U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:24 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,520,978 times

Advertisements

I am taking Charlie to have him groomed tomorrow. I have no idea how they are going to do it because he is a wild animal. I can usually cut his razor blades, oh, I mean claws, without much of a problem but not all at once. Usually a paw here or there.

I am just getting too many scratches from him. He doesn't do it on purpose be they are very sharp.

He also had long poofy fur on his tail and the back of his hind legs. He has not had a problem keeping things clean back there until he had those seizures. He has kept it clean, but got a few mats back there when he was sick.

I think what they are going to do is what is called a potty patch. That should be just fine.

They asked if I wanted him washed and blown out. That is my question. I really don't think he needs it but I am sure it wouldn't hurt. I feel a little bad over it because the poor thing had to be in the animal hospital overnight and all of that.

Wondering what you would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 01:43 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,409,771 times
Hmmm...if he goes absolutely nutz when you try to trim his nails or comb/brush him I think it will be worse when a stranger tries to do it to him. I'm worried he might get so upset that it might bring on another seizure - seriously. We have a bunch of kids who absolutely refuse to let me cut their toenails (they were hubbie's cats before I was in the picture - he never made them sit still for it) and all of my kids are used to it. The really bad ones I have done at the vet's office when I take them in for check-ups. For some reason they don't put up much of a fight - even Mabel is a little lady when she's there and she claws me bloody every time I get near her (after she hisses me out really well). If you would be able to brush his hind end - maybe a bit each day until the mats are gone, or if they are really bad cut them out (it'll grow back), until he gets back to grooming regularly it may suffice. Is he really stinky or is his hind end an absolute disaster zone right now? You and Jamie could get some old scissors and trim him up back there to help him keep himself clean - (I do it for Ralphie all the time. Ralphie has IBS and long hair which mats if you look at him too hard!!) I honestly don't think I would do it to him, at least now right now, so soon after his upset, but that's just me. I would want to just keep him calm. Besides, the sound of the dryer might freak him out, and when he comes home smelling like a rose, KK is gonna be all upset!! Up to you though, but I'd wait a while...stinky or not, he's still a little doll baby!!!

Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 PM

Well he isn't stinky and we did cut a mat out of his mane just under his chin. That is from where he freaked out the first time I tried to give him his medicine.

He usually gets them cut at the vet and he will let me do one at a time. I have been doing it since we got him.

Charlie just acts like he is wild. He attacks kitty all the time and runs through here like he is crazy. I thought once he was neutered and grew up a little he would calm down some but it has yet to happen. Kitty is so laid back and just sits there and loves to be groomed, Charlie attacks the brushes.

I think he does need a trim back there along with the mats because there is so much fur. I think he is more calm with strangers than with us when it comes to those type of things though.

I don't think he really needs to be washed.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:50 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,547,889 times
I think if it's bad enough, the potty patch might be worthwhile, but I wouldn't do the wash and blowout. Just the bare necessities and he can probably handle the rest. Poor little guy! I hope things go smoothly for him now.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:21 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,269,187 times
I agree, just let them deal with his bottom, don't have them wash and all that.

I've had a similar problem and it's been really disturbing and troubling. Nimbus gets wee mats under his armpits and bigger ones on his fluffly little bum. I have known for a while, we're gonna have to do something about this. I got a nice little Oster trimmer which is made for pet fur and is supposedly quieter than most clippers. I'm scared to use scissors, because he doesn't sit still and I'm scared I might hurt him. Cat skin is so thin and delicate, it's horribly easy to get a bit of skin with the fur without realizing it. These trimmers have a good little distance between the edges of the teeth and the blades, they also don't get hot easily.

I tried and tried for a while to get them with combs, brushes, "mat buster" combs, even an old pair of safety nail scissors...but it just wasn't getting the job done, so I figured OK we resort to clippers for this.

Well, I had my husband hold him still and tried, and I got ONE mat off his rear before he began to have a stress induced asthma attack. Shortly after that, I took him to the vet, and they gave him a steroid shot for his asthma. Since then he hasn't had an attack. But seriously, when I took him to the vet, he freaked SO BAD, he was terrified, he even peed on himself. Poor baby. I don't want to take him out of the house if I can avoid it. I think we're going to have to make another attempt with the clippers at home. While it's stressful, it's nowhere near as bad as going out elsewhere for my little fraidy cat.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:42 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,197,499 times
My old angora, Elsa, despised being brushed or combed. One attempt with the brush and you'd feel cat teeth in your wrist. She got those darn mats in her underarms and in her pantaloons.

So.......I'd have her lay across my lap with treats/catnip near her face... and she'd hold still for me.. while I worked on those mats. I'd break them up with my fingers nails, or if it was really dense, I'd use a toothpick to pick at them. Eventually, I'd get them the broken apart enough, where I could pick out the loose fur.

Charcoal, my present long haired boy, LOVES to be groomed and thank goodness for that! We just finished a little dry bath as he was getting a little stinky from grooming after drinking tuna juice.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:16 AM

Well we have gone and come back home. Charlie got all of his nails trimmed and he got a potty patch. He did great. I watched the whole time from a distance and was talking to the groomer.

It was really fast. He was afraid, of course, he probably felt like he was at the vet. She used a comb on him and it worked much better than the brush. I had never thought of that. He has so much fur.

At any rate, Not So Little Charlie did just fine. Ten bucks. I can handle that.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
have you tried the zoom groom on him. haven't found a cat yet who doesn't just love this.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:49 AM

2,050 posts, read 1,763,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
have you tried the zoom groom on him. haven't found a cat yet who doesn't just love this.
LOL, you haven't met our cats! All three of them dislike brushing, and I've tried six or more different brush types on them. :roll eyes:

To the OP: glad the experience was quick and successful.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:58 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,579,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
LOL, you haven't met our cats! All three of them dislike brushing, and I've tried six or more different brush types on them.
The Zoom Groom isn't a brush. It's more like a scrubber to remove loose hair. But it must also give a great massage because all my cats love to be scrubbed with it.

After a Zoom Groom scrub, I go over the cat with a comb and even more hair comes out. When all the loose hair is removed, the ZG won't pick up any more hair. But if I use a tool like the Furminator instead of the ZG, I always get the feeling that if I keep doing it it will eventually make the cat bald.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or