U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:43 PM

12,421 posts, read 2,793,958 times

Advertisements

We've always felt our neutered males were much more affectionate than our females. I have two who sleep with me every night. They both run upstairs and sit on the vanity while I brush my teeth, then get into bed when I do. One likes to keep his paw on my arm all night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,614,439 times
My former roommate loved cats, which was the reason he responded to my ad =) He was very disappointed to discover that Orion didn't care if he was around or not, he's a one person kitty. Joe and Scooter, who rejoined us about a year and a half ago after several years living away with my brother are more social with other people but still run to greet me when I return home. Scooter often waits on the enclosed porch and meow at me as I walk toward the building.

I had one cat that became so distressed when I walked the dog that I had to take her with me, she would yell so terribly that my landlord thought she was in pain. She yelled from the moment I left until I returned. My landlord told me I either did something about it or got rid of the cat! So, I let her go with me when I walked the dog and she was fine, she ran up and down the side walk and trees, keeping up with us as the dog did his business.

Recently a scientist trained dogs to allow MRI's of their brains while awake and have discovered that dogs have emotional responses like humans (no surprise to dog owners!) and I'm sure if we could manage to do the same with cats we'd find the same. The issue as I see it is that we cannot see the world from their perspective and lack understanding of their emotions and logic. They however have a good grasp of our emotions but I think our logic, such as it is, defies their comprehension (mine too most days, LOL)

Anyone who thinks cats do not have an emotional attachment to their human has never had the pleasure of having a cat for a friend.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:16 AM

112 posts, read 209,587 times
Edward looks like a very handsome cat and sounds very nice

And maybe I'm biased, but I tend to agree black & white tuxedos are the nicest cats ever My baby Bailey was every bit my baby.... he was a chubster with extra toes and some maine coon in him I think. He was very attached to me and only me.... he wasn't unfriendly, but he was scared and not interested really in anyone else. He tolerated my husband, coming to somewhat like him a bit towards the end. But me he followed around like a puppy! I felt like we had such a connection.... if my husband asked him to do something (get down, hop up...) he wouldn't do it until he looked at me and I told him to do it And even though he himself wasn't feeling well for a period and wouldn't hop up on things anymore, when I got really sick one time, he hopped up and spent the whole time literally on top of me and hopping up and down everytime I got up or down. I love him and miss him dearly!!!!

Now, I recently adopted a grey and white boy... mostly because I fell for him the shelter as he reminded me so much of my Bailey (rolling over for belly rubs and kneading away! just like Bailey always did). But he has turned out to be quite the rascal! Still cute and friendly, but a cute and friendly rascal

We had a tan colored cat that I had no connection to, but this cat was very connected to my husband. For instance, no one could pick this cat up except for him and he'd always sit on his lap! My current orangey-tan cat isn't really attached to one of us more than the other, but he absolutely loves and needs to be around us.

People (in general) tend to have the attitude that cats don't like or care about people and there's no connection like there is with dogs... but I strongly disagree! I think it just depends on the cat and person!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:32 AM

580 posts, read 1,143,911 times
I have not enjoyed the posts and videos talking about cats thinking humans are jerks, stupid and that humans are simply a vehicle to be used when needed. It was causing me to look at my girls a little differently because they are aloof, they frequently do not want to be petted, they do groom themselves after being hugged and the thought that they do it to get rid of my smell kind of hurts, etc etc etc. But this morning my little girl sat on my dresser and watched me get ready for work and purred and wanted to be petted and kissed and I snapped back into reality that cats do love their owners, they may show it in different ways, but our girls sit in the windows watching for us to come up the driveway, visit at night, sleep on our heads, lick our skin raw [they're grooming me according to ways cats show affection which is fine] and play tricks on us, I love my cats and they keep me going, they are the first ones I go to when I get home, then the humans if I feel like it.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 AM

9,871 posts, read 6,328,413 times
I don't know...those sites and posts about cats being "jerks" and all, they don't bug me. I take it as humor. I feel like a cat isn't a pet for someone who needs an animal to prop their ego with utter worship and all...sure, some cats are super affectionate like that, but if you really need that sort of thing, that's what dogs are for. We MADE them for that (among other reasons of course.) Cats on the other hand, have not had every ounce of "wild" bred and conditioned out of them.

I adore even the most stand offish cat, because there is that thing where it's like the tiny diminutive incompetant villain in a cartoon, with a total Napoleon complex, he wants to kill us all and despite all his plotting and scheming, he'll probably never pull it off. But you can't tell him that. That's funny, ya know? Fierce little fuzzballs.

