U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,444 posts, read 2,129,634 times
Reputation: 422

Advertisements

I tend to feed both my cats now 95% of the time canned cat food. However, I have one cat in particular who if she doesn't have a snack in the midnight hours, does everything to keep you up.

So which of the following dry foods is best if having to just use it as a snack:

  • Wellness Core Indoor
  • Innova EVO
  • Natures Variety Instinct

Both my cats are on the following canned foods:

  • Wellness Grain Free
  • Natures Variety Instinct
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2014, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Talmadge, San Diego, CA
12,966 posts, read 24,000,274 times
Reputation: 7682
Snickers gets to snack on Blue Buffalo dry food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,444 posts, read 2,129,634 times
Reputation: 422
Familiar with the above brands except for Innova EVO. Does it have the calories. Would appreciate feedback from those actually using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Ft. Myers
15,566 posts, read 9,642,463 times
Reputation: 34355
I've tried a bunch on ours and they seem to prefer Iams in the orange bag.


Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,444 posts, read 2,129,634 times
Reputation: 422
Thanks, but see above... Looking at high quality protein that's grain free.



Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've tried a bunch on ours and they seem to prefer Iams in the orange bag.


Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh area
9,918 posts, read 19,678,662 times
Reputation: 5072
Orijen is the one I still bought a little bag of when I first got the new cats home, but I quickly discontinued giving them any when I found that they were starting to refuse the canned food I was offering when they knew they'd get access to the dry later. How quickly that can happen, instant dry food addicts! But I was able to head that off with a couple days of no more dry, luckily. Whew. I still have a partial bag but it's in the fridge. (They can't smell it there.) I may use it up as treats. It's the little starter bag, only cost a few bucks, so no big deal if I waste it either.

The only remaining thing I don't know is how to deal with going away. We had a short trip early on and with the two full days we were gone I had the sitter come twice. (The other two days we left early in AM and arrived home in PM so sitter came once each of those days.) If we go away for long that will add up fast in cost. But I also don't think I can leave canned food out for 24 hours.

Anyway, rambling on there, but in general I think the Orijen is not bad as long as you're not feeding that entirely. There is a little salmon in there but I don't think that would be a big deal if it's not a big part of their diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2014, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Salem,Oregon
306 posts, read 321,747 times
Reputation: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Orijen is the one I still bought a little bag of when I first got the new cats home, but I quickly discontinued giving them any when I found that they were starting to refuse the canned food I was offering when they knew they'd get access to the dry later. How quickly that can happen, instant dry food addicts! But I was able to head that off with a couple days of no more dry, luckily. Whew. I still have a partial bag but it's in the fridge. (They can't smell it there.) I may use it up as treats. It's the little starter bag, only cost a few bucks, so no big deal if I waste
Origen in the small bag is what mine get for those late night cravings. I just sprinkle a bit on the floor so they have to work a it for it and can't just scarf it down. I will also do this during the day sometimes just a little though as treat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 04:03 AM
 
5,875 posts, read 11,740,839 times
Reputation: 7976
How do you intend to ensure that just the one cat eats this food, and only in the middle of the night?

I recommend eliminating all dry. I have a cat who needs to be fed in the middle of the ngiht. I prepare a small amount of canned, about .3oz (point three), in a dish and put the dish in a small tightly covered container. Along around 3 a.m. which is the time I usually wake in the night I get up and give it to her. Often I simply feed her in bed, since all the cats sleep with me. The other cats know this is her meal not theirs, so they don't even bother to wake up.

Then I go back to sleep.

Innova Evo is high in calories but they are known for recalls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 05:41 AM
 
2,379 posts, read 4,282,348 times
Reputation: 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
How do you intend to ensure that just the one cat eats this food, and only in the middle of the night?

I recommend eliminating all dry. I have a cat who needs to be fed in the middle of the ngiht. I prepare a small amount of canned, about .3oz (point three), in a dish and put the dish in a small tightly covered container. Along around 3 a.m. which is the time I usually wake in the night I get up and give it to her. Often I simply feed her in bed, since all the cats sleep with me. The other cats know this is her meal not theirs, so they don't even bother to wake up.

Then I go back to sleep.

Innova Evo is high in calories but they are known for recalls.
I'm sorry - but getting up at 3am to feed the cat? I was thrilled when my daughter started sleeping thru the night and I was no longer required to get up multiple times a night or feed anyone in bed, LOL. I can't even fathom feeding a cat wet food in the bed at 3am...

Sometimes, wet food just doesn't work. We're gone frequently and the pet sitter is $22/day so - yeah, our cats get mostly dry food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,444 posts, read 2,129,634 times
Reputation: 422
Trying to avoid getting up in the middle of the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
How do you intend to ensure that just the one cat eats this food, and only in the middle of the night?

I recommend eliminating all dry. I have a cat who needs to be fed in the middle of the ngiht. I prepare a small amount of canned, about .3oz (point three), in a dish and put the dish in a small tightly covered container. Along around 3 a.m. which is the time I usually wake in the night I get up and give it to her. Often I simply feed her in bed, since all the cats sleep with me. The other cats know this is her meal not theirs, so they don't even bother to wake up.

Then I go back to sleep.

Innova Evo is high in calories but they are known for recalls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top