enough to come out and "allow" you to bask in her presence....LOL

Old 12-19-2013, 02:48 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,669,615 times
Cats sleep (on average) 17 out of the 24 hours of a day.
We lost my grandmothers cat when she came to visit. We all looked everywhere. I eventually found him and just started laughing. I had looked under the bed several times, as well as everyone else. He had found a tear in the fabric of the box spring, climbed in and instant kitty hammock!
Could be your kitty has found something similar. Could be there is a cubby in the sofa or big chair that the cat has found.
Beings the cat does come out, I really would not worry too much.
Standing at the stairs looking innocent shows that the cat is just fine.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Every time I moved, we lost our cat for a while. Her favorite place was hiding inside closed moving boxes. When the cat climbs onto the closed box, the top collapses and pops right back into place. You'd never guess there was a cat in the box by looking at it. One time I found her in a kitchen drawer. I opened the drawer to unpack the silverware, and there she was. She had climbed up to the drawer from inside the cabinet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats