Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Hubby and Bobbes were playing with her favorite toy. My husband noticed blood all over the carpet. Lots of blood. We inspected her and her back paw is all bloody. Her outside claw is turned sideways. I can't find her claw clippers to take the tip off of it. She seems to be fine enough. She cleaned it up and is walking around fine. I'm not sure what to do. If it was my dog, I wouldn't worry and I'd just wait to see if it healed, but I thought I'd check with the cat people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 11:50 AM

369 posts, read 759,513 times
Oh no! I have no experience with that in cats, hopefully someone else does, but it did happen to my hamster once. She had been running around in her exercise ball and when I picked it up to take her out, I saw bloody foot prints all over it. One of her toes was bloody around the base of the claw. I didn't know what to do either, hamsters are way too wiggly to try to clip their claws. But she didn't seem bothered by it and was walking normally so I let it go and it healed fine. It's so scary when our furkids are bleeding and we don't know what happened

Old 01-17-2014, 11:56 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
I would have already called my vet and have my dog or cat on the way. There's always a worry about infection but they know how to handle these things, usually by taping them.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:23 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
I have several cats who have had their claws pulled out from getting them stuck in trees while they were trying to climb down.

When it happened to Kitty, I didn't know about it until it became infected. The vet wanted to do a standard declaw of that toe, but I told him what I wanted them to do was just clean it and give Kitty some antibiotics. They did that and put a nice bandage on his foot. The bandage lasted about ten minutes before he pulled it off, but the antibiotics took care of the infection and the claw grew back in in a few weeks.

Frankie got a bloody foot from loosing a claw that got stuck in the rug by the kitty door. I think it was my fault. I was closing up the door and Frankie jumped up to go out at the same time and his claw got stuck when I tried to grab him. I cleaned him up with anti-bacterial soap and treated it with Providone Iodine. He didn't need any antibiotics because he didn't get infected. A couple of weeks and he was fine.

Recently Little Guy and Junior had a serious tiff. LG ran up a tree and sustained several claw injuries coming back down. The claw on the side of his front foot was pulled out, and a couple of other claws were bleeding. I washed the wounds with soap and treated them with the P-Iodine. The claw that was ripped out is coming back and the ones that were bleeding are as good as new.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:28 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
If you can't find cat claw clippers you can use your own clippers to gently clip the tip of the claw off. Chances are it'll be ok - but if it's sticking out at an odd angle she may catch it on something else or she may also chew on it herself and end up getting it infected. Since it's the weekend, it may not be a bad idea to check in with the vet really quick and see what they say - I would hate to have something happen over the weekend and it either cost an arm and a leg, or for her to be hurting. Stuff happens - don't put anything like Neosporin on it though because she'll just lick it off. Hope she's ok though.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the responses. We got it cleaned up and the tip is at least cut off.

I know all about doggie first aid. I need to study up on kitty first aid.

This looks like great information. How to Treat a Torn Cat Nail - Pets Adviser

Sorry, Happy in Wyoming, I wouldn't take a child to the doctor for a bloody toenail so I'm not running to the vet just yet.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:17 PM

63 posts, read 89,408 times
Go to the vet!

Old 01-17-2014, 02:18 PM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I don't think I'd immediately rush to the vet either if she doesn't seem to be in pain or limping and the damage seems to be confined to the nail and not further up into the toe or foot. However, what I'd do just to be prepared in case the situation worsens, if you haven't already done this at any point, is I'd look on Google and see if you can identify any emergency vets in your area that are open over the weekend, and just jot down the address or something. So that way if things got worse and you decided you had to go...you'd have that option. Possibly even phone her vet and tell them that you are pretty sure you can handle it, but ask if they have a way they can be contacted if there is an emergency during the hours they are closed (that is, if there are no 24 hour vet ER's near you.) All just as a precaution.

The big difference between a child injury and a cat injury of course being that the child can usually be effectively Neosporined and bandaged...and won't lick its behind and then its wound. Things are a trifle more complicated with a pet.

Hope it heals clean and she is OK. Best wishes!

Old 01-17-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfloyd View Post
Go to the vet!
No!

Old 01-17-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfloyd View Post
is I'd look on Google and see if you can identify any emergency vets in your area that are open over the weekend, and just jot down the address or something. So that way if things got worse and you decided you had to go...you'd have that option. Possibly even phone her vet and tell them that you are pretty sure you can handle it, but ask if they have a way they can be contacted if there is an emergency during the hours they are closed (that is, if there are no 24 hour vet ER's near you.) All just as a precaution.
Our regular vet is a 24 hour vet hospital. They told me I'm handling it appropriately.

I was just freaked out when I started the thread shortly after the traumatic event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats