Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 03:26 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Advertisements

I called to schedule Charlies one year follow up and shots and my vets last day is tomorrow.

I had so many issues with this vets office but she was the one shining light there. She took care of our kitties as if they were her own.

At this point, we may need to go ahead and change vets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 03:46 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
I say do it! With Weasie it was the same situation. She and I had "that one" vet who was our favorite and who was the only thing that kept me using the practice, which had sold out to VCA and was going the "corporate franchise" route. (By that I mean maximizing profits with needless lab work, vaccines, and procedures in the absence of consulting with the client...prominent displays of a certain brand of pet foods...) Perhaps for the very reasons I'd grown disenchanted with that clinic, Weasie's and my go-to vet resigned and not that long thereafter relocated to a different city. I wasted no time asking around and finding a new place - and my changing of vet practices paid off in spades. The new place was closer, cheaper, independent, and fully staffed by good people. Eight years later, I still use them - matter of fact, Seteria has to go in for a vac tomorrow.
Y'know what they say, "One door closes and another opens." Best o' luck! We don't want Charlie and the Fearless Fanged One going to just anybody.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:09 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Hate to hear that you're losing your favorite vet. I've always felt fortunate to have the vet I have. He's the only small animal/house pet vet in my small town, but he's a good vet & prices aren't outrageous. He has his own practice, so hopefully he'll be around for many years to come. His office is only 5 minutes from my house, so I don't have to listen to the indignant protests from the PTU for very long. Would hate to have to drive to the nearest town for vet care... it's 24 miles away & I don't have any ear plugs.
Good luck finding a new one. As goyguy said, can't have KK & Charlie going to just any old vet. That won't do at all.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:30 PM

Nope, they can't just go to anyone!!!

We had talked about this before when we were thinking of changing vets and I went and visited a vet about 2 miles up the road from the one we are using now.

The office is very nice and most of the volunteers from the rescue where we got the kitties use them.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:43 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I have that problem. I have moved and my two Great Danes' vet works an hour away from us. My girlfriend thinks it's silly for me to drive them an hour to see their old vet when her vet, who she likes a lot, is less than 1/2 mile away, but I like their old vet so much and really trust him. I've used him almost six years now. I don't really want to change unless it's necessary. So far my dogs are pretty young and healthy (fingers crossed). I'm still debating whether to take the plunge and just switch them over to the new vet. Is it worth the switch just because of an occasional commute?

Old 08-14-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I have that problem. I have moved and my two Great Danes' vet works an hour away from us. My girlfriend thinks it's silly for me to drive them an hour to see their old vet when her vet, who she likes a lot, is less than 1/2 mile away, but I like their old vet so much and really trust him. I've used him almost six years now. I don't really want to change unless it's necessary. So far my dogs are pretty young and healthy (fingers crossed). I'm still debating whether to take the plunge and just switch them over to the new vet. Is it worth the switch just because of an occasional commute?
I don't know. If your dogs don't mind the trip and you don't either I don't see any reason to switch other than convenience.

My cats aren't fans of riding in the car, so I couldn't make them drive an hour there and back. I know dogs are different with riding in the car.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:29 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
When I moved to Evanston, WY twelve years ago I didn't have a clue about the vets there so I started to consider who would give me the best recommendation. I thought that the vet who worked with a no kill shelter would be the best. So I called the nearest one, a hundred miles away in Rock Springs which in Wyoming we consider a neighboring town. The person answering my call said she'd ask their vet. The next day she called me back to say that their vet strongly recommended one particular vet.

He was great. When I moved from Evanston I really missed him although I found a good one here as well. Once, when my Evanston vet was away for the weekend, I found a puppy who had been hit by a car. I took her to the other vet who did meet me about 1 A.M. After staying for the weekend I took him back to my regular vet. The other one had suggested euthanasia because of her desire to bite everybody. I've had her for ten years.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My girlfriend thinks it's silly for me to drive them an hour to see their old vet...I'm still debating whether to take the plunge and just switch them over to the new vet. Is it worth the switch just because of an occasional commute?
Would she continue to see her gynecologist, who she knows and likes and trusts, if s/he practiced an hour away? Or would she start going to another one who's closer, who she was told was good?

Old 08-15-2014, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
...I don't have to listen to the indignant protests from the PTU for very long.
PTU =
Puddy Tat Underfoot?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
I had to deal with this in January. Thankfully, there are six other vets at the practice, and I really like two others, so switching was not a big deal. If you've had other issues, it indeed may be time to switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats