Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 06:51 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times

Advertisements

Have you put out food and treats, put up flyers, spoken with neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 07:08 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,223 times
Awwww.... Have you rode/walked around your neighborhood to see if you see him? He could have been hit by a car, Or someone else has fed him and took him in thinking he was a stray. Or maybe someone has picked him up and took him to a shelter. Guess it all depends on the area you live in. Hope you find him! :/ BTW Cats can travel up to 3 miles per day..

Old 10-09-2014, 07:13 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,517 times
Did you find your cat?

Old 10-09-2014, 07:32 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
Checking in for news.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:15 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
Sammy, one of my indoor/outdoor cats, has been missing since Sunday. He has never been gone a whole day before, let alone 3. He loves his brother cat to bits and they generally snuggle up for nap or nighttime so I can't imagine what would make him not come home unless he can't. It's possible a coyote or a car got him, but if not, any ideas or suggestions for how to get him to come home?

[And save any bits about how cats shouldn't go outside. I know, he started out as a stray/feral kitten and he never could be satisfied with not adventuring outside. The 2 months I kept him inside he howled every night for hours. He was not meant to be indoors unfortunately.]

Anyway, I love him, he's a goof and a sweetheart and I'd like to get him home if it's possible.
PLEASE let us know what happened to him. I am really hoping he came home.

It IS possible to make a formerly outdoor kitty indoor-only. No lectures, but I am just so so sad how you seemingly nonchalantly wrote "it's possible a coyote or car" got your kitty, when it didn't have to be that way. I looked at some of the photos in your album and the idea that your sweet Sammy was killed outside is just so, so awful. I hope, hope, hope he has made his way home.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:28 AM

844 posts, read 2,019,946 times
I haven't found him yet. I have walked around the neighborhood calling his name each evening. I didn't see him in the road anywhere near our house so if he got hit, he was far away or he crawled off. I put up signs, but frankly he doesn't like any people but me so he's not going to go up to someone or go in their house. They might spot him from a distance. I put out a blanket he likes to sleep on and called his name while banging on his food bowl. I've checked the shelter online and he is mircochipped and my info is up to date.

This site was interesting: Lost Cat Behavior - Missing Pet Partnership

It basically says that cats don't often go that far from their "territory." I know his - there is a greenbelt in back of my house that he stalks every morning/evening. He almost always comes home from the same direction every time. So I am going to see if my neighbor who's yard he usually comes through will let me check her back yard. I'm going to do some deep investigating.

I'm not giving up yet. I love that little (15 lb) guy.

Regarding the car/coyote - It would break my heart but I know it's a reality and possibility and I try to face facts. I know the dangers for outdoor cats. Wishing it weren't so doesn't make it less possible. This cat came to my apartment a few months old and immediately latched on to my 2nd cat, a boy cat, as his big brother. He would sit outside the patio door and wait for Buddy to go out and play with him. One day he showed up with a terrible infection in a back leg. The infection was to the point where it had hardened. I spent months and thousands getting him better. It's been 7 years since then and I'm grateful for all the time I've had with him, but there's no way he would have been happy indoors.

Last edited by kiacook; 10-09-2014 at 09:57 AM..

Old 10-09-2014, 09:31 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,862 times
Not sure it was mentioned, but did you check the lost and found on Craigslist?

Old 10-09-2014, 09:49 AM

844 posts, read 2,019,946 times
I also posted him on Craigslist and will keep checking the lost and found. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm going to put more posters up tonight. I was unsure where to look because if he was scared and ran 3 miles a day he could be anywhere! I think he must be hiding for some reason. It's overwhelming though because there are a million places he would be hiding! Maybe I'll put out smelly food along his usual territory in an attempt to lure him out....

It's also overwhelming because my neighborhood seems to have an unusual # of missing cats. Last year there seemed to be new posters up every other week! That's one reason I suspected some kind of predator.

Last edited by kiacook; 10-09-2014 at 09:58 AM..

Old 10-09-2014, 10:01 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
Keep walking the neighborhood! Knock on every neighbor's door and make person-to-person contact. This is what led us to find Tucker; a neighbor called upon seeing a cat, that turned to be him.

Good times to look are at dawn and dusk. It's quieter then. Or around the usual time you feed him.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:25 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I'm sorry to hear Sammy has disappeared. All paws crossed at our house that he comes home soon.

It sounds like you're doing everything possible to bring him home. Definitely put out the smelly food. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats