Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:50 AM

369 posts, read 759,513 times

Advertisements

Wysong Epigen is supposedly for both dogs and cats too, so yes I have heard of this, but like many others I'm dubious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 01:17 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
I fed Wysong Epigen to Meeko and Alfredo while I was transitioning them from shelter grade kibble to canned then raw food. I have done Extensive reading/studying on Wysong products and Dr. Wysong's papers/monographs ... I'm thouroughly impressed with the science and reasoning behind their products.

They recently re-launched some of their products to incorporate new scientific findings.

After I had begun feeding Epigen to Meeko and Alfredo, I had both of them allergy tested and Alfredo is allergic to chicken, which many Wysong products contain, so I quit feeding him Epigen. Meeko, on the other hand, was not allergic to chicken, and Wysong Epigen was actually suggested from the database of the company I used for allergy testing, BICOM.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:38 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
There are some commercial raw foods I've bought that advertise that they can be fed to cats OR dogs. NVI Duck and Rabbit, I think, have on the labeling that it's OK for either. It's not a straight up ground raw though, there is a little bit of veg matter filler in there, which I don't like, but Nimbus cat loves rabbit and duck so we give it to him once in a while.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Thanks leanan..I was hoping you would come into the discussion. There are still some knowledgeable folks I'm hoping will speak up. I'm still leery to feed my cats food which is the same for dogs. Something counterintuitive about it.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:44 PM

I think I'd have trouble taking it from a store clerk in most of the pet food stores I visit...I'd definitely be checking online, maybe even standing in the aisle with my phone, and reading labels...but sometimes manufacturers do sell the same food for both.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think I'd have trouble taking it from a store clerk in most of the pet food stores I visit...I'd definitely be checking online, maybe even standing in the aisle with my phone, and reading labels...but sometimes manufacturers do sell the same food for both.
I called the EVO people. they confirmed it. see upthread somewhere.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Given that cats are obligate carnivores and dogs are omnivores, I'm not enchanted with this idea. Perhaps the designated cat food supplemented with veggies and fruits might work better?
Sushi really likes the Friskies Indoor cat food with garden greens and veggies.
On the other hand, this a cat who'll steal boiled cabbage and corn cobs from the trash can, so that's not saying much.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:12 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I had the same comment/thought about pet food store employees, even ones in speciality stores, or boutiques. I would have sworn I had already posted that thought

Honestly, most of the employees [a considerable number] I've discussed cat food with were not only uninformed and uneducated, they weren't aware that they were, and they were so smug [initially] then defensive, when I would ask them to "back up" their ridiculous statements.

Even 90% (approx) of the store owners of one-off boutiques were basically ignorant. Few did any research, they took the manufacturers advertising as truth. One salesperson recommended Wellness, as being on par/comparable to Primal. (It's not) Some of you can image how well that went went over with me

But my favorite statement has to be: Well you know, some cats are allergic to meat." I asked her if she meant, a particular protein? Oh no, "allergic to all meat". (NOT TRUE)

This was her justification for selling kibble with corn, wheat etc.

FYI cats get certain key nutrients from meat—including taurine, arachidonic acid, vitamin A and vitamin B12—that can’t be sufficiently obtained from plant-based foods. Without a steady supply of these nutrients, cats can suffer from liver and heart problems, not to mention skin irritation and hearing loss.

Veggie Cat Food? Why Not All Cats Need Meat - Scientific American

Old 06-20-2014, 05:02 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
But my favorite statement has to be: Well you know, some cats are allergic to meat." I asked her if she meant, a particular protein? Oh no, "allergic to all meat". (NOT TRUE)

This was her justification for selling kibble with corn, wheat etc.
Next time you hear that ridiculous statement you could mention that it's not the meat, but what the meat animal was FED, or TREATED WITH, that the cat has an intolerance to.

On topic: I'm with those of you who mistrust pet food companies who sell the same formula for both cats and dogs.

Last edited by catsmom21; 06-20-2014 at 05:32 AM..

Old 06-20-2014, 12:42 PM

Yeah, apologies for any redundancy with regard to the "I'm not so sure about the store clerk" comment.

I was just at Petsmart, and the lady there first tried to tell me that Wellness is the most healthy canned cat food in existence, and when I said, "Well, if I was REALLY trying to go all the way with the healthiest stuff, I'd be feeding raw, but I'm not ready to get a grinder and go for it," she said that she's been feeding raw for years and it's easy and I've been "reading the wrong books." She simply gives her dogs and cat raw ground chicken and turkey and sometimes wings or thighs. That's it. And then she got another customer and I left, but I would have liked to ask "what about organ meat and such??"

Whatever. I was there to pick up some of Nimbus' favorites to put back in the mix. Last time I went to a Holistic place and got Tiki and Weruva and such, and he is not approving of the Weruva. Picky little so and so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats