U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,499,594 times

Advertisements

We have two cats, two uncovered boxes in two different rooms. The litter we use was Feline Pine, but we now get the pine pellet horse bedding at Tractor Supply ($5 for 40 lbs), which the cats don't mind. We scoop every day or so, sift the litter once a week, and wash the boxes when we think they're getting too gross, maybe a couple-three times a year. At that time, we check the plastic to make sure it hasn't weakened from the cat urine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 01:54 PM

51,222 posts, read 50,499,962 times
I have one very large litter box in the bathroom. I also had one smaller one in my bedroom because my blind cat would sometimes go in inappropriate places if another cat wanted to use the box and she would get anxious. The blind one died two weeks ago, and she had been using that box exclusively because she was sick, so after she died I cleaned it and put it away.

The people who have nothing to do but dream this type of stuff up recommend, I've read, that you have one box for each cat plus one. That's just not going to fly in a 942 s.f. condo. I don't need litter boxes in every room. The one I have looks like a child's small sandbox. It's huge, and it fits nicely in the corner of the bathroom. My three remaining cats are just fine with using it.

If I go away overnight and leave the catters alone, I'll put out the extra box for them.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:10 PM

5,876 posts, read 11,745,747 times
Yep, one box per cat plus one is a good way to avoid litter box avoidance problems.

Many cats prefer to urinate and poop in different boxes. Many cats don't want to use a box if there's already something in it from another cat.

My apartment is almost half the size of yours, yours sound palatial to me. I manage four, all in one small spot. Three on a platform, one underneath.

Today is dump and replace day. The week leading up to this day (it's done once a month) I stop adding fresh litter to the boxes. As the levels get low I dump from one to another, leaving two boxes by Wednesday, and down to one on Saturday. This morning they all managed to use the one. I scooped it all out to hold them over until I was able to do the final clean out and put in the fresh liners.

As I went to finally get it done, one of my girls came with me. She put her paws up on the edge of the box and looked it over. She wrinkled her nose, looked at me and I could read her as if she had spoken out loud. "No thanks, I'll wait".

Old 01-12-2014, 02:27 PM

51,222 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Yep, one box per cat plus one is a good way to avoid litter box avoidance problems.

Many cats prefer to urinate and poop in different boxes. Many cats don't want to use a box if there's already something in it from another cat.

My apartment is almost half the size of yours, yours sound palatial to me. I manage four, all in one small spot. Three on a platform, one underneath.

Today is dump and replace day. The week leading up to this day (it's done once a month) I stop adding fresh litter to the boxes. As the levels get low I dump from one to another, leaving two boxes by Wednesday, and down to one on Saturday. This morning they all managed to use the one. I scooped it all out to hold them over until I was able to do the final clean out and put in the fresh liners.

As I went to finally get it done, one of my girls came with me. She put her paws up on the edge of the box and looked it over. She wrinkled her nose, looked at me and I could read her as if she had spoken out loud. "No thanks, I'll wait".
I know that look! Mine don't want a dirty box, either!

I scoop every morning before work and then again at night. Every so often I dump out the big box and clean it well.

I do have to vacuum the "kick out" litter at the side of the box every couple of days or it sticks to the bottom of my feet.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 PM

187 posts, read 552,488 times
I use the pine pellets from tractor supply also.. I have five boxes for five cats, but they are all in a row in the basement. Love the pine pellets!!

Old 01-12-2014, 04:29 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
Thinking about a self scoop cat box...anyone have one or use one?
LitterMaid Elite Basic Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box - Automatic Litter Box from petco.com

Old 01-13-2014, 08:42 AM

369 posts, read 560,368 times
I have two, one in the spare bathroom (in the tub to control the litter they kick out) and one in the bedroom across the hall which is the kitty bedroom. Their drinking fountain is in there too along with a scratching pad and some boxes for them to play in. Both litter boxes are uncovered. The one in the bathroom has detachable high sides, they seemed to make it hard for Toby to get in and out of the box so I took them off. They were redundant since the box is in the tub anyway.

I scoop every night before going to bed and I use Tidy Cats clumping unscented. I started out using Fresh Step because I can get it cheap at Costco, but when I realized how dusty it was making the bathroom I decided to switch. Tidy Cats is much less dusty, and it's on sale often so it's not that much more expensive. One time I tried the scented litter just to see if helped with odor, but it actually made things worse. The litter box smelled like rotting fruit.

I can't really recall any funny stories... One time I was talking to my mom on the phone and for some reason got on the subject of litter boxes, and described to her how I can tell who the poop belongs to by its shape. She thought that was funny.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:49 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,269,187 times
Where is yours? <-- What is technically our dining room but not used for that, it's my computer room, with my desk and bookshelves. I put the box in a corner of that room.

What type is it? Covered? <-- It's just your basic open litterbox. Large size, burgundy colored plastic, purchased at Petsmart. I don't like the covered ones.

How many do you have? <-- One. We used to have a second one in the basement, but Nimbus informed me within the first couple of weeks that if we have two litterboxes, the second one will be used for sleeping in, not pottying in (I'd go to scoop daily, never any waste in it.) So I removed the second box and put a soft folded blanket there since he liked laying in that spot. *shrug* No one tells the cat what to do...

What type of litter do you use? Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat blue bag, I've also used Cat's Pride lighter weight litter and Petco brand. Generally clay litter that is non scented, dust free, and clumping.

How often do you scoop? Daily. It's part of my morning routine. I've timed it, including the hand washing it takes 3 minutes. In my mornings, every minute counts...

Any funny stories? Yeah, besides the litterbox turned bed story...

At first he used to take crazy acrobatic flying leaps out of the litterbox, which would scatter litter in about a 5 foot radius all over the floor. I eventually found a system...I put the litterbox in the corner, and parallel with the long side of the box I have next to it a large tote with a lid which holds clean litter and a scoop (not a slatted one, but like the kind you use for dry goods in a bin)...so when I scoop his box, if it's looking a little low, I can add a couple scoops. The added benefit is that this tote container is tall, so it hides the litterbox from casual view from the kitchen, and it prevents Nimbus from leaping forth into the room. A few feet away on the other side of the box is a sculpture of mine, so he can't leap that way either. He has to step out on the mat, which captures the litter for the most part.

One thing that I find hilarious about his litterbox behavior, is that after he poops, he feels the need to do a supersonic victory dash around the house. He gets the post-poop friskies. It's already silly when he's tearing about like a lunatic, but the added element of, "Yay! I pooped!!" just...yeah. Silly cat.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:30 PM

5,876 posts, read 11,745,747 times
I call that The Poop Run.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:16 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,326,380 times
We have 3 boxes and use clumping litter. Mainly unscented Fresh Step. We have 4 cats. At one time we did have 4 boxes but they almost never used the 4th box so we eliminated it. One box is in the old office, one in the main bathroom and the 3rd is in the utility nook.

We don't use regular litterpans. We use those large clear plastic totes from WalMart. None are covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or