Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:35 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times

Advertisements

I live in a large condo complex. A few weeks ago, 2 neighbors and I noticed a "stray" hanging around the complex. Talking to other neighbors, a resident moved and left this cat behind, so we started feeding it hoping to trap it. Well, we noticed about 2 weeks ago it's a she, judging by her girth.

We hadn't seen her all week until yesterday, slim and svelte. Yes, she had kittens. Got a good look at her today (she is friendly) and she has teats. Don't know where the kittens are. So, I'm wondering, if we were to locate the kittens, trap mom, then bring her kittens to her, would that be feasible? We would like to take them in and get the kittens tame so they can be rehomed, along with mama. Of course, they would all be vetted/fixed.

We're not that knowledgeable, so any ideas you have is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 08:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
You can go about this a few ways.

The good news is the mom isn't feral. Keep feeding her and petting her when you see her. Feed her extra since she's nursing. She needs canned cat food for the moisture. You can wait until she brings the kittens to be fed around 6 weeks old and do the following: Always Trap Feral Kittens, Don't Chase 'Em Down and Bag 'Em!

If you locate the kittens, don't touch them. Don't let her know you know where they are. She'll move them if you do, and she'll lose trust in you. If you find the kittens before they are walking, you can scoop up the kittens and put them in the trap to lure the mother via the following: Kittens and Mom Scenarios and How to Trap - Alley Cat Allies

Be certain you have all of the kittens. You have to be careful because kittens can only go a few hours between feedings or their glucose will drop.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:08 PM

Thank you so much, Hope. I will be reading the links and sharing with my neighbors.

I bought a ton of canned food today, so that's covered.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:41 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Steelstress, bless you for trying to help!! I would want to STRANGLE that resident who moved and simply left his/her pregnant cat behind -- who could DO that??!!!

It's a couple of days since you last posted, so I hope you have found the kittens! Please update us!

Old 07-01-2014, 09:06 PM

No, we have not found them yet. I took a walk around the complex hoping to hear them, but nothing. Problem is, after momcat eats, she jumps over a patio wall and disappears into that patio. I don't believe the kittens are there, as that unit is occupied. I suspect she wants to remain stealth at this point. She used to walk along the top of the patio walls, but now now.

Talked to my neighbor yesterday who has taken the lead on this rescue (I covered feeding for one week while she was out of town), and we decided if we find the kittens, we want to relocate them to her patio along with momcat, since we feed her there every day. We hope to make these kittens adoptable.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
No, we have not found them yet. I took a walk around the complex hoping to hear them, but nothing. Problem is, after momcat eats, she jumps over a patio wall and disappears into that patio. I don't believe the kittens are there, as that unit is occupied. I suspect she wants to remain stealth at this point. She used to walk along the top of the patio walls, but now now.

Talked to my neighbor yesterday who has taken the lead on this rescue (I covered feeding for one week while she was out of town), and we decided if we find the kittens, we want to relocate them to her patio along with momcat, since we feed her there every day. We hope to make these kittens adoptable.
If you can, try to follow her after she eats but keep your distance and don't let her know you're watching her. If you get lucky, she'll lead you to the kittens (or at least the general area). But if she sees you following/watching she probably won't go to them, so be very stealthy. If you do find them, be prepared to capture them then as you may only get one shot at it. If Momma cat thinks you've found them or smells you on them, she'll most likely move them & you'll have to start all over again.
You may already know all this, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Good luck finding them.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
If you let the kittens stay where they are, the mother will bring the kittens around for feedings in a few weeks.

Patience.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you let the kittens stay where they are, the mother will bring the kittens around for feedings in a few weeks.

Patience.
Yeah, that's what I'm counting on. I'm hoping she's holed up in an unoccupied unit.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:18 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Don't have anything to add, I just wanted to say thank you for helping them.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:52 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Thank you so much, Hope. I will be reading the links and sharing with my neighbors.

I bought a ton of canned food today, so that's covered.
Thank you for being so kind to this mother and concerned for her and her babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats