Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:28 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Really didn't think about salt content (I should have known). I'll definitely limit what I give them. Looks like my ham & cheese will go the way of the old tuna sandwich.... lock myself in the bathroom to make one & eat it.
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Good luck with that. I tried that when I eat a can of tuna. It doesn't fool them. I don't give my cats tuna, ever, but the smell apparently is attractive anyway. They are all crowded at the door when I come out. Now I eat it on the porch. Fortunately I don't eat tuna very often. I don't even like it but I keep the small cans around for when I need a quick really high protein lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 07:27 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Cha-Cha will sit on a bar stool and miraculously grow a neck extension when I cut ham. There is no way not to give her a tiny piece or two.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:39 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Good luck with that. I tried that when I eat a can of tuna. It doesn't fool them. I don't give my cats tuna, ever, but the smell apparently is attractive anyway. They are all crowded at the door when I come out. Now I eat it on the porch. Fortunately I don't eat tuna very often. I don't even like it but I keep the small cans around for when I need a quick really high protein lunch.
Yep, same at my house plus all the meowing & wailing at the door. That's why I don't indulge in tuna very often. Just not worth all the hassle.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Nature's Variety Instinct has a pork formula now even. I bought a can today to try.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Nature's Variety Instinct has a pork formula now even. I bought a can today to try.
That's interesting. My guys are getting really picky about what they like, and I'm always looking/trying new varieties with little success. I think they might go for some something pork flavored. Worth a try, so I'll look for some of this next time I'm up in the big city.
Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:48 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,236,733 times
I had a cat that would do ANYTHING for ham. He was like an addict. My cousin would bring a piece when she visited just to see his antics, he was that funny. He'd meow, paw the table, your leg and if that didn't work he'd fall on the floor and roll around. If you got up and walked around with it he'd follow. No one could, me included, could deny that cat his ham. He would eat an entire piece if we let him. He never seemed to have an issue with it, he didn't get it often, I'm a vegetarian but he thought he was in kitty heaven when he did

Old 01-13-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
I had a cat that would do ANYTHING for ham. He was like an addict. My cousin would bring a piece when she visited just to see his antics, he was that funny. He'd meow, paw the table, your leg and if that didn't work he'd fall on the floor and roll around. If you got up and walked around with it he'd follow. No one could, me included, could deny that cat his ham. He would eat an entire piece if we let him. He never seemed to have an issue with it, he didn't get it often, I'm a vegetarian but he thought he was in kitty heaven when he did
My guys are about as bad. It's no more than 10 or 15 seconds from the time I open the package until there's 4 or 5 cats sitting on the floor behind me waiting. I usually make them wait until I finish my sandwich, then give them just a small bite of meat. It frustrates me that it's sometimes difficult to get them eat what's good for them, but that they crave food that may not be. I guess we humans are much the same in that regard.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 923 times
Question My cat is addicted to ham!

I do not know what to do he will snap the hand off my hand when I am preping a sandwich.He will attempt to open the fridge to get the ham.I never gave him ham he is obbsessed with ham but thank God its turkey ham and its low in salt and he also love turkey breast and chicken.I brought him a whole bag of all natural food for him cost more but the cat when it smells my ham from a distance he will snatch it of my hand.He has gotten so bad that my son and grandchildren go ham shopping for him because when we bring the groceries if he sees it he hops and if I did not know any better I think he smiles.I do not know if the fact that its turkey ham and low in sodium and he is can only have 1 thin slice of it a day.He looks foward to that slice all day its like christmas to him.Is there something wrong with my cat ? Does he need to go to the doctors will he get sick? We have gone as far as to seal the ham in a plastic bowl with a lid on it he cant open it to prevent him from getting any more but he must have this one slice a day or all day its miserable time for him.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:47 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,141 times
Ham is fine and I have seen many do the same! Try to introduce other treats (some cats like diced green olive, cottage cheese, pieces of vegetables) or a new toy (Yeow Brand catnip toys are highly desirable to mine) to take his mind off the ham.
I loved your story and can totally relate. Krakus polish ham is great if one can find it anymore.
Try to tire him out with play and and get him to like other foods/toys/play time and perhaps the obsession will die down.
Spoiling cats is just what we end up doing because they are such intelligent creatures. Do you have him sit for the piece of ham? What I.m saying is get something else going in addition to the ham, such as a new toy he loves.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:10 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Since it is the two of us, we eat in the living room on t.v. trays. EVERY night, Elvira sits on the floor starring up at Hubby licking her chops. Electra is on her "perch" (the arm on my chair) and she will lean in to sniff what I am eating. Hubby is usually the first the give in and will give Elvira a piece of meat-doesn't matter what meat we are eating-chicken, beef, and of course pork/ham. So, if Elvira has a piece, that means that Electra has to have a piece, too. Josette isn't interested. We have given her a piece but she NEVER eats it-Elvira usually volunteers to eat it for her.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats