U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 06:46 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,006,769 times

Advertisements

None of these foods will work if the (typical) fussy cat refuses to eat them. Sophie aka The Empress now will only eat the special varieties of Fancy Feast (the ones that are more expensive than people hors d'oeuvres ) . She could stand to gain a few pounds, though, but she is just so particular. Any ideas ? She eats some , only one specific kind, of dry food... something with fish on it which is what the shelter had given her and she will not drink the goat's milk that I ordered for her.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 AM

9,918 posts, read 19,683,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
No I'm not "recommending" EVO. Just letting you know, based on something I read, somewhere on their website, over a year ago, that EVO canned may be an option for a cat who needs to gain a couple of pounds.
EVO is indeed a pretty calorie-dense food. The 5.5oz cans have 200+ calories which is on the high end of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
None of these foods will work if the (typical) fussy cat refuses to eat them. Sophie aka The Empress now will only eat the special varieties of Fancy Feast (the ones that are more expensive than people hors d'oeuvres ) . She could stand to gain a few pounds, though, but she is just so particular. Any ideas ? She eats some , only one specific kind, of dry food... something with fish on it which is what the shelter had given her and she will not drink the goat's milk that I ordered for her.
It is for me one of the most frustrating things I ever remember, although much of that is coupled with trying to get my sick cat to eat. It rears up again already at times with the new ones, but perhaps I am just over sensitive to it now. One thing to try if you haven't is to crumble a bit of favorite treat over the food. I've observed that feeding a treat or two right near the bowl, then have more crumbled over the food in the bowl, might entice some eating. One of the new cats likes freeze-dried treats so that has worked with her. The other one hasn't been much for treats except for Temptations. I haven't yet resorted to crumbling the Temptations but I might. According to the vet visit the larger cat (Widget, who likes the freeze dried treats and I guess must have better appetite although that hasn't been obvious to me) has gained a few oz compared to the last weigh at the shelter, but the smaller cat (Poppet) has not. Vet did say that he wouldn't worry too much if they don't gain a lot, probably could stand to have half a pound but not necessarily more than that. Cats are supposed to be lean and he was thinking it's refreshing to see cats who are not overweight.

I didn't have any luck with goat milk either with Amber. A couple of stores near me carry the frozen goat milk, but I bought it once and didn't have luck. She did like Cat-Sip (that's not very high cal though, they use 1% milk!) until we tainted it by mixing meds in.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:42 AM

1,444 posts, read 2,130,470 times
Thanks for the feedback.

I am trying*Nature's Variety Instinct cans. Chicken seems to be the most popular... Rabbit, Duck, and Lamb less so. Have others found this to be consistent with their cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It's all about the calories. For weight loss, feed less. For weight gain, feed more.

So yes, you CAN do it. But...

Of course, just like for humans, it's not always that simple. The trouble with trying to feed more is that the cat tends to only eat so much volume. That is where having a more calorie dense food is helpful. The trouble with trying to feed less is that a cat (like a person) may well react to having less volume too and bug you about feeding all the time.

So, trying to have weight loss while using a calorie dense food may not work that well. Not sure. The key is just to have the calorie intake be less. For an example, Cats in the Kitchen (from Weruva) Double Dip (chicken and beef) is popular with the new kitties, but I use it as an extra treat because it would take so much of it to feed them as their main food that I don't think they would get enough calories in. For weight loss though it might be helpful, just doesn't have that many calories, only about 70 I think in a 3oz can. That translates to only about 120 calories in 5.5oz, which is pretty low. Most of the standard 5.5oz cans have at least 150 calories in there, and some get up to 200 calories and more. The Instinct is in the very dense 200+ calorie range for a 5.5oz can. The portion amount you'd have to feed a cat trying to lose weight might just be too small to keep the cat happy.

Stay away from stuff that is labeled as reduced calorie, light, weight loss, etc. Mostly that stuff has some meat taken out and replaced with varying types of non-meat lower calorie filler.

You also need to do a calculation and make sure you don't feed your cat too little when doing weight loss. This is discussed in much detail on the catinfo.org site.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 AM

9,666 posts, read 7,638,989 times
Please take any underweight cats or kittens to the vet for a thorough check-up. Weight loss, or failure to thrive, can be due to any number of causes, ranging from fussy kitties to parasites to thyroid, kidney, urinary, or diabetic issues. Determining the cause of a cat's thinness is necessary to treat it appropriately. It's not all about the cat food.

My elderly cat went from 17 to 14 pounds in just a couple of months. It turned out that he needed to be switched from UT diet to KD and have a pill added to his daily thyroid meds. He's gaining back the lost weight now, and seems to be feeling much better now.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:11 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
For a very old, sick cat, I have found that chicken baby food, first meat for babies, works well. You can thin it with warm water. Our old cat ate that when he had only a few teeth left.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,269,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I am trying*Nature's Variety Instinct cans. Chicken seems to be the most popular... Rabbit, Duck, and Lamb less so. Have others found this to be consistent with their cats?
My cat loves the Nature's Variety Rabbit (when he's in the mood for it) and I also found at Petco they had the frozen raw, but I had to actually ask about it, it was hidden back in the dogfood section, sharing a freezer with the NV frozen raw dogfood products. I like to keep a bag of the frozen raw rabbit bites on hand, I filled a bunch of little plastic containers with smaller portions and stacked 'em in the freezer, to be thawed one at a time. I keep a wide variety of foods on hand most of the time, but Nimbus is picky, and goes through phases. What was his favorite, now he won't eat...and next week his tastes will be completely different. Makes sense I guess. I'm not always in the mood for pizza! So, if whatever can of food I've given isn't appealing to him, I break out the rabbit raw bites and give him some of those instead.

He hates lamb. Period. We don't do lamb.

For the most part, from what I've read, you're going to want to stick to chicken, turkey, duck and rabbit. Avoid fish!

Agree with others, make sure you've got a clean bill of health from the vet to rule out other reasons for weight issues.

During most of his kitten-hood, my little guy was eating up to 4 3oz cans of wet food a day, no dry. Around 10-11 months of age, he started looking kind of pudgy, and often wouldn't finish his food...so we gradually scaled that back to 3 cans. This seems to be the "right" amount for him, assuming he's eating it.

Also, the "kitten" designation doesn't mean much on foods. I still buy Royal Canin "babycat" and "kitten" sometimes, because he likes it and the protein/fat/carb calorie percentages are OK...I would not buy their adult cat foods though, too high in carbs!

Old 01-07-2014, 06:19 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,130,470 times
Let me clarify...I have fed BG for several years to my one cat and she is on the lighter side...she had never really liked dry food as much as canned.

She still acts like a kitten and couldn't thrive anymore than she already does LOL

Just realized over time of trying to keep her on the lighter side she is a little too light.

She had complete blood work done recently and thyroid and all came back normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Please take any underweight cats or kittens to the vet for a thorough check-up. Weight loss, or failure to thrive, can be due to any number of causes, ranging from fussy kitties to parasites to thyroid, kidney, urinary, or diabetic issues. Determining the cause of a cat's thinness is necessary to treat it appropriately. It's not all about the cat food.

My elderly cat went from 17 to 14 pounds in just a couple of months. It turned out that he needed to be switched from UT diet to KD and have a pill added to his daily thyroid meds. He's gaining back the lost weight now, and seems to be feeling much better now.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:41 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,144,095 times
I just found this in the FAQ section of Petguard http://www.petguard.com/faq: "PetGuard is a nutrient- dense food, with no fillers, artificial preservatives or by-products. You may find that pets will require a smaller amount of food at each meal using PetGuard than they needed using many other products."

I'm not recommending this line (I just started looking at the site) so, just passing along information, although I, personally, would only feed the canned, not the dry, no matter the brand.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,269,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
I just found this in the FAQ section of Petguard http://www.petguard.com/faq: "PetGuard is a nutrient- dense food, with no fillers, artificial preservatives or by-products. You may find that pets will require a smaller amount of food at each meal using PetGuard than they needed using many other products."

I'm not recommending this line (I just started looking at the site) so, just passing along information, although I, personally, would only feed the canned, not the dry, no matter the brand.

leanansidhex: I'm glad you're not prepared to recommend it, because I clicked to their canned cat foods and without even looking at ingredients, just the names of the flavors, we've got vegetables, fish, barley, rice, and wheat germ in the various types.

I'm not feelin' it from this brand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or