U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 06:33 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,135,996 times

Advertisements

What dry food do you use?

Wellness Core Indoor
Nature's Variety Instinct
EVO Innova

Seem to have the highest protein levels and grain free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I'm sorry - but getting up at 3am to feed the cat? I was thrilled when my daughter started sleeping thru the night and I was no longer required to get up multiple times a night or feed anyone in bed, LOL. I can't even fathom feeding a cat wet food in the bed at 3am...

Sometimes, wet food just doesn't work. We're gone frequently and the pet sitter is $22/day so - yeah, our cats get mostly dry food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 06:35 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,486,089 times
I don't eat dry cat food, Jasper does though, and he would not eat Welness dry.

He eats Royal Canin, high protein plus.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 AM

112 posts, read 208,926 times
I am not familiar with the 3 you mentioned, but the dry food I have been using for a while now is Indigo Moon Solid Gold & it is grain free. I've only seen it at Petco or online. The cats like it and I've had no issues with it. (they get mostly wet food now, but I sprinkle some in to entice them to eat sometimes or when we're going to be away).

Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 AM

5,877 posts, read 11,771,032 times
Quote:
I'm sorry - but getting up at 3am to feed the cat? I was thrilled when my daughter started sleeping thru the night and I was no longer required to get up multiple times a night or feed anyone in bed, LOL. I can't even fathom feeding a cat wet food in the bed at 3am...

Sometimes, wet food just doesn't work. We're gone frequently and the pet sitter is $22/day so - yeah, our cats get mostly dry food.
It takes one minute.

When you have special needs cats, you do what you have to do to ensure they get what they need. And that sometimes entails middle of the night feedings.

This, actually, is the third such cat I have had in my life that requires middle of the night care of one sort or another. So far.

Feeding dry for convenience is likely to lead you to expensive vet bills in the long run. So there won't be much savings after all.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Trying to avoid getting up in the middle of the night.
But how are you going to ensure the one cat gets the portion, and only the one cat? And how will you ensure that one cat eats it at the time you want her to eat it, rather than it being gobbled all up and then wake you anyway?

If this is just because a cat is waking you in the middle of the night, not because a cat can't go the entire night without eating for health reasons, in my opinion you are going about it in the wrong way. Behavior modification is what you want, not extra meals.

Forget about dry feeding and play with her before you go to bed so she is tired. Then feed a final meal, right before you go to bed. Same routine, Every night. Ignore any efforts to wake you. She'll learn to sleep through the night, or at least entertain herself elsewhere.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:15 PM

31,223 posts, read 57,365,082 times
My cats eat Halo Spot's Stew, the grain-free chicken flavor.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,290,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
It takes one minute.

When you have special needs cats, you do what you have to do to ensure they get what they need. And that sometimes entails middle of the night feedings.

This, actually, is the third such cat I have had in my life that requires middle of the night care of one sort or another. So far.

Feeding dry for convenience is likely to lead you to expensive vet bills in the long run. So there won't be much savings after all.
Well, the dry food thing can't be helped. It's just the way it is for us. I wouldn't have gotten pets if I had known we would be away so much but it is what it is..... I did feed a previous cat wet food only, until he died from the recalled pet food containing melamine.

I'm pretty sure that feeding the cats wet food in bed would never fly with the husband, LOL.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:19 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,290,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
Origen in the small bag is what mine get for those late night cravings. I just sprinkle a bit on the floor so they have to work a it for it and can't just scarf it down. I will also do this during the day sometimes just a little though as treat
Seriously? I'd love for my Siamese to quit waking us up at 5am to be feed but sprinkling cat food on the floor?

Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 PM

9,918 posts, read 19,707,857 times
Quote:
Seriously? I'd love for my Siamese to quit waking us up at 5am to be feed but sprinkling cat food on the floor?
I would suggest making feeding not the thing you do when you first get up. The cat will likely eventually adjust to a new routine, as long as you don't give in. They are very routinized, but your cat is currently stuck in the routine of waking you at 5am. If you would rather move that to 7am, then just don't feed before then. You can do other things that might help this along, like play before bed, extra feeding right before bed, etc.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Well, the dry food thing can't be helped. It's just the way it is for us. I wouldn't have gotten pets if I had known we would be away so much but it is what it is..... I did feed a previous cat wet food only, until he died from the recalled pet food containing melamine.

I'm pretty sure that feeding the cats wet food in bed would never fly with the husband, LOL.
It's not "cats", only one cat is fed this way, the other cats don't pay any attention, except to spread out more so making it more difficult for me to get back into the bed.

I take the already prepared dish from the kitchen, sit on the side of the bed next to her and "spoon" feed her with a small spatula. She sits up, daintily licks the spatula (takes three or four offerings), then curls back up and goes back to sleep. It's not at all messy.

However, I think the OP would do better with teaching kitty that night time is for sleeping, and waking the human will not get kitty fed. Along with my suggestion to play a lively game then give a final meal, I agree with Greg that the cats should not be feed immediately upon rising. Mine aren't, never have been, with the exception, again, of the one cat with special dietary needs. But the other cats don't expect to be fed when I first get up.

I'm sorry for your loss of your kitty back during the melamine poisoning. That was a terrible terrible time. I was fortunate that none of the canned foods I was feeding were affected but I have friends who lost pets. That was when I began really educating myself about feline nutrition, and pet food ingredients in general.

Last edited by catsmom21; 01-15-2014 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or