U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,577,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I'm conflicted about collars.
I don't like them and I doubt that cats like them.
My cat is microchipped, but what if she gets lost and then gets "adopted" by someone who thinks she has no ID?
That's exactly why my cats have both microchips and collars with ID tags.

The only time any of my cats minded wearing a collar was when they were young and it was put on for the first time. I would only leave it on for a few minutes and then take it off. After a couple of times of doing that they got used to it and don't even seem to be aware that they are wearing one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 10:38 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,274,608 times
When we first moved into the neighborhood, we met this collarless black cat who was always in our backyard when we grilled out (smart kitty ... ) or on our front porch at night. And he was always hungry. We had no idea whose cat he was, and because he is black and our neighborhood is rather busy, we were afraid for him because he wasn't easily visible. So we bought a reflective breakaway collar, and put it on him.

A couple of days later, he shows up on our front porch sporting an ID tag on his collar. His owners lived at the other end of our block. Fortunately, they thought it was amusing, mostly because they said they were never able to get him to hold still long enough to get a collar on him. (we found out he wasn't always hungry because he never was fed, but instead because he's an accomplished scavenger!)

This cat goes through collars like other cats go through cat treats. Every Christmas, we buy our neighbors a gift, and include a couple of cat collars in the package.

I guess the moral of this rambling story is that, if my cats were to go outside at all, I'd get them a collar and an ID tag. Most people believe that no collar = stray cat. Or worse.

Our kitties are indoor cats, and they also wear collars. They're tuxedo cats, so naturally they wear bow-tie collars! Quite the fashion plates, they are.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:47 AM

6,307 posts, read 7,129,660 times
My seven year old cat has always worn a collar. I call him "jingles". And, honestly, there has never been an issue with it.

The collars are always such where they would easily come off. That goes without saying.

I started with the collar when he was young and had a couple of instances where he ran out of the house. I had had him chipped very early on, but I thought, "hey, it's way easier to have a tag on him with my number than to have to deal with that".

So, he has his tag with my name and number on it, in addition to his kitty "guardian angel" tag, which says, "Guardian angel, watch over me, guide me home safely, and keep me from harm's way".

He's "jingles", and there's never been an issue with it. Contrast that to my other cat who detests even seeing me with a collar in my hand.

He doesn't have an issue with it, not that I've ever seen, at least. And, if push came to shove, he'd be able to get out of it with no problems.

I just feel better with him having it. And, to boot, I know that he can't sneak up on me.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:42 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,219,530 times
My son and his wife use to keep my cats while I worked (My job required traveling for extended periods of time) and they bough collars for them, the break away kind of coarse. One day while they were home, one of them got caught on something and the poor cat was being hung and could not get away, it did NOT break away! Mine have not wore collars since, they are now microchipped. I have one that has CH and I WANTED her to wear a collar in case she accidently got out so that if anybody saw her, they would know she was NOT sick but had a birth defect. I have the collars still with the medical thing still on it but I do not put it on her anymore.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:06 AM

416 posts, read 1,419,486 times
my kitty passed away a few weeks ago, cause his breakaway collar did not break away when he was climbing in some vines behind the house i am never going to use one again...

Old 03-26-2009, 07:16 AM

10,091 posts, read 35,789,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodflower View Post
my kitty passed away a few weeks ago, cause his breakaway collar did not break away when he was climbing in some vines behind the house i am never going to use one again...
I am so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, I hear this happening way too often. My cats are strictly indoor cats, so there is really no need for a collar, but even if they were outdoors cats, I would never collar them. For just this reason.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:50 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,462,959 times
I can't get my cats to keep their collars on! They always manage to pull them off so I'm not sure what I"ll do if I ever move into a house with a garden. I'd hate to keep them indoors but I'd panic if they went outside. We need to find an alternative way to ID our cats that's obvious to others, but not irritating or dangerous to them.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:45 AM

605 posts, read 2,464,513 times
I know someone whose cat died when the collar got stuck in the mouth like that when he wasn't home to remove it. I also know someone whose child's kitten strangled when its collar got caught on a plant fence.

My indoor-only cats are collar free, but microchipped. I'm too paranoid, and in my 20+ years of owning indoor only cats only once has a cat of mine gotten out (and she was caught immediately). To me, the risks *greatly* outweigh the benefits.

If you do put a collar on a cat make absolutely sure it isn't loose enough to get caught in the mouth and that the break-away works properly.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 AM

812 posts, read 2,078,812 times
my cat has a collar that's half elastic with pretty bunched up fabric so she looks like a clown when wearing it. when she manages to get it halfway down her body, it looks like a tutu. lol

this is a safe collar from what i can tell.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:10 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,577,145 times
I buy collars and ID tags a dozen at a time. They usually lose two or three a month. Sometimes a neighbor will find one and bring it back. I don’t know how they lose them, but the fact that they do leads me to believe that they are safe and are not going to get the cats hung up anywhere.

I used to have individual ones for each cat with his or her name and the contact info, but when they lost them I had to order it individually and it got very expensive at about $12 per tag. So now I buy them a dozen at a time with just the contact info and they cost about $4 each.

The collars usually cost about $4 each. I have tried several types, but my favorite for full grown cats are all nylon elastic with nickel plated buckles. They are a little heavy for small cats so I use nylon ones with elastic stretch loops for them. But everyone is big enough now, so it’s time to order another batch of elastic collars. They all get red ones as they are the most visible from a distance.

They all wear bells also. They don’t seem to mind them. I had to put them on to make peace with a neighbor lady who has bird feeders that my cats were using as their private hunting grounds.

She said if they kept eating her birds up she was going to shoot them with a BB gun. I told her if she shot my cats I would shoot her husband. She told me to go ahead and shoot him. But we settled on bells for all my cats and nobody got shot.

Last edited by Fat Freddy; 03-27-2009 at 04:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats