Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 12:13 AM

1 posts, read 17,275 times

Advertisements

A simple question, actually... I'm going to get a 17-foot Uhaul to make a 9-hour move... in the cab will be me, my friend, and my cat in a carrier. Can we fit? Is the cab big enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 08:53 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I have done it. Myself, my mother, and one very stoned cat. Make sure to get some Acepromazine from your vet before you leave. Listening to a cat cry-bark for 9 hours will make you insane.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:43 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I didn't do it in a truck but had 3 cats and 3 dogs in my little SUV for 11 hours. The vet would not give me anything for the cats to keep them calm, but as it turned out they weren't too bad once we got on the road. They weren't too happy but they were in carriers and made it just fine.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:46 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
You can also try Rescue Remedy, which is available at Petsmart and places like that...it's herbal and just sort of chills the kitty out. I would think all of you could fit without problems - no trip in a UHaul is going to be comfy, it's just a matter of degrees at this point!

Old 12-27-2007, 02:05 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Well if you go onto any military base with the animal in there, expect to be arrested or fined or both.. also if you leave the animal in the back while in a hotel and it is discovered by a cop, expect your animal to be taken and you being fined for animal neglect. Just as a warning from a Former DA police officer who has made a couple arrest due to this fact.

I have known many people who have done it, I guess if it is your only choice, make sure the animal is well protected that nothing falls on it, and that it has plenty of food and water. Also make stops along the way and check on it from time to time, giving it some comfort and praise for being a good kitty.. may save you from having a surprise in your shoe when you get to your new home. =)

That rescue remedy works well.. I also recommend it. Good luck.. and safe travels.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:04 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Well if you go onto any military base with the animal in there, expect to be arrested or fined or both.. also if you leave the animal in the back while in a hotel and it is discovered by a cop, expect your animal to be taken and you being fined for animal neglect. Just as a warning from a Former DA police officer who has made a couple arrest due to this fact.
Muhnay, a question - why would you have problems on a military base if the animals are properly vaccinated, etc.? I am assuming this is a security issue? Just curious....and I'm glad to hear the military is proactive on animal neglect...the "entering a military base" has me a little bumfuzzled, though...???

Old 12-31-2007, 01:11 AM

62 posts, read 376,822 times
would the RESCUE REMEDY be okay for my diabetic kitty??? we are moving in the next year... 16 hr drive... ughhhhhh my sugah baby worries me... my other one loves to go byebye!!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:27 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I have done it. Myself, my mother, and one very stoned cat. Make sure to get some Acepromazine from your vet before you leave. Listening to a cat cry-bark for 9 hours will make you insane.
Be VERY careful with Ace. It is an extremely potent sedative. You can never be sure how a dose is going to affect an animal because they all react differently.

You can travel without it. I just drove across country with my cat. I let him out of the carrier and he goes and finds a safe place to hide. He was very comfortable in the car. We traveled six days and 3,000 miles. He ate in the car, used his litter box, and slept like he was bathed in sunshine.

greenie

Old 01-02-2008, 09:55 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Yes, the cabs are wide and spacious. I never sedated my cats and they do fine, howl for about an hour, then give up and settle down. My sister drove with me once, and held my very neurotic cat much of the way. I think is preferable for the pet(s) to have someone give them attention while you drive.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:06 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Muhnay, a question - why would you have problems on a military base if the animals are properly vaccinated, etc.? I am assuming this is a security issue? Just curious....and I'm glad to hear the military is proactive on animal neglect...the "entering a military base" has me a little bumfuzzled, though...???
Well for starters your not supposed to transport animals or people in the back of a U-HAUL. Second the temperature either hot or cold could kill the animals. So its seen as a form of neglect or abuse.

Not to mention a Security issue.

Most Military bases have gates, and most U-Hauls are checked at the gates.. one sneaking terrorist on base, or explosives, or other things. So Most if not all are checked. If your Military it can lead to UCMJ action, loss of pay, rank, restrictions, or dismissal from the service. Depending on how far the the Judge Advocate wishes to take it on his base/post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats