U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:55 PM

1,280 posts, read 5,919,859 times

Advertisements

A couple of weeks ago I went to a talk by a lady who had done animal rescue work after the Greensburg tornado. She said there were very few reunions, mostly because pets did not have identification.
My cats are both exclusively indoors and microchipped, and I don't have collars on them. It did make me wonder. We live, after all, in a trailer in Kansas. Also, I am 99.9% certain that my Pippin would act feral if he ever got out, especially after something as scary as a tornado. What if the rescue workers couldn't get close enough to scan him properly? A collar would at least let them know he was owned. I'm not even certain about the availability of microchip scanners in the aftermath of a disaster. Like the lady said, "it's not like a tornado is going to knock on your door and ask to come in."
I haven't decided to put collars on them, but it's certainly given me something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 12:11 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,325,868 times
My sister's cat has never once worn a collar. They just installed a little kitty door for her too a few months ago. Then again, they also have a very secure fenced in backyard. She's mostly and indoor cat but she loves a good romp in the grass. :] The cat got out a few years ago and was gone for days (during a very rainy week too ) but eventually came home on her own--and went straight to the litter box as if she'd been holding it the whole time and dropped the NASTIEST smelling cat-poo ever (sorry if that's a bit TMI). But now the cat is scared to leave the backyard.

I actually didn't realize that the ID chip thing was so common. Wow.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,052,123 times
I have one cat that actually LOVES his collar. He mopes when we take it off. I think he likes the way the bell jingles against his ID tag when he runs. I like hearing him jingle, too. Makes it easy to find him when it's time to come in for the night.

Also, I don't have to deal with little "presents" being left at my door step. My cat enjoys stalking birds, but the bell keeps him from being able to kill them.

We've never had a problem with cats getting their collars caught.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:55 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,733,513 times
My cats are indoors, microchipped, and have collars. They used to not wear collars until one day one of my kitties got out and I could not find her. This was when I lived at an apartment complex. I told the managers and the maintenence guy ended up finding her thankfully. After that I got both my cats collars and they have worn them ever since. They haven't had any dangers that I know of that includes the collars. Plus, the collars have these snap break-away things on them so in case they get caught on something they just snap right off.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:48 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,579,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post

My cat enjoys stalking birds, but the bell keeps him from being able to kill them.
With their tags and bells, my cats jingle like Santa’s reindeer, but they know how to keep them quiet, or some of the birds around here are deaf.

At least a couple times a month one of them brings a bird in through the kitty door.
Sometimes the bird isn’t badly hurt and I can let it go and it will fly away.
Sometimes it’s too late.

The worst is when they bring one in when we aren’t home and we come home to find feathers all over the house.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:53 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,253,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
With their tags and bells, my cats jingle like Santa’s reindeer, but they know how to keep them quiet, or some of the birds around here are deaf.
LOL, I have three cats. Two of them have mastered how to keep their bells quiet while they run around. But the third goes out of his way to jingle just as much as he can. It clearly amuses him. The other two just look at him in disgust, like they're thinking "Oh god, how gauche!"

Old 03-29-2009, 05:33 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,309,162 times
I hate collars, and so do they...I had a collar with a little bell on my latest kitten when I got him home so everyone would be able to hear him and avoid unnecessary step-ons, but once he was big & smart enough to know not to get underfoot, off it went...we were both very happy about it!!! It must be very uncomfortable to have something around your neck all the time. Microchipping and keeping kitties indoors only is the best way to ensure their safety...collars can get ripped off in fights with other cats or strangle them if it gets caught on something. Most responsible people will take a cat to the vet if they want to keep it, and most vets will check for a microchip if they know it was found and not adopted legitimately...sadly, though, there are no guarantees that the person finding the cat will tell the vet it was found, and in these cases the cat will probably never be returned. A person like this could just as easily remove a collar and say the cat is their own, too, so collars and microchipping really both depend on honesty to make a difference in cases like these...

Old 03-30-2009, 10:26 PM

1,367 posts, read 4,973,372 times
I think it depends a lot on the cats. Our older cat has a leather collar, the kind with tiny little spiky thing, she has had it since we got her. It's never bothered her, and since she is indoor and so lazy she'll barely jump onto the couch, there's no need for it to be breakaway.

Our new cat is a different story. He is a total maniac, running throughout the house, on cabinets, on the curtain rods, so for him if we get him a collar it will definitely be the breakaway type.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,874 times
Micro chips may make sense when the risks are balanced, but there is evidence that they have caused cancer in laboratory animals.

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/08/AR2007090800997_pf.html]Chip Implants Linked to Animal Tumors - washingtonpost.com[/url]

Old 09-08-2009, 07:27 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,247,672 times
My cat goes outside and, therefore, never wears a collar b/c she loses the breakaway collars and I do not want her to strangle to death wearing a regular collar that can get caught on something. However, she is microchipped. I've also thought of drawing or photographing the bottom of her feet, as her toe markings are distinctive (three black, one pink on the left foot, two black, two pink on the right foot) as a further identification resource--you know, in case she decides to rid herself of the microchip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats