Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:41 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,681,619 times

Advertisements

Just kidding. There's a hole in my food dish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 10:54 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,601,367 times
Ha!

My kitty was probably chasing a moth in the middle of the night. In any case, she managed to dump her kibble dish, and it slid down the back steps (I've since moved it). She woke me up about 3 am to let me know that eating food off the floor was not to her liking!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:16 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,236,440 times
Lucky you that your cat doesn't like to eat food off of the floor. Orion doesn't like to eat out of a dish, ANY dish. He takes the food, wet or dry, out of the dish and eats it off of the floor or whatever surface I feed him on. I tried giving him a flat dish, or one with very deep sides, doesn't help, he manages to get he food out of anything I put it in. I've also tried feeding him on something, i.e. a microwave cart but he knocks the food to the floor so I still step on it, crunch/squish/yuck!

Old 05-07-2014, 09:25 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,356,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Lucky you that your cat doesn't like to eat food off of the floor. Orion doesn't like to eat out of a dish, ANY dish. He takes the food, wet or dry, out of the dish and eats it off of the floor or whatever surface I feed him on. I tried giving him a flat dish, or one with very deep sides, doesn't help, he manages to get he food out of anything I put it in. I've also tried feeding him on something, i.e. a microwave cart but he knocks the food to the floor so I still step on it, crunch/squish/yuck!
That's a bit strange... even for a cat. My girl Gypsy also has a cute food habit. Whenever she gets a treat or is eating chunky wet food, she takes a small piece in her mouth and does a little head-shake before she eats it. She only does it for the first 2 bites or so, then eats normally after that. It's almost like she's trying to 'kill' her food, or something like that. Anyway, it's cute, and she's the only one I've ever seen do this.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:44 AM

<sigh> Orion is strange. He doesn't like cats, his best friend is Judy:

Old 05-07-2014, 10:04 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
Cats are nuts. Daisy just jumped up on my computer desk, put my pen in her mouth, and took off with it. That's the second laugh she gave me this morning, first was when I saw her sitting upright, like a human would sit in a chair, and then she tumbled backwards.

I think that is one of the reasons we love these guys so much, they keep doing crazy stuff that keeps us laughing.

Don

Old 05-07-2014, 10:08 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,681,619 times
Ive heard the shaking head thing is normal as my cats do it. Its supposedly primal instinct; the tearing of flesh off the bone. My cat Raven will lay down on the table, paw a piece of kibble from the bowl, play a little mini-game of soccer with it until falls off the table, then she will proceed to fall off the table herself and eat it. Then she'll jump back up and repeat the process for each piece.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:27 AM

They are so endearing when they find ways to amuse themselves. Raven has the food out of the bowl trick to an entirely new level =) I hope Orion doesn't read this or he'll be sharing with Judy.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:41 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,356,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Ive heard the shaking head thing is normal as my cats do it. Its supposedly primal instinct; the tearing of flesh off the bone. My cat Raven will lay down on the table, paw a piece of kibble from the bowl, play a little mini-game of soccer with it until falls off the table, then she will proceed to fall off the table herself and eat it. Then she'll jump back up and repeat the process for each piece.
I've always thought it was something like that, and it makes sense. Almost every cat we had taken in over the years played 'food soccer'. Until recently there were always small dogs in the house, and the cats favorite pastime was to scoop out a piece of their kibble and bat it around the kitchen. Lose one under something... no problem, go get another. It was a daily event, and most of them still did it way into their adulthood. Had to buy a new fridge 05', and I swear there was enough old kibble under it to last our little Yorkie a week.... not to mention many other items of questionable origin.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:56 AM

24,467 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
How about a plastic place mat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats