Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:55 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times

Advertisements

Every thing was fine and he did really good. I noticed a limp in him last night and I told the nurse about it but I don't think the dr checked it and I got into a different convo with her and that was that.

We got home and Charlie acted like a crazy wild animal. He doesn't recognize kitty and all of Charlie's fur was standing on end and his back was arched and he yowled like nothing I have ever heard from him.

I always thought it would be the other way around. I always thought Kitty would freak out when we brought Charlie home but as many times as we have had to take Charlie, KK has never had a problem.

Now that I am back home I see that KK def has a limp and I have no idea what it could be from. I checked his claws on his hind legs and they seemed fine. KK has no front claws, unfortunately. His previous owners had him declawed.

He did a small meow when I touched one foot but not the other. I guess I will keep an eye on him and see.

What do you all think? Should I do more than keep an eye on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 11:28 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
I think keeping an eye on it should be fine for now. If it gets worse or lasts more than a couple of days, I'd call the vet. Of course that might mean putting the vet stink back on him just as Charlie's getting used to him again! But hopefully he just twisted it a little and it will be fine.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:13 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Same advice here. Watch him for a few days and see if it clears up on its own. My youngest female Sheba injured her right hip when she was 6 mo old (vet said partial dislocation). She recovered ok from that, but in recent years (she's almost 9 now) I've noticed her limping just a little on rare occasions, but usually doesn't last more than a day or so. This past December she was limping pretty bad and wouldn't let me touch her, so I knew she was hurting pretty bad. Took her to the vet and considering her old injury, he thought maybe arthritis setting in or degenerative joint disease (?). We put her on a supplement (Vetoquinol Osteo-3 Joint & Hip Gel) to mix in her food. He said if she didn't improve to bring her back for an x-ray for a better look. After 4 or 5 days on the supplement her pain & limp was completely gone and she was acting her old self. I'm keeping her on the supplement for a while and my vet thought that was good idea. I don't know if she has arthritis/joint disease or not. It's possible she has a bit of joint damage in that hip and just aggravated it.
KK may have just a mild sprain and will be fine in few days. If not, you want to think about a joint supplement. I know they work... at least in my case anyway.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:00 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Pik, I agree with the others ... every once in a while one of my kitties will have a limp but it has always gone away within a couple of days. Sometimes they just hurt themselves by being little wild kitties!!

Also, my kitties always are bothered by the scent of their siblings who have just been at the vet ... that, too, usually goes away, usually within a few hours.

(And while I'm here, might I request more photos? I could always use a Kitty Katty/Charlie fix! )

Old 02-15-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Pik, I agree with the others ... every once in a while one of my kitties will have a limp but it has always gone away within a couple of days. Sometimes they just hurt themselves by being little wild kitties!!

Also, my kitties always are bothered by the scent of their siblings who have just been at the vet ... that, too, usually goes away, usually within a few hours.

(And while I'm here, might I request more photos? I could always use a Kitty Katty/Charlie fix! )
LOL... I will have to work on that after a while...

I guess I am a total spaz when it comes to my babies. I thought I noticed a limp with him last night but I wasn't sure because I only say about 4 steps.

Then today I saw him walk across the room so I was positive.

I will keep an eye on him the next few days. We just got home so I don't know if Charlie is ok with him yet. I do know that they were not together when we got home.

Charlie came to the back door and I am about to go check on my KK...

Old 02-15-2014, 01:35 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Every thing was fine and he did really good. I noticed a limp in him last night and I told the nurse about it but I don't think the dr checked it and I got into a different convo with her and that was that.

We got home and Charlie acted like a crazy wild animal. He doesn't recognize kitty and all of Charlie's fur was standing on end and his back was arched and he yowled like nothing I have ever heard from him.

I always thought it would be the other way around. I always thought Kitty would freak out when we brought Charlie home but as many times as we have had to take Charlie, KK has never had a problem.

Now that I am back home I see that KK def has a limp and I have no idea what it could be from. I checked his claws on his hind legs and they seemed fine. KK has no front claws, unfortunately. His previous owners had him declawed.

He did a small meow when I touched one foot but not the other. I guess I will keep an eye on him and see.

What do you all think? Should I do more than keep an eye on it?

Watch the limp but as far as Charlie not knowing the other one. Our girls are always like that when they get home from the vet.
It is because they smell all of the other animals on the one who went first, they get over it quickly.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:26 PM

No Mommy!!! You can't leave!!!! I have your purse. You can go nowhere!

Old 02-15-2014, 05:48 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post

No Mommy!!! You can't leave!!!! I have your purse. You can go nowhere!
lol, great photo!

Old 02-15-2014, 07:06 PM

Well it's kittys right front paw, and he doesn't want to put weight on it.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:01 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
Hi Pik, I just tuned in here and saw this. Hmmm....maybe he jumped and landed a bit wrong, perhaps twisted a bit when he landed (has he been watching the Olympics by any chance?). My Ralphie does the same thing periodically, but he's getting kinda old, and he's a bit overweight so I think it's a joint thing, or sometimes a toenail that needs trimming. But you said KK has no front toenails, so it can't be that. Have you checked between his toes and his paw-pads, maybe a piece of litter stuck into the soft flesh and rubbing the wrong way? Or maybe he has stepped on something however tiny and gotten even a teeny tiny little cut and it's tender and sore (they're really hard to see on black feet). Maybe stepped on something in the basement, or something in the computer room on the floor? Just thinking out loud here - yes, definitely, if it continues I would have him checked out. I sure hope it's nothing at all, but nothing bad if there is a problem. Charlie is no doubt reacting to the smell - his memory of where he's been recently is still fresh in his mind. I read this years ago and it does work - make them smell alike and they won't fight like that. I have used catnip to good effect that way, and I have also taken a towel and sprayed it lightly with a very light body spray (I have some lavender stuff I use after a shower sometimes - it's not real good perfume mind you - just a light spray) and rub it over each of them. They will smell the same - and Charlie should calm down immediately. Poor Kitty Katty - he just needs to come live with me if his brother is gonna beat on him like that!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats