Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 03:04 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My cat heard that video of the baby kitten and immediately perked up and started looking for the baby. She sniffed all around the computer, and is still looking. Poor baby, she had a litter of kittens and was thrown out before they were weaned. My kids found her, outside in the rain, with a bowl of "food and water" that had ants crawling all over it. The idiot owners thought if they threw the cat out the kittens would be weaned, then they could take them to the shelter

My kids came in saying there's a cat and they won't let it in, can we keep her? At first I just thought it was a stray cat, until I saw her. It was the worse case of animal abuse I'd ever seen! She literally looked like a skeleton with fur Crawling with fleas, and her poor little body was still trying to make milk. Her nipples had inverted and were infected. We took her to a vet who got her put together again. He gave her IV fluids, antibiotics, and something to stop her lactation response. She grew into a sleek, glossy tortie cat who's a sweetheart.

We thought to make a complaint to animal control, but decided against it. The situation was resolved, the mama cat was now in good hands, and it could have made things bad for us. The neighbor was a teacher at my kids elementary school----its the likes of that teaching my kids

Anyways, she never got over being separated from her babies, although its been about 8+ years. I guess a mother's instincts never fade, just like last night----I usually sleep like a log. I heard my 17-year old DD crying Daddy! I was on my feet in a flash, running to her room, she was just having a nightmare. Right behind me came dh with an iron bar to bash whatever had his little girl. How could anyone who's experienced parenthood themselves simply throw a mama cat out from her babies?

Animals have more brains than humans at times
Sadly, I'm no longer shocked by people's ignorance or lack of caring. I wonder if it ever occurred to them to take the kittens and the mother to the shelter, since they didn't seem to care much about her anyway.
Idiots
Glad you were able to help the mamma cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 05:34 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,752 times
I just wanted to add my thanks for your diligent efforts to save this mom and her babies. You are a good person.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:38 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Thanks, Jess.

Another update... there are FIVE kittens. FIVE. Now I'm p*ssed. So, I'm on the hunt for traps. Will hopefully start tomorrow. My neighbor does want one of the kittens. I'm glad about that.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Why are you p*ssed?!??!! Make sure you get the mother too.

I feel so badly for a feral in my neighborhood. She had a kitten that she was caring for on my neighbor's property. My neighbor found it and took it into her home thinking it was abandoned. It's 4 weeks old. Now I keep seeing and hearing the mother walking around crying for her baby everyday. It's so sad!

The poor thing has been having litter after litter over the years, and almost every house in the neighborhood has one of her kittens. I need to talk to my other neighbor who has been feeding this feral for years. He needs to get her trapped and spayed. I know he trapped and released most of them a few years ago. I recall he said one was tricky and wasn't able to be trapped. This must be the one. He needs to try again.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why are you p*ssed?!??!! Make sure you get the mother too.
I'm p*ssed because now there's five... four was more than enough! You know how hard it can be to re-home that many animals. But yeah, we'll get mom. She'll be easy.

I have 2 volunteers from a cat rescue meeting me tomorrow to help us trap them.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:51 PM

We have the kittens! Mama is still out running around because she is so flea infested, as are the kittens. But we're not to worried she's around all the time, so it won't be a problem tomorrow to load her up into a carrier and take to the vet. Neighbor's sister works for a vet, so the whole family will be going tomorrow to be given a proper flea treatment and a good once over. Yes, we did bathe and comb the kittens. 3 boys, 2 girls
Photos...

Ok, I don't know what the hell is going on, but I can't seem to post the other 4 pics. But we got them.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:09 AM

7,072 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Yay! Good job, Steelstress!

Cute kitty!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:19 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Good job. You're doing a wonderful thing for this little family & I hope everything works out for them. I have to say that kitten in the photo looks to be in very good shape. It's obvious that mamma cat (& you) have been taking good care of them.
Congratulations on getting them in custody.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:57 AM

All of them look good, except for the fleas. Mama was taken in last night and is now back with her kittens. When I get home tonight, I'll try to post the rest of the pictures. Tally: 1 black (f), 2 white (m), 1 orange (b), 1 siamese (f). And all so freakin' cute!

Old 07-30-2014, 11:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I'm glad the family is together again! I can't wait to see the pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats