U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2014, 05:15 PM
 
1,373 posts, read 2,364,711 times
Reputation: 1425

Advertisements

I keep hearing so called ""cat lovers"" here talking about either totally outdoor cats or indoor/outdoor cats. I am wondering how far from your front or back door you let your cats roam before labelling them outdoor cats?

 
Old 01-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,364 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Reputation: 60290
We who have indoor cats don't let them roam at all. That's why they are indoor cats.
 
Old 01-11-2014, 06:30 PM
 
1,373 posts, read 2,364,711 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We who have indoor cats don't let them roam at all. That's why they are indoor cats.

Gotcha!! Your cats will live a LOOONG healthy life!
 
Old 01-11-2014, 07:53 PM
 
1,179 posts, read 1,250,004 times
Reputation: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I keep hearing so called ""cat lovers"" here talking about either totally outdoor cats or indoor/outdoor cats. I am wondering how far from your front or back door you let your cats roam before labelling them outdoor cats?
If they leave the porch, they are indoor/outdoor cats. We have two indoor, one indoor/outdoor and four totally cats.

The out door and the indoor/outdoor seem the happiest. They hunt, run over the property, climb trees, climb on top of they chicken coop.

I think it is cruel to keep cats indoors exclusively if they want to go outside.
 
Old 01-11-2014, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,437 posts, read 41,696,241 times
Reputation: 47030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
.

I think it is cruel to keep cats indoors exclusively if they want to go outside.
What is cruel is to allow cats outside where they are subject to dangers like dogs, other cats, traffic and ticks and fleas---but we have discussed this on this forum over and over again. The last indoor/outdoor cat I had was viciously torn apart by a fox my neighbor had been throwing scraps to. The guilt is still with me and I will never have another outdoor cat. The two I have had inside for 12 years are perfectly happy but most importantly they are healthy.
 
Old 01-12-2014, 04:53 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,897,953 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
If they leave the porch, they are indoor/outdoor cats. We have two indoor, one indoor/outdoor and four totally cats.

The out door and the indoor/outdoor seem the happiest. They hunt, run over the property, climb trees, climb on top of they chicken coop.

I think it is cruel to keep cats indoors exclusively if they want to go outside.
This is for those who have outdoor cats.
You chose to have a cat and now you impose your cat upon your neighbors. You also impose risk upon your cat. As others have said your cat stands a good chance to be attacked by dogs and wild life. Worse still your cat crossing the road can cause an accident. I feel the same about people who let their dogs roam. Do your pet a favor and take ownership of it. Protect it and keep it safe.
 
Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 AM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,364 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Reputation: 60290
When I was a kid, my mother didn't like animals and wouldn't let us have any pets in the house beyond turtles, hamsters, etc., that could live in a cage. We'd get stray cats sometimes in the woods behind us and I'd start to feed and befriend them, but every last one would eventually end up dead in the road, hit by cars.

I have cats now as an adult and they stay inside.
 
Old 01-12-2014, 11:30 AM
 
1,373 posts, read 2,364,711 times
Reputation: 1425
Does anyone here have ""outdoor"" cats that leave their own home & go to neighbor's houses. I ask because I keep hearing people ""instruct"" others about how to deal with their cats once they have gone to the neighbors. I find such lists exhaustive & expensive. eg requiring neighbors to use their hard earned money on mothballs etc to keep your cats away. It seems a lot of people here think its normal and neighbors should not bat an eye when confronted with your UNWANTED pet?
 
Old 01-12-2014, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,437 posts, read 41,696,241 times
Reputation: 47030
of course outdoor cats roam. they can climb fences, wiggle under them around gates, etc. they walk on others cars, poop in gardens(can anybody put moth balls all over their entire yards or neighborhoods or communities?) and besides socalled cat deterrents work about as well as deer repellents and we know how that works. if other cats are inside-even fixed cats, that is an invitation for a visitor. I just think it is irresponsible all the way around to let cats outside.
 
Old 01-12-2014, 12:13 PM
 
1,373 posts, read 2,364,711 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
of course outdoor cats roam. they can climb fences, wiggle under them around gates, etc. they walk on others cars, poop in gardens(can anybody put moth balls all over their entire yards or neighborhoods or communities?) and besides socalled cat deterrents work about as well as deer repellents and we know how that works. if other cats are inside-even fixed cats, that is an invitation for a visitor. I just think it is irresponsible all the way around to let cats outside.

True that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top