U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:06 PM

7,630 posts, read 5,126,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
That first one is awesomely Star Trek themed. I mean, that's the Enterprise on top, right? I think the spikes are some other ship or whatever... I'm a geek, but Star Trek isn't my particular passion, if it were shaped like stuff from Doctor Who I'd know what I was talking about. LOL

I want to make a cat tree. And shelves. One day I'll have a job where all I do is turn useless trash into awesome stuff people want. But today...I need my health insurance plan... trapped in the cubicle...
Isn't that the space station from Deep Space 9 (tv series)? Looks familiar... just can't place it for sure.
Anyway, they did an awesome job on it. My cats would be all over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 09:14 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,492,371 times
Jasper hates all cat trees. He hated the great one I bought for him. Sigh. He prefers to just lay on the bed.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:27 PM

7,630 posts, read 5,126,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Jasper hates all cat trees. He hated the great one I bought for him. Sigh. He prefers to just lay on the bed.
Sorry to hear Jasper didn't like the tree. I've heard there are two kinds of cats- tree dwellers and bush dwellers, and I think that's true. Years ago I built two over the doorway lofts with alternating platforms to climb up on and a small open-ended house to curl up in. All the cats love them and use them regularly, except one. I've seen Stormy up in one maybe twice in ten years, and only for a minute. He's never been one to climb up on anything very much. A chair is about as high as he goes. The lofts got quite a bit more use when the cats were younger than they do now, so maybe age has a little to do with it also.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:00 PM

15,686 posts, read 9,700,813 times
Chewy and Daisy are tree dwellers but Lucky is afraid of heights. I put him up on the kitchen counter one time and he was petrified. Some cats are jumpers and some are not.

Don

Old 01-03-2014, 01:24 AM

734 posts, read 1,405,131 times
I got my cat Chloe a cat tree for Christmas this year, and to my surprise...her favorite part is the scratching posts! She previously had a scratch mat and a small scratch post with a base and didn't use either one of those, so I was shocked to see her enjoy the scratch posts on the tree as much as she does. Aside from the posts, she also enjoys sleeping on the top layer which is roughly three feet from the ceiling. The part about that picture that shocks me the most are the curtains! Is my cat the only cat that tries climbing curtains?

Old 01-03-2014, 01:47 AM

29,633 posts, read 31,957,040 times
My cats loved the small "cat tree" I got for them and wore it out. After a couple years it was SO bad looking I went out and bought another one exactly like it. Guess what? They never took to it. Some of the cats changed (death/new adoptions) but it was never well used. Last year a cat started showing up at our back sliding door at night, just watching the action. Fast forward to now...we found out the cat actually lives across the street but he comes over every night just DOMINATES that cat tree. He's sleeping on it now. So after years of inactivity it's a treat to see it being used again

Old 01-03-2014, 09:34 AM

9,918 posts, read 19,712,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
That first one is awesomely Star Trek themed. I mean, that's the Enterprise on top, right? I think the spikes are some other ship or whatever... I'm a geek, but Star Trek isn't my particular passion, if it were shaped like stuff from Doctor Who I'd know what I was talking about. LOL

I want to make a cat tree. And shelves. One day I'll have a job where all I do is turn useless trash into awesome stuff people want. But today...I need my health insurance plan... trapped in the cubicle...
Funny, I thought it was the Deep Space 9 station in the middle but I think I missed the Enterprise shape on the top originally!

We were looking at cat beds online the other day, handmade ones, and then decided we'd try to make a couple. And yeah I think I might try a hand at making a cat tree of some kind. Originally my SO said she didn't want to have dedicated cat furniture again but I think she's coming around to the idea that they're going to need one piece at least.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:54 AM

9,824 posts, read 6,301,009 times
Somewhere (it might have been on one of the threads here) I saw this awesome thing where a person took old dresser drawers, painted them different distressed colors, and mounted them with shelf brackets up the corner walls of a room so the cats could climb and perch in them. I absolutely LOVE the repurposing of old stuff like that. And it looked really cool.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:15 AM

1,273 posts, read 3,328,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Really? I thought all cats wanted to be as high as possible so they can truly look down on us .
I have one of those little "hammock" things that attaches to the window with suction cups and my
20-pounder can be found there every morning....one of the other 2 might be there from time to time. I would like to get a high tower though for their enjoyment... but the stuff I see at Petsmart or Petco seems
like cheapo construction yet VERY expensive!

I heard Costco had some nice cat trees at a decent price...I want to check it out.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:51 AM

369 posts, read 561,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
I heard Costco had some nice cat trees at a decent price...I want to check it out.
They did in December but they're all gone now, at least at the store near me. I think it might have been a holiday item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats