U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:11 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,100,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Really, the one thing that remains a huge mystery to me and I would love to know...WHY do they stare at a random fixed point on the wall or ceiling or in space when there is NOTHING THERE.
This is partly why it seems there is nothing going on in their heads!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 12:11 PM

369 posts, read 561,410 times
I wonder the same things. When I look at the photo gallery on my phone and realize I've taken over 50 pics just of them sleeping, I can't explain it. They just look so precious when they're asleep! I can sometimes tell what Neptune is thinking by his body language. If he's sitting on my lap and looking up at my face, then turns his head to the side slightly, I know he's about to grab at my glasses. When I'm standing and he jumps at my legs he wants to be held. If I'm sitting on the couch and he sits next to the coffee table and looks at me, he wants me to get out the laser pointer. In that situation if I try to pet him he shies away and I know he's thinking "No, Mom, I want to play!" And when Toby comes in from being outside and Neptune gets so excited jumping on him and licking him, I know he's thinking "Toby!!!!!! I missed you much! You're back! Yay!!!!!" while Toby is thinking "Dude, get off of me, I'm trying to eat". But Toby is much more of a mystery. He's so still and quiet most of the time, I have no clue what he's thinking about.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:53 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,571,783 times
I've seen my youngest watching a bug on the wall, and then staring at that same area the next day, as if it would come back. So there might have been a reason to look at the wall earlier, and you just didn't see it. Also, he sometimes stares at a tiny, almost unnoticeable, mark as if it might be a bug. He's a little obsessed with bugs lol.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
He's a little obsessed with bugs lol.
Aren't they all?!?!? LOL

I'm so glad to have a professional stink bug killer in the house. She's definitely earning her keep.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:50 PM

9,824 posts, read 6,301,009 times
Nimbus is most expressive with his tail. There are times, after I've ruffled his fur (against his will) and then released him, he flicks it about in what I'm pretty sure are some sort of obscene gestures. It's like he's cussing me out. In tail sign language.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:48 PM

31,223 posts, read 57,391,367 times
Quote:
Really, the one thing that remains a huge mystery to me and I would love to know...WHY do they stare at a random fixed point on the wall or ceiling or in space when there is NOTHING THERE.
The second mystery is why they continuously sniff each others' butts.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The second mystery is why they continuously sniff each others' butts.
Do they? My Persians didn't. That's the only time I've had two cats.

Maybe your cats are part dog!

Old 01-16-2014, 04:55 PM

11,743 posts, read 16,486,419 times
Quote:
Nimbus is most expressive with his tail. There are times, after I've ruffled his fur (against his will) and then released him, he flicks it about in what I'm pretty sure are some sort of obscene gestures. It's like he's cussing me out. In tail sign language.
Well, you can always wiggle your derrier at him:>)

Old 01-16-2014, 05:33 PM

6,733 posts, read 11,769,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

My kitties constantly sniff each others' butts, even when I politely ask them not to do that in my presence.

Hopes, do you have any photos of Bobbles?

Old 01-16-2014, 06:04 PM

9,918 posts, read 19,712,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Mine do. We read that's normal but I don't remember why if it said. They're sniffing the anal glands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or