My cat will give us a certain ration of snuggles and purrs, but within minutes he's like, "I gotta go. Cat stuff to do! Later!" and often enough if we try to pet him and he's not in the mood for that, he'll dash off with an attitude like "DO NOT TOUCH MY FUR!" It's cool, we love him for who he is! And we know he loves us back even if he only shows it when he feels like it. He definitely has a different relationship with "his" people than with strangers. He hides from strangers. And that right there is a big part of the cat thing, it's an honor when they trust you, you've got to earn that and deserve it, it's a bit like having a wild creature that will allow you to get close, touch it, or interact with it...

Old 01-16-2014, 10:12 AM

7,666 posts, read 5,147,381 times
There's no doubt, in my mind anyway, that cats bond to and feel affection for their humans. What I witnessed when my passed away proved it to me. For a week or two after she passed nearly all of our 7 cats were very reserved and inactive. They would eat, use the litter box, etc., but didn't come around for pets or lap time much, which wasn't like them at all. One cat in particular was very affected by my wife's absence. Gypsy was her cat and constantly craved attention from her. Their bond was very strong, and when my wife passed Gypsy pretty much shut down for several days. She ate very little and secluded herself up in one of the lofts and hid. No doubt in my mind she was in a depression of sorts. She eventually recovered and started coming to me for affection, and soon was bonded to me as much as she had been to my wife.
The best description I can think of for my cats at that time would be 'grieving', and that wouldn't happen if there wasn't love and affection for their humans. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:16 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,365,975 times
I know our cats are attached to us. Phaedra adores my husband but when hungry comes to me. She sits in his lap for hours. She never sits in mine. Zebulon will rub on my husband's leg for a few pats on the head and back, but that's about it. He's not a very affectionate cat. At night he'll come for his attention. He'll lay on my stomach purring as he's petted while I read in bed. He never does this with my husband. Zephyr seems to like us equally but comes to me more for attention. And Callie.... she's the youngest at 1.5 years old, is the most dependent and attached. She likes the other cats but wants to be where I am most of the time. She ignores my husband as though he isn't here. When it's feeding time they all gather around me and STARE.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:14 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,962,531 times
Weasie was always very affectionate - when it suited her. Sometimes she'd run to meet me at the door. Other times it was more like, "Oh, it's you" before returning to a nap. After nearly every vacation I took, once a cursory greeting was offered it was time to go outside and "give Daddy a taste of his own medicine" - disappear for as long as a day. I suppose that was her way of communicating that she missed me and wanted me to appreciate how that felt. But there was one memorable exception. Normally I only go out of town for a week at most. In 2004, however, I left the country and was gone for closer to two. When I walked in the house Weasie loudly awaited with enthused rubbings around my ankles. At that moment what was foremost in my mind was dropping my bags and crashing on the sofa to sleep off some jet lag. As soon as I'd laid down on my back, she leaped onto my stomach and curled up with her purr motor going full blast.

Blaliko and Seteria are a great deal more reserved, seeing as how B was a rescued stray and S was born and lived for two months outdoors. Neither are much for purring, either, Seteria in particular. Upon being let in they generally head right for their water and food bowls. But - again, when it suits them - they're good for some snuggly lap time.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:25 PM

580 posts, read 1,143,911 times
When my partner was hospitalized for 6 weeks, our feral Smoke laid on the bed and didn't move for 6 weeks, she was depressed. I had to roust her out and make her walk around, I was worried she would get a UTI or blood clot or something horrible from that much inactivity, just like humans do. I had to work so I worried about her everyday and I'd get home and she wouldn't even raise her head and open her eyes. When all was well and everyone was home, Smoke was her old self again and I hadn't thought about this until I read the other post about a family member passing and the cats grieving. Smoke will have nothing to do with me, and didn't during those 6 weeks, and still doesn't but I love her anyway for reasons already posted by others.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:44 PM

15,561 posts, read 29,309,085 times
We inherited Leo, my mother's cat, when she died. It was clear that he missed her for a very long time. It wasn't until just this year, almost three years later that he began to show us true affection. Even so, I think there are times when he misses her. He just acts differently.

My cat Nimmy is mentally challenged. Yes, I know he loves me but he is not an overly affectionate cat. Then there is Norvell, who really would love anyone. He's just one of those cats that cannot get enough love and affection.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or