Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:49 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,334 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am so tired of thinking I've found a great sitter -- only to come home to a bunch of concern. My outdoor flowers -- we're talking one plant -- were totally wilted. And my point isn't the plant per se. . . I'm just concerned that if they looked bad the cat wasn't getting much care either.

I had a 16 yr. old girl down the street who seems sweet and awesome. She assured me that her dad is allergic to cats so she loves them and wants to sit for them.

When we got home I also noticed that his water bowl hadn't been cleaned out, the area I keep the cat litter wasn't great at all -- although she'd been scooping -- and when I cuddled him he started shedding. (He's a short hair and rarely sheds. If she'd been petting him and holding him, would he shed??)

I'm so irritated. I asked her to come over 3X a day and cuddle/play for an hour and yes, I'm paying well for a teen. Plus we live about 6 houses away from her at most.

I was only gone a week.

What do you think? Am I overreacting? How do you find a sitter you love??

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 08:58 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times
The cat sitter may have enjoyed playing with your cat, but maybe not so attentive to keeping up with daily cleaning/maintenance chores. I think your cat may have been shedding more fur because it's summer and the warmer weather makes them shed more, not because the girl didn't play with him. That said, she may not be that responsible, although at 16 you can expect a certain level of maturity. Next time, just ask a friend or ask friends for recommendations for cat sitters with good experience. This would of been a great gig for that girl living only a few houses down, but you are not happy with her so just find another cat sitter.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:19 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
I asked my vet. I also asked the rescue where I got my cats. Word of mouth. They both recommended the same person and we used her and she was great with the cats.

She will be coming back next month for four days.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:33 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,872 times
Mostly in the summer they are shedding. I experienced more drama than you. Non of them are not taking care of animals, they care about the money they get paid for, that is all. At the end I made a deal with my neighbor, she looks after mine when I am not there and I do for her when she is not there. That works perfect as well we both love our cats. Do you have some one like that?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:40 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
It's hard to find anyone who will take care of them as you do. I'm happy if they show up once a day, feed, water, and scoop.

I'm also at the point now that I'm moved that I won't be taking long trips. Day trips or overnights are much easier.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:05 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am so tired of thinking I've found a great sitter -- only to come home to a bunch of concern. My outdoor flowers -- we're talking one plant -- were totally wilted. And my point isn't the plant per se. . . I'm just concerned that if they looked bad the cat wasn't getting much care either.
I once had someone look after some expensive Betta fish I had while gone for a week. Half of them were dead when we got back. I was very upset over it. People just don't care.

Quote:
I had a 16 yr. old girl down the street who seems sweet and awesome. She assured me that her dad is allergic to cats so she loves them and wants to sit for them.

When we got home I also noticed that his water bowl hadn't been cleaned out, the area I keep the cat litter wasn't great at all -- although she'd been scooping -- and when I cuddled him he started shedding. (He's a short hair and rarely sheds. If she'd been petting him and holding him, would he shed??)

I'm so irritated. I asked her to come over 3X a day and cuddle/play for an hour and yes, I'm paying well for a teen. Plus we live about 6 houses away from her at most.
Sorry to say, and some may disagree, but the teens today aren't at all reliable/dependable. At one time the WalMart and other stores in town hired them for all kinds of positins - no more. One of the women working at WalMart told me a long list of problems they had with teenagers. They now hire the retired who may be slower but are at least dependable. Rather than hire teens to mow lawns, people pay more and get lawn services. Try and find an adult if possible. I live in a semi-rural area and can't find anyone of any age to feed the cat now living in our garage (she's free to come and go). We'll be gone for a week next month. She'll have to live on the numerous moles and field mice she catches.

Quote:
I was only gone a week.
Alley
I don't think you're over-reacting. She probably fed, scooped and left. The real danger being if a male blocks while you're gone, he will quickly die. I wish I could find a pet sitter (to feed the outdoor cat) and a knowledgeable plant sitter myself. 1/3 of my tropical plants died last winter while under the care of plant-sitter. We take our 4 indoor-only cats with us since we have an RV.

Last edited by =^..^=; 08-30-2014 at 09:14 AM..

Old 08-30-2014, 11:42 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I was only gone a week.

Alley
The shedding could be stress related from you being gone so long. But I do think your sitter could have done a better job. Perhaps she didn't quite understand what was involved in caring for your cat to the level you expected. If you can't find another sitter next time, try explaining (in detail) what you expect her to do and give her a second chance. It sounds as though she doesn't have cats of her own, so maybe a bit of education would be in order.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:40 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,162 times
I used to be a pet sitter, and word of mouth is how I got most of my business. Ask your friends, neighbors, the vet, the receptionists that work there, the groomer, etc. I would not hire a teenager, but it really does not sound like this girl did anything wrong.

I rarely had anyone ask me to take care of their outdoor plants, but if they did I would. I did bring mail in the house every day.
I'm not sure if you asked the girl to brush your cat? Cats are not always fans of getting brushed, especially by a stranger. Many times they will actually hide when the pet sitter comes in. You just make sure they have food, water, and their litter box is clean. I'm not sure how the area was not kept clean? Did you tell her you want her to vacuum around the cat litter boxes? I'm sure your cat was fine if the area wasn't perfectly tidy for a few days.

I also would not expect someone to spend three hours every day cuddling with your cat unless you are paying them really well for that time, and even then most cats will not be into cuddling with the pet sitter that much. I used to spend a lot more time with dogs, playing with them and walking them because cats really did prefer to be left alone.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:23 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
My outdoor flowers -- we're talking one plant -- were totally wilted.

I also noticed that his water bowl hadn't been cleaned out, the area I keep the cat litter wasn't great at all -- although she'd been scooping -- and when I cuddled him he started shedding. (He's a short hair and rarely sheds. If she'd been petting him and holding him, would he shed??)

Did you ask the sitter to water plants? If you did not mention plants, then it's not their fault. (Yes, they *should* have noticed, but not everyone notices things).

Did you ask her to vacuum around the litter box? Or just scoop? If she scooped, she did what you asked. Heck, my own kids won't vacuum around the litter box.

Shedding is both weather and stress related.

Do you know how your cat reacts to strangers when you are not around? Perhaps the cat did not want to be cuddled or brushed by a stranger. I have 2 cats, and I know for a fact one hides when strangers come over. The other might sniff and investigate, but the minute they move towards her, she keeps just out of reach.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:15 PM

10 posts, read 9,444 times
I am a retired teacher (but not old) and I do pet sitting. I have my own cat and dog and love spending time with other pets. I do believe that an older adult does a much better job. They are mature, responsible, and much more experienced with pets and with watching over a house. I take the job seriously and provide loving care while following the owner's wishes precisely (just make sure you tell the provider exactly what you want done). An advantage of hiring a pet sitter is that you do not have to impose on friends or neighbors that don't really have the time or desire to do the job. You may however have to pay an adult more that you could pay a teenager.
There are sites you can go to online to find pet sitters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats