Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times

Advertisements

Opie was originally my husband's cat when we got married but he and I grew to love each other as much as he loved my husband. Opie was a beautiful, long, sleek black haired boy with the longest tail and biggest green eyes ever and about the sweetest disposition on a tomcat you would ever want. For me it was love at first sight and when he crawled into my arms and nibbled my nose, I was his!!! He was one of a litter of four - we lost his father Boobert in 2012 and still have his three other brothers but they are all seniors now. Opie was about 14 years old and about 16 months ago he was diagnosed with CKF. We did what we could for him these last months, keeping him as comfortable as possible and loving him every day. We had no idea today was our last one but I knew our luck had to run out at some point. He had been very quiet and would generally hide quite a bit, but he crawled out from behind the sofa and made a howling meow that I had never heard from him before. It broke my heart - it sounded like he was in obvious pain and I got on the floor with him. He was drooling, eyes dilated, feet and legs and ears icy cold, he was weak and his chest was pounding - along with that meow - and I knew it was bad. I called our vet and he met us at the office (on a Sunday night - no less. God love him..!!) and we knew what we had to do. He agreed with us and gave us some time to say more goodbyes (there is never enough time or enough ways to do so properly) and with us there holding him gently and both of us crying our eyes out, we lost our boy. He had stopped grooming himself a long time ago, he was painfully thin, he was a shadow of himself - but when I looked in his face I saw our boy in there - and my God, I will miss him forever. I'm happy for him that he's free now, and he'll never have to be infused again, or take pills again. But I'll miss holding him and hearing his purrs and feeling those sweet paws resting on my cheek. Thank you for the 7 wonderful years you gave to me Opie, and the 7 you gave your dad before I knew you. You helped us become a family - and you'll always be a wonderful part of my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 10:24 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
My condolences on the loss of your beloved Opie. It is always hard to lose someone you love. May your memories comfort you in this difficult time.

Hugs

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
You did the right thing.

God Bless Opie!

Old 03-23-2014, 10:34 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm a little numb myself since my girlfriend lost her boy "Schroede" on the 11th. I hope you have lots of pictures to remember him with.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:00 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
Oh no.

May You, your husband & Opie be together once again, as I always said, at Rainbow Bridge where he already eagerly awaits you both. I offer my heartfelt sympathy, as this is 2nd beloved pet I've heard about today needing to be put down so fast. My heart bleeds for all of you that are going through this at this time.

It is never easy & I just wish my words could bring him back. I know they can't but please take joy & Comfort knowing God's Plan is far greater, & Opie is in the BEST Hand's he can be in from now on. May God Bless you & your husband at this time of need, & Please take care of yourself til you find Peace & Comfort in his years, memories & lifetime he so willingly, loving gave you. You indeed are truly special to feel this & have shared a bond so close -- that no human can even fathom -- between a pet and their loving owner. May God have Mercy & bring you some Peace.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Goodbye, Opie. Godspeed.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:50 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
My heart goes out to you!

Old 03-24-2014, 06:56 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
Awwww! He sounds like a wonderful kitty!!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:02 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
What a horrible day for you and Opie! Your vet is wonderful, and it's a blessing that it did not have to wait until the morning. I'm so very sorry.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:35 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
My condolences on your loss. "Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats