Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 06:41 PM

114 posts, read 192,213 times

Advertisements

I have a soon to be 8 year old cat with what appears to be a feline cavity/dental problem- it isn't the first tooth hes lost, its his 3'd. The right main back lower molar this time. whenever i touch the tooth he chatters his jaw in pain. Hes started to dislike his woody's, this food has ground bone for dental health.- had him on dry before I learned it wasn't good for cats. The vet Marie Louderback says the tooth cannot be saved and must be pulled, is she right?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 06:47 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsmylove View Post
I have a soon to be 8 year old cat with what appears to be a feline cavity/dental problem- it isn't the first tooth hes lost, its his 3'd. The right main back lower molar this time. whenever i touch the tooth he chatters his jaw in pain. Hes started to dislike his woody's, this food has ground bone for dental health.- had him on dry before I learned it wasn't good for cats. The vet Marie Louderback says the tooth cannot be saved and must be pulled, is she right?.
Probably. I seriously doubt your vet would recommend extraction if it wasn't necessary. Sorry you & your cat are having to go through this.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:57 PM

She is a lower income vet, but I like her, she actually subjests wet food for blocked cats with UTIs. Sadly you have to have a physical or mental disability or be elderly to get her, in home services. I will get the tooth pulled for $50, this includes sedation/ect.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Definitely, have it out. And soon. Sounds like your kitty is suffering from resorptive lesions (Feline Odontoclastic Resorptive Lesions, or FORL) Extremely painful disease, the chattering reaction is a classic sign.

I recommend your vet x ray the remaining teeth to see if any more are starting, and if there are, have them out, too.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:49 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Definitely, have it out. And soon. Sounds like your kitty is suffering from resorptive lesions (Feline Odontoclastic Resorptive Lesions, or FORL) Extremely painful disease, the chattering reaction is a classic sign.

I recommend your vet x ray the remaining teeth to see if any more are starting, and if there are, have them out, too.
I learned something recently about veterinary dental care. Did you know that the majority of vets do NOT have dental x-ray machines? My lady vet told me that. She volunteers in a shelter and said that so many cats present with partial removal of the tooth, the root has not been fully removed and the cat "looks" like it has no tooth but is in agony. People need to make sure that any dental work is done by a vet who has and uses a modern dental x-ray machine.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:30 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsmylove View Post
Yes. Why didn't you allow her to remove it and end his pain and suffering?

Old 03-12-2014, 01:32 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I learned something recently about veterinary dental care. Did you know that the majority of vets do NOT have dental x-ray machines? My lady vet told me that. She volunteers in a shelter and said that so many cats present with partial removal of the tooth, the root has not been fully removed and the cat "looks" like it has no tooth but is in agony. People need to make sure that any dental work is done by a vet who has and uses a modern dental x-ray machine.
The place I worked didn't have a dental x-ray machine either. The extracted tooth was carefully examined to make sure the entire root was there.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:28 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Sadly, she is most likely right, and if your cat chatters, he must be in quite a bit of pain. Like cats mom said, have the vet check all of the other teeth and remove them if necessary. He will feel so much better, and won't miss the teeth that are gone.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:28 PM

Okay will do, what I'll do is get the bad tooth out now. ON the 20th he's having his extraction. and later when i get my rent rebate ( around Aug/ late september) have pomermy animal clinic or animal medical clinic, x ray the cats jaws to see if A: more teeth are becoming bad and B: if any teeth are left from when louder back pulled them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats