U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 AM

10,091 posts, read 35,802,367 times

Advertisements

Mine are all microchipped and strictly indoor cats. None have the slightest inclination to even move towards the door when it is opened. So...none of them wear collars. Lord only knows I must have 15 of them sitting here given to us from well meaning friends as gifts. But I see no need to take the chance of one of them snagging a tooth on the others collar or worse yet, the collar getting stuck on the bottom jaw of a cat, as I have seen before.
I absolutely hate bells. Can you imagine any poor cat who must listen to a bell ringing in his ear 24/7?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 03:28 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I donít know how they lose them, but the fact that they do leads me to believe that they are safe and are not going to get the cats hung up anywhere.

They all wear bells also. They donít seem to mind them. .
Ditto.
My cat has gone through several breakaway collars and ID tags.
I really like the latest collar I found: it glows in the dark, which is helpful because she goes out very early in the morning, before sunrise.
(I get her inside for good at noon.)
She wears a bell, too, and never catches birds, but I've had to rescue many lizards.
I like the bell, it's tinkly rather than jingly and it helps me know where she is.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:40 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,249,926 times
I have mentioned this before but there is actually an expression that compares somthing that is nearly impossible to accomplish to "belling a cat."
For example, "Asking him to work on a Saturday would be like trying to bell a cat."

Old 09-11-2009, 07:19 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,584,707 times
I used to put collars on my cat and gave up. I always buy the safety collars and I'm pretty sure that my cat figured out how to remove them. He'd have them off just a day or so after I put one on him. He's fully collarless now and if someone tries to take him in, well, he knows his name and is missing a canine so he's easy to pick out of a lineup.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:55 PM

141 posts, read 242,879 times
I think collars are good because they provide an immediate visual recognition. If there were another way to do it, like a little ear tag or something, I'd be all for it.

There are shelters that don't check for chips. That's really kind of scary.

My cats used to wear a collar, but they got too big for it when they grew up, and they were indoor cats. My outdoor cats, one of them was already 8 or 9 years old when we got her, she was a very intelligent cat, and would not stand to wear a collar.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:30 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,099,454 times
I have two friends who lost their pets from collars.
One was my sister in law who had a small dog that wore a collar. She somehow jumped up on a chair then up on the table and when she jumped off, her collar caught on the edge of the chair back and she hung herself.
The second was a friend who had a cat who had to be on a leash because of the rules of where we were living. She also climbed and when she jumped down, she got entangled in the leash and also hung herself.
After those two incidents, I always kept my dogs without collars until I walked them. I never put a collar of any kind on any of my cats.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,878 times
Default To b.franl...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I'm conflicted about collars.
I don't like them and I doubt that cats like them.
My cat is microchipped, but what if she gets lost and then gets "adopted" by someone who thinks she has no ID?
I am pretty sure that by law, if you find a cat on the streets, you have to take it into the shelter or whatever to see if its microchipped before attempting to adopt it, so.. You're cat should be safe.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,305 times
I never used collars on any of my indoor-outdoor cats for many many years living in small towns with quiet streets and rural homes with acreage and few cars. Suddenly snap off collars was the vogue. Cats were indoor only pets. And you were a monster if you allowed them freedom.

I keep my cats indoors now. Only my oldest 14 year old cat cannot tolerate being indoors and is allowed out in my quiet suburban neighborhood. After he went missing for several days and suddenly came home after I put up a lost cat sign with a picture, I figured he needed to be seen as a pet, not a stray. I got him a break away collar. It was gone in an hour or so. I got him another. Same story. And another and another and so on. So I got him a cheap dog collar that does not break away but loosens easily. That lasted. However, he kept getting his arm tangled in it like someone mentioned above. He always comes to me to remove it, but finally one day the collar disappeared altogether. I have now put a sturdy reflective flat small dog's collar on him. It is about 3/4 inch and lies against his coat. It seems to remain in place well, no tangling around his jaw or arm. We don't have chainlink fences in the neighborhood. He is older now and mostly hangs around my yard, though takes a regular stroll through the neighbors yards to see what he can see before he returns home. I don't know if this collar is the best. It seems to work in my situation. Those skinny little cat collar's seem designed for disaster, catching on things too easily. It would be hard for any thing to push under his flat dog collar.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:58 AM

580 posts, read 1,140,218 times
I'm totally against collars, would you want to wear one? [don't answer that] My Kitsie who is in kitty heaven now, almost choked too death when she got stuck in a bush, she was unconscious when I found her, actually gave her mouth to mouth and in about an hour, she was up and around, that was the end of the collar. I'll never forget that experience and it's been 30 years. My current 2 babies are both rescues, both feral-like, but get cadillac care, food and medical care. I love them and would never put a collar on any animal, I've had 5 dogs in my lifetime, never once used a collar. I consider collars claiming ownership, and I don't consider caring for pets, owning them, especially cats.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:12 AM

1,301 posts, read 637,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
All of my cats wear collars and ID tags. They are also micro-chipped. The collars and tags gives an instant visual recognition that they are pets and not strays, while the chip requires specialized equipment to read and decode it.

There are various kinds of safety collars. Some are break-away, and some are stretchy. All of them are designed to come off under the cats weight, and most of them will release if the cat gets his jaw or foot caught in them.

I also have them pretty loose around the cats' necks and can drag them off or put them on right over their heads. Of course they hate that.

Once in a while one of them will pull somebody else's collar off while wrestling and he will walk around with it like a trophy.
Our cats too. Collared, tagged, and flea collar (my wife prefers that to the spot drops, and it is essential in our area, as deer ticks are common). Our cats are always indoor/outdoor. We use breakaway collars, with about 2 or 3 fingers space inside, so they can slip over the cat's head. They do come home without the collar on occasion.

There was a time I would not have concerned myself about NOT having a collar - but today I do this for 3 reasons. First and foremost, I once had a neighbor tell me he would shoot cats he believed to be feral, if they were on his property. He looked to see if they had a collar.

2nd, a collar can carry ID and a phone number, just in case. And a collar can have a bell, both so I can find the cat, and so fewer birds get caught. They seem to still catch the mice just fine, and I'm all for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats