U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 05:36 PM

9,918 posts, read 19,844,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Considering a lot of the worst criminals start out torturing animals before they get big enough to do to humans whatever lands them in jail, no, this is not a good idea. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.
There are a whole lot of people in prison (a majority, most likely) who didn't do anything physical or emotional to people (or animals) to get there.

Perhaps we could argue over the variations of what constitutes physical or emotional harm, but I really don't like seeing a potentially good idea dismissed because people are not well informed. Understanding that not everyone in prison is a menace to society would be a good start.

It is your bubble that needs bursting, that one where you are sure everyone in prison is BAD and incapable of responding to rehabilitation. There are too many people in that bubble....

Last edited by greg42; 01-25-2014 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Ugh, nasty autocorrect typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 06:11 PM

7,825 posts, read 5,232,524 times
Quote:
Considering a lot of the worst criminals start out torturing animals before they get big enough to do to humans whatever lands them in jail, no, this is not a good idea. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.
You seem to putting most prison inmates into this category, which I don't believe to be the case at all. If you look at statistics for the current US prison population today, I think you'll find that a large portion are there for drug related offenses and/or property crimes. There are many crimes that will land you in prison that don't involve violence or physical harm to other people. I think it's wrong to assume that anyone that's incarcerated is automatically a violent felon.
I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that these animal/rehab programs now going on are available to serial killers, murderers, or others convicted of violent crimes. The inmates selected for these programs are most likely carefully screened. To not do so would jeopardize the success of the program.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:24 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,464,568 times
Thank you both for trying to exagerate my response as an attempt to state every possibility. Some criminals are indeed violent to animals. Some do indeed have no ability to rehabilitate themselves or to be rehabilitated by others. That's life. Sorry if it doesn't match up to what you WANT to believe.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:25 PM

9,918 posts, read 19,844,631 times
Quote:
Thank you both for trying to exagerate my response as an attempt to state every possibility. Some criminals are indeed violent to animals. Some do indeed have no ability to rehabilitate themselves or to be rehabilitated by others. That's life. Sorry if it doesn't match up to what you WANT to believe.
Heh. Really.

I try not to BELIEVE anything. I prefer to deal with more solid evidence than that. Indeed, it is true, some people will likely prove to have no ability to be rehabilitated. I don't think I suggested otherwise. I certainly don't believe otherwise.

But your response was thus that you would deny this possibility to the entire prison population, the majority of whom (note: majority, which isn't necessarily most but anything more than half, should be a safe bet given how many minor drug offenders we have in prison on 3 strikes and so forth, but admittedly I have not looked up stats) would benefit from such a thing.

Have I misinterpreted your stance? Do you not actually prefer to deny it to all prisoners because some of them will prove unable to be rehabilitated?

It seems what you want to believe is that the system is perfect and everyone in prison is there for a damn good reason? That is definitely a bubble. I can point you to any number of cases, if you like, although it's not how I would prefer to spend my time. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you're not in that bubble, but your remarks gave that appearance.

I mean, even if we ignore all that, many prisoners will eventually get out. That is 100% no disputing fact. They will get out, at the end of their sentence, or on parole. Since they're going to get out, wouldn't it be better for all the rest of us if we tried more things to make sure they don't become a repeat offender? The idea is to actually have, you know, less crime, not just punishment. Prisons are a big waste of money, much better to have fewer prisoners if at all possible. (The other thing that would help that is education, but nobody wants to spend money on that either.)

And not to mention the aspect of promoting better behavior while in prison. That's pretty important too.

Just because this program sounds "soft on criminals" or whatever it is that really offends you so much about it, doesn't mean we're all in a bubble. I'm not buying that it's all about some criminals were violent to animals. If that's the case, we should just ban pets in the first place right? A lot more violence to animals will continue to happen OUTSIDE prison even if you let every prisoner in the country do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or