Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 09:37 AM

532 posts, read 1,063,269 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUkdhzXjv1U

I know my cat (Edward) loves me; you can see it in his face. I teach in my home and he stays in the back of the house when I teach. When I'm finished teaching and open the house back up again, he always snuggles up to me for reassurance. He's a very loving, sweet, gentle (but enormous) black-and-white male. The look on his face is pure love.

Edward. His fur is *so* soft. I'm never lonely because he follows me around like a puppy, every room I go to. He also recognizes a lot of words and tones of voice. Very smart cat, very gentle with fosters when I have them, too. A cat with good character.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 09:45 AM

532 posts, read 1,063,269 times
I'm reading this wonderful book, Cat Sense by John Bradshaw. It's available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle versions. It's the best book, based on factual research on domesticated and feral cats, I've ever read. I highly recommend it. I don't really understand all the science, but it looks pretty good to me. Helps me understand why my Edward is so gentle and sweet and agreeable. He must have been brought up by humans. How he got out, or was dumped, and ended up scavaging in the dumpster of a pizza place, I will never know. But my friend saw him there, opened her car door and said "kitty, kitty" -- and he jumped right in the car and went home with her.

She already had too many pets and kids, so I got him. That was my lucky day. My prior cat, Annie, had died of a tumor and I had been fostering cats until I could find one that chose me...he was so good to all the other cats. He even got out once (two years ago, in the snow!!), but he came home, and I picked him up and hugged him and he accepted me as his new mommy. Lucky me!!!

I couldn't deal with a cat that was mean, or who scratched or bit; I have too many children here. And I'm too sensitive and easily upset, as well. So he's perfect.

But I'm not the only one who loves cats on this forum; anybody else ever heard that black-and-whites were good and gentle? I don't think the fur color signifies anything, but I don't know...????

Old 01-15-2014, 12:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
It makes me sad they cry for over 30 minutes after we leave. Bobbles cries when someone leaves the house. When my husband takes the dog outside, she wails until she hears me call her name. It's like she's relieved to discover I'm still in the house and she's not alone.

She's not very interested in her resources. She doesn't eat right away when I feed her. She is most interested in getting affection---on her terms, when she wants it, how she wants it. Sometimes it's constant and she's is sitting on me or next to me almost all day long.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:35 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,723,976 times
I know my current kitty is very attached to me. She likes other people, but I'm "her person". She follows me around, always has to be in contact with me (on my lap, perched on my shoulder, curled up next to me). She even sleeps on my pillow, with her cheek resting against mine.

When I'm sick, she gets upset and tries to take care of me. When I come home, she runs to great me, chirping like a toddler on speed, telling me all about her day.

I've had other cats who were perfectly lovely, but who were not as attached to me.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:29 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,506,834 times
Ours act indifferent, until we have been gone and return home. Then it is very clear that we are their people.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:25 PM

729 posts, read 1,306,154 times
We have two neutered male Maine Coon boys who are the most loving and attached cats I've ever been owned by. When we got them (different breeders but the same age) 8 years ago, both breeders said that neutered males make the best pets. I was a bit skeptical, but trusted their advice. I can honestly say they are the best cats I've ever had (and I've had cats all my life, as has my husband). They sleep with us, sit on the couch with us, follow us around talking to us. They are waiting at the door when I come home from work (just like dogs). I believe Maine Coons are called "the dog lover's cats" because they are like small dogs (and trainable). One of my boys is 25# (he's biiiig not fat), the other is 13#. We love them to death and that love is returned 100fold by them. They're Zeke and Zak!

Old 01-15-2014, 06:47 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,693,310 times
Cats do form very strong attachments to one person or another. Lucky is my cat, no question about it. He is extremely jealous if I play with one of the other two and he is constantly by my side, or sleeping on my lap. He is my buddy.

Chewy is definitely my Son's cat. While he loves me, he is crazy about my Son and every night he waits on the lanai and when he sees him come home from work he runs in through the pet door and jumps up on the counter to greet him. Chewy can be napping with me but as soon as my Son gets home I am just a substitute and he runs to him. My Son had him before we moved in together and Chewy has always been very loyal to him.

Daisy is pretty independent. She is a little aloof and isn't really a lap cat, but will honor us with her attention when she feels like it (Tortitude, I guess). Second thought, maybe Daisy does love me. She just dropped a dead lizard at my feet that she caught on the lanai.

Don

Last edited by don1945; 01-15-2014 at 07:19 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 PM

537 posts, read 1,233,620 times
Dippy always follows me around in the morning when I get ready for work and meows almost in conversation as I talk to him about what he's going to do all day. Sometimes in the middle of the night, he'll sit on the bed waiting for us to wake up. If I'm awake, I'll whisper his name, and he'll immediately start purring. One time, my boyfriend said he was sulking after I left to go to work.

Niko has the cutest little meows she does when I call her, and she sits on my shoulder when I'm preparing food or cleaning. She likes to sleep right on top of me at night. When I change a position, she automatically gets back on and goes right back to sleep. She also rolls around the bed or couch for me to pet her when I get home from work. It's so adorable!

Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,203,487 times
I have always found tuxedo cats to be intuitive and highly intelligent cats. I have rescued two, both were feral...or street cats, and they wanted human companionship. No biting, or any behavior problems. Both seemed to have extreme gratitude for being rescued. Well behaved, and immaculate. Boots went to live with my Grandparents, Cookie went to live with some friends. And they lived long, happy lives.

As for how attached cats are to their owners...I had a cat, Beau, he was a Siamese Tabby mix, he bonded to my daughter, and watched over her. He knew she needed special care, he made it his job to always be by her side. It was amazing. I tear up, just thinking about it. He was always calm, even when she jerked her hand while petting him. He did not mind the oxygen tubes, or tanks. He was a special cat. He seemed to supervise the nurses and OT, PT who came to the house to work with her. Our family came together when he died, we all cried, and cried. It was a huge out pouring of communal grief...

Jasper, he follows me around the house, right here, where ever I am...always...

Old 01-15-2014, 08:36 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,244,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
I'm reading this wonderful book, Cat Sense by John Bradshaw. It's available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle versions. It's the best book, based on factual research on domesticated and feral cats, I've ever read. I highly recommend it. I don't really understand all the science, but it looks pretty good to me. Helps me understand why my Edward is so gentle and sweet and agreeable. He must have been brought up by humans. How he got out, or was dumped, and ended up scavaging in the dumpster of a pizza place, I will never know. But my friend saw him there, opened her car door and said "kitty, kitty" -- and he jumped right in the car and went home with her.

She already had too many pets and kids, so I got him. That was my lucky day. My prior cat, Annie, had died of a tumor and I had been fostering cats until I could find one that chose me...he was so good to all the other cats. He even got out once (two years ago, in the snow!!), but he came home, and I picked him up and hugged him and he accepted me as his new mommy. Lucky me!!!

I couldn't deal with a cat that was mean, or who scratched or bit; I have too many children here. And I'm too sensitive and easily upset, as well. So he's perfect.

But I'm not the only one who loves cats on this forum; anybody else ever heard that black-and-whites were good and gentle? I don't think the fur color signifies anything, but I don't know...????
When I met my wife in the late 80's, she had a white w/black patch male cat named Bo. He was a super sweet guy and an all around gentle soul. He wasn't much on being handled, but did enjoy being petted. His favorite thing though was just to lay next to you, wherever that was. My wife was his significant human for sure (he followed her everywhere), but he eventually accepted me as a friend as well. He was special, and it broke my wife's heart when he passed away in 1999.
He didn't have quite as much black on him as Edward does, who is quite handsome btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats