U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:58 AM

7,605 posts, read 5,111,496 times

Advertisements

I have three open pan-type litter boxes (one is high-sided). Two of them have Cats Pride Fresh & Light litter and the other is Arm & Hammer Essentials Double Action litter. The are located in the very back room of the house which is also my utility/ hobby room. It's a secluded part of the house, so any scattered litter or odor isn't noticeable, and it's an easy area to clean. I scoop all 3 boxes 3 times a day; morning, late afternoon, and late at night before going to bed.
No funny stories to relate, but my senior cat Stormy has a very odd habit when using the box. He first steps into the one with A & H Essentials and does a turn around, steps into the second low sided box with the Cats Pride and does another turn around, then steps into the high-sided box to finally do his business. He does this same routine every time and always ends up using the high-sided box. Don't know what it's all about, but if it works for him, then it works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 12:08 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,608,789 times
I have 3 all different. One enclosed, one low side and one high side. I discovered that the low side has to be placed so that they can't overturn it. I think it's Joe who tips it over, he's quite enthusiastic about everything, I joke if I had known what he'd be like as an adult I'd have named him "Zoom Zoom."

Scooter is particular about the box, it MUST be clean, the other two don't seem to care much - I scoop after work but once in a while I get distracted and forget. When I do Scooter lets me know by pooping on the floor. Fortunately that's all he does. They don't care what type of litter I use as long as it's clean. I've been using the lightweight scoopable litter lately, it's more expensive but easier to handle. I'm still waiting for trackless litter, Joe manages to fling litter to all corners of the house. I think he has pockets that he hides both litter and fur in that he later distributes evenly around the house.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:43 PM

31,199 posts, read 57,331,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Funny story. She cleans the litter herself if she thinks I'm slacking by setting the clumps just outside of it.
Mine will kick the poop out of the box if they're unsatisfied with its condition. Not sure if it's one or both of them doing it; probably the male, he's much more fastidious.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:31 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,894,392 times
I have two kittens (about 4.5 months old) and two boxes. Both are covered and one has a cat flap - the other doesn't. They are both in the living room area. I use Arm & Hammer scoopable litter. My cats don't seem to care that the boxes aren't uncovered. They use both equally. My boyfriend scoops one in the morning and I do the other at night, so one is always fresher for about 12 hours.

As a result, I haven't had any accidents yet. They have tried to play in the boxes before...I try to discourage it!

Old 01-08-2014, 06:23 PM

154 posts, read 369,381 times
Where is yours? Guest bedroom (moved when I have guests)
What type is it? Covered? Litter Robot
How many do you have? Could only afford 1 (even though 2 cats)
What type of litter do you use? World's Best
How often do you scoop? NEVER!!

Any funny stories?
Only that the reason I had to get the Litter Robot is because my sister (who is my cat sitter when I go away) couldn't handle the idea of cleaning poop. I had to buy her long gloves, goggles and a mask, otherwise she wouldn't clean the litter box. Amazing that she had children and was able to handle diapers!

Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,719,117 times
I now have 3 large litter boxes rather than 5 normal size ones. They all have high sides with no cover.

I use Arm and Hammer Essentials Natural Litter and will put down the A&H Litter Deodorizer on the plastic box before putting new litter in. I find this to be helpful so that the urine smells don't get into the plastic.

There is one located in our master bathroom downstairs, one in a guest bathroom upstairs and one in a guest bedroom upstairs.

I scoop each one at least 3 times a day.

I have the usual situations......them slinging litter everywhere, coming into the box to "help" me when I'm cleaning it, and I have one that can never cover his stuff up. He tries and tries but all he is doing is scratching the plastic side walls and he will do it for a VERY long time. Then after he leaves usually "daddy" cat will go back in smell around and cover up the other guys business.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:59 AM
KB4

387 posts, read 1,096,049 times
I happened to watch a video by Jackson Galaxy (from "My cat from hell") yesterday and was surprised that he recommended against "excessive" cleaning of litter boxes. This seems to go against what most other experts recommend. Since out kitten's litter box is in my son's bedroom, I think we'll continue with 'excessive' scooping (2-3 times a day). So far, the kitty is not complaining

The Politics of Litter - YouTube

Old 01-12-2014, 08:50 AM

5,876 posts, read 11,760,706 times
Three cats, four boxes. Three of the boxes are on an elevated platform, the fourth is underneath. They never use that one, but it's there if they should need it.

I scoop multiple times a day. When I get up, before I leave for work, when I come home for lunch (if they've been used) when I come home from work and before I go to bed, or any other time they are used if I am home to do it.

I use Cat's Pride Naturals fragrance free clumping litter. No dust, no perfumes, no litter box odor.

I use formed paper litter box liners in the plastic boxes. I use the WonderBox brand in the regular sided boxes and Nature's Miracle jumbo in the tall sided boxes. They are replaced (old litter disposed of fresh litter started) once a month.

I use a yoga mat spread along the floor below the platform. When they jump off the platform onto the yoga mat it grabs the litter off their feet. This controls the litter box tracking problem extremely well. And it is easy to clean.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 AM

9,918 posts, read 19,697,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
I happened to watch a video by Jackson Galaxy (from "My cat from hell") yesterday and was surprised that he recommended against "excessive" cleaning of litter boxes. This seems to go against what most other experts recommend. Since out kitten's litter box is in my son's bedroom, I think we'll continue with 'excessive' scooping (2-3 times a day). So far, the kitty is not complaining
That's a pretty good video. I think it's worth noting I don't think he was suggesting you shouldn't scoop that often. I find once a day is enough, but if you're doing more and that works for you, I don't think that alone is going against what Jackson Galaxy said in the video. What he is suggesting sounded like we needn't overdo it with full scrubbing and disinfecting.

I still don't know how often I'm going to do that. I did get a second box to rotate, I've had the cats 5 weeks, and I did one swap to the clean box so far. Although, in that swap, I did not do a full dump of the litter, just poured all the existing litter into the new box so I could clean the other one. That is probably where I will continue until I find a point where I want to dump the litter entirely and start fresh. I will separate the two actions because while I can keep it fairly deep there is a limit due to the low front entry of the high-sided box. The new kitties are a bit more aggressive diggers so they might still occasionally get something a little bit stuck to the bottom, plus sometimes they go right at the sides which results in some sticking there. So it's looking like I may want to swap boxes every few weeks while only swapping litter every couple months, something like that.

In my old setup I could sort of clean the sides a bit as I went, extending the times between box swaps, but the new layout for the moment doesn't lend itself to that. No big deal.

I wish I could find a good mat that the cats will step on. I haven't tried a bunch because I don't want to waste money on those! I bought one originally, but it was clear they were jumping over it, so I reverted to an ordinary towel which is only marginally effective.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:26 AM

5,876 posts, read 11,760,706 times
Quote:
I wish I could find a good mat that the cats will step on. I haven't tried a bunch because I don't want to waste money on those! I bought one originally, but it was clear they were jumping over it, so I reverted to an ordinary towel which is only marginally effective.
The yoga mat is long. The cats can't jump over it. There is no place to jump, except on the mat.

It has just enough give to it to grab the litter off the feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or