U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:01 PM

325 posts, read 728,141 times

Advertisements

All three of mine do that. The sound used to be a unnerving as it the pitch is akin to another human in distress. But for them, it means something completely different like fun and joy. Once I realized that, I trained myself to hear it as their expression of enjoying themselves. I now find it cute and strangely comforting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 11:05 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Blaliko was never much for toys, but Seteria - as she nears her estimated second birthday - enjoys a good play session from time to time. Neither do any vocalizing with inanimate objects, though. With captured prey it's a different story. Then the cries of "Come quick, see what I got!" resound all through the house.

Only once in her 19 1/2 years did Weasie ever draw attention to a toy or live creature she'd captured. She and I were passing an evening on the front stoop during the summer of 1996 when new neighbors arrived. While the "getting to know you" conversation unfolded she quietly excused herself. Minutes later, the peace of the block was shattered by loud meows and the squawked distress calls of a bird. Weasie came trotting up with a freshly caught English sparrow in her mouth. The wife of the couple SCREAMED and took off running down the sidewalk halfway to the corner. Only for a few seconds was the cat taken aback - she then headed for the back yard to "finish the job" and enjoy a snack. When everything had calmed down I told the people that they were being complimented by Weeze's having made a fresh kill for them - "...and delivering it still alive is even more flattering." They weren't exactly buying it. But it's true what they say about felines' knowing humans' character. To this day that couple are some of my favorite neighbors.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:06 PM

297 posts, read 630,838 times
One of my cats does this too. She usually does it right after I go to bed and she often walks around making a weird muleling noise, with or w/o the toy. My friend who fostered her when she had kittens said she was counting her babies. I think its related to the hunting thing where she wants to find me or her babies to bring us her "catch".

Old 02-17-2014, 07:20 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,547,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlina26 View Post
She has a long tail but most of the time it's just out of reach, especially while spinning. She'll spin round and round in circles while yelling at it as loud as she can. (My thinking-if you really want to catch your own tail, stop moving and it'll stop! lol I think she just likes that it's a constantly moving target.) She does it at least 5 nights a week and no matter how much I play with her before bed, she'll still do it. I've tried catching a video of her but as soon as I get up, she stops. Sometimes she even gets on her mom's nerves (she's about 5 yrs and I have her mom who's about 6). Her momma will start chasing her to make her be quiet. So while I'm trying to fall asleep, I have one who's screaming at her own tail, another chasing the first one which of course means jumping on me in the process, a 6 month old male kitten who lives for the chase/tackle and gets involved, and then a lazy male cat who stares at ceilings and makes me think there are bugs. Add to that a snoring hubby because he has no problems falling asleep no matter how much noise there is. But despite all the racket, I wouldn't trade hubby or the furbabies (they are my kids, not just pets) for anything!
If you ever do get a video of this, we really, really need to see it!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 AM

2,050 posts, read 1,763,717 times
Our Tucker does this with a particular yarn ball toy. He carries it around the house yowling and making all sorts of interesting noises. I just let him do it. :-)

Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 AM

511 posts, read 690,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We don't have a "furkid" but we do have two cats and both of them (girls) are quite vocal normally and moreso when playing with the stuffed mice all over the house.
I just said "furkid" because he has fur and he is our kid.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Perfectly normal feline behavior. I call it singing, not screaming. I have two currently who do it, and several who are already Bridge Angels who did it. One didn't start doing it until she was 8 years old. I love it.

Please don't take his favorite toy away from him. That's just mean. In fact, I would think you would go out of your way to ensure it is always available to him!
Singing? Ours sounds very distressed and like he is very unhappy. I took it away and he isn't looking for it yet. We are all more at peace now including him. If he really missed it,I would give it back.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlina26 View Post
One of my girls does that sometimes. She loves those fuzzy mice and will carry one around and make a low meow while it's in her mouth. That doesn't really bother me. It's the toy at night that she screams at while chasing. Can't take it away though. It's her own tail! She'll chase her tail on and off for about 30 minutes and complain when she can't catch it. Finally wears herself out and goes to sleep.
Too funny! Ours chases his tail sometimes too,but doesn't scream at it.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:46 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,547,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
Singing? Ours sounds very distressed and like he is very unhappy. I took it away and he isn't looking for it yet. We are all more at peace now including him. If he really missed it,I would give it back.
It is a sort of mournful sounding yowl they make, but I don't think it means they're sad. It's instinctive behavior, and some cats obviously feel the need to do it. I wouldn't take my boy's favorite mouse away.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 AM

5,876 posts, read 11,745,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
Yes, singing. Your interpretation of the sounds is from a human perspective. He's not mournful, he's happy. Regardless of what it sounds like, it is something he enjoys doing. Why would you deprive him of that?

Poor, thing! I hope he finds a new toy to do it with soon. Will you take away all his toys then?

One of my cats has two different toys she uses, a plastic cap (well several of them) and an old cloth placemat. Another only has one special toy.

My most recent Bridge Angel boy had a special fur mouse he used, and another kitty, long long ago used to use one of my slippers.

A cat from my childhood had a special sock of my brother's. My brother would keep it in his sock drawer, and leave the drawer open for her so she had the pleasure of hunting for it before carrying it around the house making her "mournful" sounds.

Another Bridge Angel girl used to do it with her crumpled cigarette packs. I gave up smoking years ago, but I kept the crumpled packs for her, because they were her special yeowling toys. She kept them in the toy box and fished one out when she wanted to play.I used to call it, when she did it, her 'dying goose sound". Now I cal it singing, because they are so happy when they are doing it, no matter what it sounds like.

All of these cats had/have special places they like the toys kept when they are not playing with them.

Aw, please, give him back his toy. It's his Game. You should not take that away from him.

Last edited by catsmom21; 02-17-2014 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or