U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:26 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,243,626 times

Advertisements

Well, thanks to CatsMom I am now a member of the Facebook Raw Food for IBD cats group (a closed group) and the Cats Site and I am about to make a huge change, but gradually.

I will be feeding raw to my cats. The outside ones, too, as much as is feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 10:00 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,449,173 times
I've been thinking about this recently. What did cats eats before commercial cat food? Scraps and what they could catch?

Old 03-05-2014, 04:59 AM

47 posts, read 65,172 times
This might not be a bad idea. A lot of needless filler is put in commercial cat food(and canned food always has that chemical leaching risk, too). There's a man who has had two cats that supposedly lived into their 30s, and he fed them "alternative" foods like broccoli, eggs, bacon, and even coffee. Raw food retains all those nutrients that would be lost in cooking, and is closer to the "natural" state of a cat's diet in the wild, so it could be an even better choice than what he was using.

Let us know how successful the new diet is with your cats...I might try it on mine, too. He definitely needs something that isn't either food-in-a-box or half of my dinner.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:09 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,541,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Well, thanks to CatsMom I am now a member of the Facebook Raw Food for IBD cats group (a closed group) and the Cats Site and I am about to make a huge change, but gradually.

I will be feeding raw to my cats. The outside ones, too, as much as is feasible.
Good for you. Commercial cat food causes diabetes.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:38 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,707,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
I've been thinking about this recently. What did cats eats before commercial cat food? Scraps and what they could catch?
Prior to commercial cat food, cats were not as commonly known as indoor household pets. They were mousers, and roamed free outside, unneutered, unvaccinated, left to their own devices, often riddled with fleas and parasites and the females with mammary and other infections from continual pregnancy/birthing.

The ones living near the shore would eat rats and fish, and still do. Field cats ate birds, and still do. Barn cats eat mice.

Feral cats are as much a problem now as ever - worse really, because people feed them instead of leaving them to their own devices like they used to. That makes a better-fed cat, which lives long enough to have a few extra litters.

Prior to domestication, wild cats ate what wild cats still do. But wild cats aren't domesticated cats, and most of them aren't even in the same subspecies. Fluffy's ancestors weren't lions. Their dietary needs are different.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Good for you. Commercial cat food causes diabetes.
If that were true, then every cat who eats commercial cat food would have diabetes.

MOST cats who eat commercial cat food, do NOT have diabetes. Therefore, commercial cat food doesn't cause diabetes.

However, commercial cat foods containing too many carbs, in conjunction with a sedentary lifestyle, definitely *contributes to* diabetes.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 AM

11,092 posts, read 9,042,198 times
Good decision! I have been feeding my Bengal raw since she was born. She's nearly 3 now.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,243,626 times
[quote=AnonChick;33745666]Prior to commercial cat food, cats were not as commonly known as indoor household pets. They were mousers, and roamed free outside, unneutered, unvaccinated, left to their own devices, often riddled with fleas and parasites and the females with mammary and other infections from continual pregnancy/birthing.

The ones living near the shore would eat rats and fish, and still do. Field cats ate birds, and still do. Barn cats eat mice.

Feral cats are as much a problem now as ever - worse really, because people feed them instead of leaving them to their own devices like they used to. That makes a better-fed cat, which lives long enough to have a few extra litters.

Dear Anon, In theory what you are saying is correct, but you have a few things wrong and they make a HUGE difference: First, cats are not wild animals, even ferals. They are not like raccoons or birds. They do not survive to a normal lifespan outside, feral cats. The average feral lives to age 2.

Second, ferals in most areas do not catch what they need. Here in NYC we have hundreds of thousands of homeless ferals (true ferals who have never spent life growing up with humans, cannot tolerate human contact, are not socialized to humans) and they utterly depend upon humans to feed them outside or they die slow, painful, agonizing deaths from disease related to a lack of proper nutrition and infections.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:58 PM

2,060 posts, read 1,776,382 times
Good for you! I'm doing the same, very slowly transitioning to raw too. So far, it's going pretty well for me. I can already see a great improvement in our oldest's fur.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:33 PM

Martha, I used to be a member of a TNR group. I'm very familiar with feral colonies; I spent a year trapping them to get them neutered and vaccinated and then released back into the woods. Someone asked what cats did before commercial cat food.

I distinguished between domestic cats with homes, feral cats, and wild cats (which - if you've ever heard of lions, tigers, cougars, lynx, Fishing Cats, the actual cat called "wildcat" (felis silvestris), and other cats that are wild - as opposed to domestic, or feral).

You might only be familiar with small domestic and feral cats, but that doesn't mean other types of cats don't exist. Furthermore, domestic cats descend from wild cats. And when someone asks "what did cats eat before commercial cat food," it helps to understand the differences. And in order to know what the differences are, you have to acknowledge that the differences exist.

That's why I distinguished between them and wrote out my explanation, instead of some simplistic, but incomplete answer like "mice."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats