U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:13 AM

12,123 posts, read 29,934,209 times

Advertisements

How many cats do you consider Hording? I don't consider any animal being Properly cared for Hording. As long as the Cats are Happy Healthy place clean Don't matter if its 1 or 101. I have had friends over the years that have had hundred plus! Cats were all veted fed well cared for. But now I at a cross roads. On my local Facebook there is a man living in his car to keep the family home from being condemned. A LOT of folks have talking about helping Him get the home fixed so he can go back to living in it. So far I got getting the Whole pic which includes cats. No one wants to say how many he feeding. If they are s/n or anything. The person heading this save the man is one of many neighbors that say they want to help. But not one talking about the cats except to say he feeding a lot of strays. So far not one of the close neighbors as saying they ARE helping except the one that started the thread. She brings him leftovers... not sure if they for the guy or the cats. So before I get any deeper involved I need ALL the Advice you folks can give me. Since he seems to be getting help as least ideas as I not sure anyone doing anything yet but talking. I like to see about the cat situation. So toss me some ideas.... BTW I don't even know if he considers them pets to care for or just don't want to see them go hungry. I haven't meet the man nor does it seems other than the neighbors met him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 07:24 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
You need to investigate further to determine if he is a cat hoarder or a feral cat feeder. They are two different things.

You can intervene if he is feeding feral cats by the catch, spay/neuter, release program. If he is no longer able to feed the cats, a non-kill rescue group might be able to find colonies that they can be distributed among.

You can call a humane officer and go the legal route if they are his personal pets and not being cared for.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:51 PM

3,223 posts, read 2,693,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You need to investigate further to determine if he is a cat hoarder or a feral cat feeder. They are two different things.

You can intervene if he is feeding feral cats by the catch, spay/neuter, release program. If he is no longer able to feed the cats, a non-kill rescue group might be able to find colonies that they can be distributed among.

You can call a humane officer and go the legal route if they are his personal pets and not being cared for.
Yeah, hoarder and feral cat feeding are two different things. I'd investigate some more and then call the humane officer. I really like what Hopes suggested.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:04 PM

7,588 posts, read 5,102,618 times
To me the difference would be if the cats are confined indoors or not. If they are outside (or mostly so) I would think it would be more of a feral feeding situation. Keeping very many/too many locked up in a cramped and/or unclean environment with minimal interaction & socialization (not to mention vet care)would be hoarding.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:13 PM

Sounds like ferals since they say he's feeding lots of strays. That's not hoarding.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:18 AM

Lost my Electric do to storm so just now getting back.

I am told he has 17 adults & not sure how many kittens ...for sure a litter of 3 hes Willing to let go the kittens to good homes.

I cant seem to get to meet this guy! His Neighbors are asking for help for him BUT every time some one is to go meet him its a ... Sorry Busy today!.... Yet they making the rules as to day & time! Also been told Not to tell him his personal business is on FB!! Another person tried to meet him early today! And again was told were too busy! Yet both of us confirmed 1 hour before we were going to meet him... this is driving me crazy!! So when I do get to meet him & se how the cats are I will update.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:29 AM

Listen. How hard can he be to find?

The guy is living in a car outside of his house he's trying to save.

You know where the house is. That's where the cats are. They're outside.

Even if you can't find him, you can find the cats.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:46 AM

Katie, are you sure this isn't a scam?

I can find newspaper articles in your area about condemned homes and animal hoarders for last year, but nothing recent. Since your local news reports this stuff, why haven't they reported this latest case?

Since you can't reach them and their posting on facebook, call the local newspaper and television news station and tip them about the story Let them investigate.

Here's an example of one of these stories from last year: Police seize dogs, cats from condemned home - The News Virginian - The Daily Progress

Old 07-09-2014, 07:38 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,382,278 times
If his home is on the brink of being condemned, he is probably a hoarder. The fact that he won't let anyone IN is also a sign of a hoarder. If he has kittens, his cats probably aren't s/n. If they are feral cats he is feeding, you will see them outside his home. If you see no cats around, they are inside and I would personally call animal control.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 AM

No address... so no clue where he lives. Adv household in my are has LOTS of cats! As said my Home health aide neighbor have over 100 adults. Tons of kittens adv free. I don't think many if any believe in S/N Limits on dogs inside city limits but not cats. My newpapers dosent put animal horders or feeders in the paper only splash Abusers. BYB turn in dogs to local pound they even keep the breeds involved out of the paper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats