U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 09:10 AM

1,273 posts, read 3,322,408 times

Advertisements

HI,

I took in a stray boy two years ago this month and he's doing pretty well for being FIV+ and recently an "early megacolon" kittiy Several months back I got a Zoom Groom which he ADORES... he even tries to sit up on his haunches, like he's "begging" to be brushed with it! (I say try because he's about 20 pounds! He's built like a Maine Coon... my joke was that when he was still living on the grounds he had a girl in every port feeding his sweet self!)

I think I should also have a soft wire brush or a "rake" though... what would be some recommendations?
He doesn't have mats and when I can I just cut away with a scissors at his upper chest fur so he doesn't get a mouthful as he's grooming himself. I also try to trim some "butt hair" too when I can as I'd rather keep him from licking THAT clean if I can!

Thanks for suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 10:18 AM

31,153 posts, read 57,274,608 times
I use a cheapo wire brush I got at PetsMart; all I have to do is pick up the brush and they come running.

Some people swear by the Furminator, especially for long haired cats. I saw they now even make a Furminator to hook up to your vacuum cleaner. My cats would not tolerate that! LOL

Thanks for rescuing your kitty!

Old 01-04-2014, 02:41 PM

15,566 posts, read 9,642,463 times
Lucky has very long hair and gets knots in it. The best thing I have found is one of those plastic barber's combs, the long ones with big teeth on one end and little teeth on the other. It doesn't scratch their skin and pulls out tons of dead hair and knots.

I have had every cat brush on the market and this one works the best for me, and is cheap.

Don

Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 AM

2,050 posts, read 1,762,143 times
You might try a slicker brush. I recently bought a Four Paws brand of gentle slicker brush that works well.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:35 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
I have 2 seventeen yo Ragdolls who love the zoom groom. They fight over who gets it first. And when they see the dogs getting groomed with their special brush they try to hog into that scene too. But I've found wire brushes are too rough for both dogs and cats. The ones I've tried are those long ones with bent thin wires. But the oval or round ones with thicker prongs seem to work fine. I have to be careful I don't irritate anybody's skin so I have to be very careful with tools I use.
I think the zoom groom or the furminator would be all you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats