Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:14 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Get some Revolution(r) from your vet. It's the best thing I have ever tried (and I have tried many), I wouldnt' use anything else.

20yrsinBranson
I'll second that recommendation. I switched to it from Frontline last fall, and so far it's worked better than anything else I used over the years. Well worth the money IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 02:27 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Good idea thanks!

Again, thanks guys for all the good ideas and encouragement.

Any other way to know if they've gotten a tapeworm? That concerns me.
Dragging their butts on the floor after using the litter box comes to mind, and I suppose a fecal sample would show them. You can- 1. look for the 'sesame seed' indication which they may or may not leave for a while, 2. take them to the vet for an exam, or 3. just go ahead and treat them for tapeworms to be on the safe side. If they don't have them the treatment won't hurt them.

edited to add; If they have any fleas on them, there's a very good chance they will have tapeworms too. The last time I had a flea problem (in 2013) 2 of my 5 cats got tapeworms. Also had a flea issue back in 2011, and the same 2 cats got tapeworms then as well, but the others didn't. So it's not 100% certain they will get them, but is a strong possibility.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:27 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
Quote:
Any other way to know if they've gotten a tapeworm? That concerns me.

You'll know! They are very visible--you can see them. This is gross, but they often stick near them bum area and look like little wiggling pieces of rice. Sometimes they fall off where they sleep and they dry up, looking like sesame seeds or rice.

Now I'm feeling all itchy . . eww.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:54 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,237,846 times
Sorry to say my guys never had any other evidence of the worms except for the sesame seed segments where they sleep, that was the only way I knew they had them. I had no idea what it was so I looked it up, I think only one of the guys had it but treated all 3, and good grief was Orion put out let me tell you! First I gave his Capstar then a few days later I shoved another pill and a half down his throat - he's a very large kitty. But it works, they'll all fine pest free and I'm forgiven.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:34 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Thanks so much guys!

As of this morning, I'm hopeful! Cats aren't scratching and are feeling better!

Old 05-15-2014, 10:36 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Thanks so much guys!

As of this morning, I'm hopeful! Cats aren't scratching and are feeling better!
Keep doing the vaccuming, etc. There could be eggs yet to hatch!

Old 05-15-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
We have been vacuuming! OMG when we vacuumed the second time it was like we had never vacuumed in the first place!

What a great piece of advice.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:07 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
And the eggs can survive in the carpeting for a long time.

I know ... ugh.

I've never used any chemical treatment in the carpeting except borax (the 20 Mule Team stuff). You get it in the laundry aisle at the grocery store. It is completely safe. I sprinkled it on the carpet, worked it into the fibers with a broom, waited 30 minutes (it's not like they'll go anywhere near the vacuum, but I made sure the cats were kept elsewhere - just because it isn't toxic doesn't mean I want it on their paws), and vacuumed it up. I did this every couple of days for about a week.

Don't forget to vacuum in the tight places where the kitties like to hang out - in my house, it's behind and under the wing chair and the sofa.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:56 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
Blueherons-did you just recently also post in another forum about having wild bird nests in your atrium ?

You'd be surprised what parasites can live in wild bird nests and then can migrate into your home ( fleas, ticks,lice & mites). I'd suggest that the next time you see a bird start to make a nest in the atrium that you remove the nest and try to shoo the birds away before they start another nest or laying eggs.

This could well be the start of your infestation. Good luck

Old 05-16-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Blueherons-did you just recently also post in another forum about having wild bird nests in your atrium ?

You'd be surprised what parasites can live in wild bird nests and then can migrate into your home ( fleas, ticks,lice & mites). I'd suggest that the next time you see a bird start to make a nest in the atrium that you remove the nest and try to shoo the birds away before they start another nest or laying eggs.

This could well be the start of your infestation. Good luck
No, unless someone hacked my account, that was not me.

We do have a rather large flock of green parrots that roost on our roof (60-70) every morning but it is only for about 15 minutes.

My building does not have an atrium, only a lobby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats