Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The Basset LOVES it! He was playing with it for a half hour this evening. Bobbles stood and watched in horror.
LOL Really? I wonder how common that is. I've never heard that they make a good activity for dogs. It's only something that would really be observed in a household with both cats and dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 08:06 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I have the donut shaped plastic cat toy with cutouts to play with the ball inside. It's usually in the "cat room", but I put it in the kitchen one day for reasons I don't remember. One of my dogs had a ball with it, first flicking the ball with her tongue, then sliding the toy around on the floor with her paw. Then, to try a little harder to get the little ball, she picked the toy up in her mouth, and back in the cat room it went.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:09 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
The Turboscratcher is a popular item in our house too! One of our cats regularly sits or lounges on it, LOL. A little tip--you can flip over the cardboard pieces to use both sides before you replace it.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:59 AM

369 posts, read 759,513 times
I've been considering getting one for my cats. I somehow have the cardboard scratcher part from one - my dad found it in his house one day, despite us never having bought that type of toy for Blackie - and they enjoy scratching on that. We used to have a few in the shelter I work at, like most toys some cats loved it and others ignored it, which is why I didn't see it as a must-have item. But based on all the positive reviews here I think I'll pick one up if I see it on sale.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:19 AM

I really really need to stop buying toys in ring-shaped tracks. The ball in the ring with cutouts has been pretty much ignored by all my cats once they pass kittenhood. A month or two ago I bought a fuzzy mouse that circled on a stick in a ring with cutouts (Walgreens). It held their interest for 1 day. Now the Turboscratcher, the same. One day of moderate interest. But for some reason all of them like to sit on the cardboard scratcher in the middle.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Bobbles likes sitting there too so I started putting her favorite stuffed animal toys she likes to beat up there.

Have you tried rotating toys? Putting toys away for a period of time so they have a renewed interest when they appear again?

Old 03-19-2014, 07:56 AM

Yes, but none of them like to play alone that much. My older boy will sometimes chase a jingle ball, or his brother, around, but not for long. Other than that, they'd prefer that Mommy play a game with them. Since I wrote that last post, my youngest was playing with the turboscratcher half-heartedly for a minute. It was right after I'd told him for the tenth time that we'd played Da Bird less than an hour ago, and I wasn't ready to play again. I feel so special.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I feel so special.
Being special is hard work!

Old 03-19-2014, 12:41 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
ShadowCat will sit on the cardboard and turn into the "cat with no body and tiny head" as long as there is fresh catnip. Like - cat on a tray anyone:>)

Old 03-20-2014, 10:19 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Very happy to hear that you found a toy that your cat loves. It's like a miracle when one can be found.

I have purchased one of those for my cats. They love cardboard. They don't love the toy, itself. They played with it for about 5 minutes when I brought it home, beaming with pride. I sat there and watched them play with it for that five minutes thinking I'd struck gold.

Now? Pscht. I even put cat nip on it...nope, they'd rather play freeway traffic with the cardboard boxes I have lined up in the living room downstairs. (And when they are filled up with a cat inside, I pretend I'm a traffic copter, hovering over them, reporting on the congested traffic. They like that much better for some reason.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats